My first Iwagumi with stonehenge look: 20G Seaclear LowTech DHG only acrylic tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
gagaliya
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi guys,

1) Regarding nutrients, I am dosing micro (seachem flourish) and k (seachem potassium), n as noted is already sky high (from the aqua soil leaking ammonia), only thing i am not dosing is p. But given aquasoil is very high in nutrient contents and dhg is heavy root feeders, i really dont think lack of nutrient is the issue.

2) In regards to trimming, i have done it 3 times so far, but for some strange reason not only did it not promote growth, all the hairgrass i trimmed turned brown and died, they never recovered. Originally i thought the brown was from the initial emersed growth but after the 2nd trimming it was obvious those were from the healthy hair grass, they just never recovers and turn brown after getting trimmed.

3) I think the light output might be the problem too despite all the current usa measurements posted (per current usa i should be getting ~28 par at 14" from substrate height), but on the other hand i think it is also the only thing preventing my tank turning into an algae factory given the high nutrient levels in the tank and lack of growth.

I have ordered the following plants, will just plant them over dhg, i am sure the dwarf sag will cover up all dhg in a month or two. Just throwing **** against the wall at this point, hoping a few plants will grow. So much for iwagumi, this is a fail so far.

I ordered below, all should be easy plant and do ok under low/med light?
1) narrow leaf dwarf sag
2) Rotala Indica, rotundifolia
3) Didiplis diandra
4) Blyxa Japonica

Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #17
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I forgot flourish covers micro's. I still would not be spending money on liquid ferts. Buy the dry stuff it's so much cheaper and you know exactly what your getting.

I have had amazing results with dry EI dosing ferts, pressurized C02 and aquasoil. My DHG grows like weeds. The main difference is our lights. I am running two TMC growbeam 1500 ultima's. They are made for plant growth and work very well. Again check out that article I linked you. When buying a light for plants it's not just about PAR and Kelvin.
Good Luck!
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Quebec128
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What is your opinion on the Tunze Comline 3162 you are using ?
Quebec128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
gagaliya
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec128 View Post
What is your opinion on the Tunze Comline 3162 you are using ?
It's excellent and very powerful with a built in area to hide your heater, you can also poke a tiny hole on the intake grills and put a co2 tube all way down into the input opening of the filter to get near 100% co2 dissolution. Basically with this 1 filter, you dont need anything else cluttering up in the tank.

Another advantage is the intake is on top, so it prevents the nasty film from forming on the surface common to planted tanks without surface movement. You can put the filter a bit below surface to avoid movement but it still prevents any films from forming.

Downside is it's big (for a 20 gallon see my photo), but makes a very clean setup overall.

Last edited by gagaliya; 09-24-2013 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: change
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
gagaliya
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
I forgot flourish covers micro's. I still would not be spending money on liquid ferts. Buy the dry stuff it's so much cheaper and you know exactly what your getting.

I have had amazing results with dry EI dosing ferts, pressurized C02 and aquasoil. My DHG grows like weeds. The main difference is our lights. I am running two TMC growbeam 1500 ultima's. They are made for plant growth and work very well. Again check out that article I linked you. When buying a light for plants it's not just about PAR and Kelvin.
Good Luck!
thanks i read the link, the color range i think is fine for the freshwater led+, just the output brightness. I am going to see how the new plants behave after a few weeks before deciding to replace.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
Quebec128
Algae Grower

Awesome... it looks quite a bit smaller than the Filter that is part of the Riverpack 605. That uses the Comline 3166 filter that works quite well although it has not slot for a heater.

How easy is it to change the filter media ?
Quebec128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn

Easter Island Stonehenge

SevenportsJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #23
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

nice tank. that DHG is gonna take foooorrrreeevvveeerrrr to grow.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
gagaliya
Algae Grower

So all the new plants i just got are doing poorly after being in the tank for about 2 weeks, even though those are suppose to be easy plants.

1) narrow leaf dwarf sag
2) Rotala Indica, rotundifolia
3) Didiplis diandra
4) Blyxa Japonica

Only the very top tip are healthy for the rotala and didiplis. blyxa has pretty much melted completely i am about to pull it out. Dwarf sags are not doing anything at all but unhealthy leaves, when i had it last time it was growing like weed (see my signature for old tanks). And all the DHG i pulled out mostly had no growth as you can see the roots never sent out runners.

My conclusion is my current led+ is just not good enough, all other params (pressurized co2, aquasoil, npk+micro+iron dosing) are best as they can be.

So i have ordered the buildmyled.com iwagumi 7000k 24" led strip.

It must be the light right? or this tank is just cursed...i never had so much problem growing plants including my first newbie plant tank argh!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
yellabelly
Algae Grower

Default So how we doing?

Im pretty much in the same boat now that you were 8 months ago. DHG doing poorly with what seemed to be a "perfect" setup. Ive got 80+ par with Finnex leds, plenty of co2, dosing nutrients regularly, etc... bout to yank it out and try some sag, hygro and swords. Hows the BuildmyLED? The tank? Hope you persevered!
yellabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #26
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

From the looks of it, you've done everything perfectly. I remember when I used to grow regular DHG. It was pretty fast and grew pretty well. I noticed that it grows through new runners, trimming it caused the leaves to die off. But one thing I remembered, it was excruciatingly SLOW. To get it to carpet well, you'd need a lot more than the amount you had to have it make a decent carpet

This is my DHG 'Belem' I currently have growing and attempting to carpet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (64).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	322210

I have it growing both emersed and submerged and this has been about 2-3 weeks of growth from it. When I had it originally, it was just small plugs worth of it. I believe it just takes a lot more time than you expect it to take.
mistuhmarc is offline   Reply With Quote