CSM+B missing some important Traces - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Azomite huh, I've been using it for the past 2 years lol. I've used it in planted tanks, shrimp tanks, even in a cichlid tank. Azomite powder helps to boost fishes immune system to fight off parasites, disease, as well as boost the overall growth. For shrimp it helps immune system as well, but also helps to strengthen their exoskeleton and boost overall growth.

For aquatic plants Azomite supplies a mineral rich additive, helps to boost the plants ability to fight off parasites, and gives great overall growth.

Now here's the WARNING about Azomite in the planted tank.

Azomite is a potent substance, meaning that if you add too much too fast your plants will start dying off. I use 1/4 teaspoon of Azomite powder per 55 gallons of water once a month, that's right ONCE a month in my 55 gallon tank.

I've settled on this amount because I've done test using more, and using it often to see the results. 1/4 teaspoon once per month I found to be the right amount without any loss of plants, and livestock.

Azomite powder guaranteed analysis

Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

How is it's solubility in water? If I were to does 1/4 tsp dry, does it dissolve as quickly as other dry ferts or is it more like calcium sulfate, where it kind of sits around for a few hours?

I'm really tempted to try this out!
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dose it dry ever month, I just drop right into the current of the outflow from my canister filter and walk off. The current breaks it up, so I'd say it's like dosing other dry ferts. So far I have no complaints once I dialed in the right amount to dose, I had an Anubias Nana that went from 2" across leaf growth to 4" across and almost 8" long.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
I dose it dry ever month, I just drop right into the current of the outflow from my canister filter and walk off. The current breaks it up, so I'd say it's like dosing other dry ferts. So far I have no complaints once I dialed in the right amount to dose, I had an Anubias Nana that went from 2" across leaf growth to 4" across and almost 8" long.

do you have a picture of your tank you used it on?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #20
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I suspect that CSM+B is missing those elements because most are not essential for plant growth.

Chlorine is probably present in one of the salts used to make up one of the other components in CSM+B, something like CaCl2, so it is probably there.

Sodium, cobalt, silicon and selenium can be beneficial to some plant species but they are not essential or even necessary for growth.

Rubidium and vanadium, are not even beneficial for most plants and they are not essential. So you don't need to worry about a vanadium deficiency

http://www.soils.wisc.edu/~barak/soi...6/listofel.htm
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #21
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wouldn't buying a bottle of Flourish be the easy way to add those elements?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #22
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
do you have a picture of your tank you used it on?
Here's my old 75 gallon high tech tank that I traded for a 100 gallon tank.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #23
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
I suspect that CSM+B is missing those elements because most are not essential for plant growth.

Chlorine is probably present in one of the salts used to make up one of the other components in CSM+B, something like CaCl2, so it is probably there.

Sodium, cobalt, silicon and selenium can be beneficial to some plant species but they are not essential or even necessary for growth.

Rubidium and vanadium, are not even beneficial for most plants and they are not essential. So you don't need to worry about a vanadium deficiency

http://www.soils.wisc.edu/~barak/soi...6/listofel.htm

we are still mising NIckel from csm+b which is highlited in green color, even though we can get away without adding other traces, i still think adding nickel would improve the csm+b.

Kekon at APC talks about adding Nickel in the trace and it has proven to show postive results.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #24
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Possibly but the concentration of nickel you need for plants to be healthy is below 0.0001 ppm. This crazy low amount could come from virtually any source. Fish flake food, dust in the air, whatever gets past an RO membrane, residual amounts in your substrate. And as far as I know nickel is only used in that one enzyme in plants, so understandably the plants hardly need any at all.

See my research on the subject over at APC:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tml#post661982
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Azomite huh, I've been using it for the past 2 years lol. I've used it in planted tanks, shrimp tanks, even in a cichlid tank. Azomite powder helps to boost fishes immune system to fight off parasites, disease, as well as boost the overall growth. For shrimp it helps immune system as well, but also helps to strengthen their exoskeleton and boost overall growth.

For aquatic plants Azomite supplies a mineral rich additive, helps to boost the plants ability to fight off parasites, and gives great overall growth.

Now here's the WARNING about Azomite in the planted tank.

Azomite is a potent substance, meaning that if you add too much too fast your plants will start dying off. I use 1/4 teaspoon of Azomite powder per 55 gallons of water once a month, that's right ONCE a month in my 55 gallon tank.

I've settled on this amount because I've done test using more, and using it often to see the results. 1/4 teaspoon once per month I found to be the right amount without any loss of plants, and livestock.

Azomite powder guaranteed analysis

Please share ANY sources that promote this powder as boosting fishes immune system,increased growth of fishes ,treatment or preventitive for parasites.
Or are these just your observation's?
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #26
WendyF
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thank you so much for chiming in with your experience! I'm very excited to try out the sample Azomite a nice guy at my LFS gave me. What he gave me in granules & you say you use a powder - would you grind it up before dry dosing? I really appreciate you sharing your history with this stuff.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Ni is proven results in planted tanks? Really? Forget light intensity and CO2, it's all about some hyper minor trace? I agree with what Zapins stated. This would be incredibly difficult to demonstrate for a researcher, let alone a hobbyists.

CMS does fine, I think finding another product or source is fine also, particularly if it is cheaper and more available. If it has these other minor minor traces just to be sexy, well hunky dory.

I've yet to find any plant species that I cannot grow quite well using CMS.
In fact, I have long offered challenges to others making such claims for various nutrients, ppm's and I've never lost yet after 20 years now. Name the plant that has trouble specific to these traces and is improved by this?
You need to be able to state this, otherwise it's pie in the sky and you have no clear hypothesis to test.

So the real issue is one that offers another product that is similar, does the same type of job and is cheap/more available etc. I'm on board there. The rest is speculation/wishful thinking I would argue.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Still waiting for any sources that promote this trace mineral powder,in the boosting of fishes immune system,increased growth,or as preventitive /treatment against parasites,disease.(I nearly spit up).
I have some miracle mud that will make you look ten year's younger. Don't mind the manure smell.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Please share ANY sources that promote this powder as boosting fishes immune system,increased growth of fishes ,treatment or preventitive for parasites.
Or are these just your observation's?

Proof of Azomite use... Disregard the "algae" part of the video, because in powder form Azomite does not increase algae in aquariums.

So are you done with being "that guy"?

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 09-25-2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: ...
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

...lawn chair.....pop corn......
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote