Are my Rams Male and Female?? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Alpha Pro Breeders

Old 09-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
iamtechno
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

On the original picture they both look like males. It looks like there is a little red but I'm pretty sure that is just the fin which a lot of the time has red in it. The only way to tell for sure on German Blue Rams is a pink belly which indicates a female. You can look at the dorsal fin as the males are typically larger and more extended and the blue on the black spot and have an idea but the only way to tell is the pink belly. You'll know it when you see it. The picture with the 2 fish in the planted tank is a great example. Once you start getting into the Electric Blue Rams it starts getting harder to tell cause you can't see the pink as easily or at all. I currently have and breed Electric Blue Rams, German Blue Rams and Gold Rams. They are such cool fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
fishwater
Planted Member

The length of the anal and dorsal fins are the best way to determine sex. If both the anal and dorsal fins extend beyond the caudal peduncle and into the caudal (tail) fin then it is a male. Females rarely if ever have both the fins extend beyond the caudal peduncle. The rose/pink belly would be the next determining factor, though this is not always visible. Then next would be the black spot, males usually have no blue specks in their black spot, however some do. It looks like you have 2 females but hard to say for sure I'm no ichthyologist. Also if the fish is not yet full grown it may be hard to determine sex from the fin length.
Eheim Pimp #533
46g
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
iamtechno
Planted Member

When it comes to German Blue Ram's, the only surefire way to tell is the pink belly, especially around breeding time. I've been told to look at the fins just like the previous post but you can still be fooled by that. I have a couple female rams, an EBR and a GBR that the females look like males if you just look at the fins. One of them was sold to me by my LFS as a male before I got home and realized it so don't trust just looking at the fins unless you really know what you're looking for. The Electric Blue's are harder to determine the sex as the pink is all but covered up at which point you have to look at the fins and make the determination. After having Ram's long enough it gets really easy to tell.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
Jason K
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I also purchased a pair of GBRs from APB about a month ago. They said they couldn't guarantee a sexed pair...and I'm also still having trouble sexing them based on coloration.

But they do constantly follow each other around and dig nests in the substrate, so I'm assuming I have a sexed pair. Not sure if this is a fair assumption?

On a side note, APB sent really nice looking fish, except one was missing a pelvic fin (a la Nemo)...which is a bummer.

Tags
breeding, german blue ram