The Rex Reactor - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #211
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Don't see the point: if the reactor is built right, it will dissolve 100% of co2. No bubbles.

v3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #212
jeffdenney
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Don't see the point: if the reactor is built right, it will dissolve 100% of co2. No bubbles.

v3
Really? I didnt know they worked that well. Maybe I will just pull the inline diffuser off and build me a nice reactor/inline heater/ water change ball valve setup.. kill three birds with one stone. Lol thanks for the help

25 gal.-api renastart xp1 anf xp2- 2 custom spraybars with diy inline heater and water change valve (so key!)-odyssea-4x24w t5ho. 4in raised.-injected co2 via up inline diffuser-florite and sane substrate.-java fern-amazon sword-marsilea minuta-water wisteria (crappy)-dwarf hair grass-anubias afanzeli (spellcheck)-telanthera cardinalis-10 tiger barbs-6 glofish tetras-7 otocinclus -1 german blue ram. females died.-2 albino corydoras. I know need 6
ei dosing and 6 hours light 100%
jeffdenney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #213
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I built one a few weeks ago and I have my co2 maxed out with no micro-bubbles only nice pearling plants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #214
yobofofas
Algae Grower

Just built my Rex Reactor today but can't pick up my C02 tank till monday. Bummer. But I do plan on getting it hooked up inline to make sure my flow isn't too limited. Did any of you have flow issues? If so is it just as easy as getting a more powerful pump?
yobofofas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #215
yobofofas
Algae Grower

Hooked up the reactor today and it works great. No flow issues at all. I went with 2" PVC and an 18" length. Seems to work great. There are a few micro-bubbles every once and a while but I'm pretty happy. Thanks REX.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #216
yobofofas
Algae Grower

I'm curious; I switched out my spray bar for a clear PVC spray bar and I'm wondering if the increased flow will cause outgassing. I've got the spray bar just below the water level pointing up at a slight angle to create surface distortion. Am I just completely out gassing all the CO2 my Rex Reactor has mixed into the water?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #217
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobofofas View Post
I'm curious; I switched out my spray bar for a clear PVC spray bar and I'm wondering if the increased flow will cause outgassing. I've got the spray bar just below the water level pointing up at a slight angle to create surface distortion. Am I just completely out gassing all the CO2 my Rex Reactor has mixed into the water?
It depends on how much surface agitation you are creating, but no, it should not be a problem. My outflow creates quite a bit of surface disturbance (without breaking the surface though) and I don't find I need to crank my CO2 particularly high.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #218
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I decided to rebuild and recommission an old Rex reactor.

I didn't think the injection through the brass barb was completely ideal so I placed two small o-rings around a roughly 1.5" long piece of co2 tubing, then super glued that on the inside part of the brass barb to extend the injection point to the center of the water flow inside the reactor. I found a can of "hammertone" Krylon Fusion at hobby lobby on clearance for three bucks, I think it turned out kind of nice.

I blasted hot water through the reactor with a python for an hour after letting the PVC glue and paint dry for two hours outside before hooking it up. I added activated carbon to the tank to absorb any acetone that may be leaching into the water, I also put some purigen in the filter the day before.. the stuff is amazing.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #219
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

I am wondering how people are measuring the level of CO2 in their tank after this unit is installed, an how long after hooking it up do u see the changes? If u use a drop checker did it turn green or stay green within mins/hrs, or did u have to wait a day or so. Those with bubble counters did u have to turn the output down or up?
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #220
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
I am wondering how people are measuring the level of CO2 in their tank after this unit is installed, an how long after hooking it up do u see the changes? If u use a drop checker did it turn green or stay green within mins/hrs, or did u have to wait a day or so. Those with bubble counters did u have to turn the output down or up?
1.drop checker

2.co2 level start to rise immediately but it takes a little while for the DC indicator to change, maybe an hour? Never timed it.

3.not really understanding the BC question, it is just for reference and doesn't really mean anything, you use the DC reading to fine tune your output, then the BC as a visual reference for the particular tank.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #221
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
1.drop checker

2.co2 level start to rise immediately but it takes a little while for the DC indicator to change, maybe an hour? Never timed it.

3.not really understanding the BC question, it is just for reference and doesn't really mean anything, you use the DC reading to fine tune your output, then the BC as a visual reference for the particular tank.
I know all these items we have to measure CO2 on our tanks is just an estimate or to reference, as I'm reading the posts others state that they are now havering to turn down to a lower bubble count than before. I'm askin cuz when I had the Ista max on my tank I actually had to turn my pressure/output up same as when I had one of those bootleg diffusers off eBay on my tank not speakin about the output on reg. but output on the NV.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #222
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

The Rex reactor built the same way Rex did achieves 100% diffusion, or at least to the human eye it does. So if you're replacing a diffuser that creates visible micro-bubbles then yes, you may need to drop your output a bit.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #223
gnatnog
Algae Grower

I know this thread is ancient, but i'm interested in building one of these reactors. I'm hoping someone has the plans still since the links don't seem to be working anymore?
gnatnog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #224
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I'm gunna build one of these. I don't know why I have waited so long.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #225
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I bought parts last summer to build one but never got around to it. Since my current project got underway with construction, I went ahead and went with the Cerges Reactor. It's in place but not operational at this time. Considering I never returned the parts for the Rex Reactor, I will go ahead and construct the Rex reactor and install it on my 125g plant only grow out tank. I'd like to be able to compare the two.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.