ADA 60P---Failure....Low Tech again. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #31
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Oh snap, more people with the Besta stand for their 60P. I got the glossy red doors with glossy white top. Maybe a new pimp group, hmmm?

Get the glossy glass cover, it's awesome!
I probably would have went more wild on the color if it was in another room besides our living room. I couldn't figure out if they made the blue/teal door in this size but I really like the white/teal setup they seemed to have on display everywhere in Ikea.

What is the glass cover? Not sure I saw that. I can't tell in the picture how thick it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
You need more plants.

v3
I think you are right. Honestly, I held off on buying plants specifically because we were planning to meet. Just bought plants I really wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenteam View Post
I agree with OVT. Always best to start heavy in planted tank and then remove/replace as you get the tank to the look you want.
I agree. I almost always do it that way. I don't have many local places (that are truly local) that I trust for plants. I would say I get 90% of my plants from OVT these days.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #32
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's not very thick at all, you can get them in the same colour or size of your stand. I believe they are 10 dollars for your size, mine was 20 because it is twice as big.

Here the top, not very thick at all.

I got the red doors because they were on sale, they were the same price as the non glass ones.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #33
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

That's pretty cool, didn't see that when I was there. It doesn't really matter at this size because I would never see it so I will wait on it.

I know others said it before but you red CO2 tank is super awesome.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

setups looking good! Dont stress to much about getting water on the stand, The new ikea laminate is much better than it used to be.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
setups looking good! Dont stress to much about getting water on the stand, The new ikea laminate is much better than it used to be.
I will probably just add some furnature polish to the sides and bottom as it looks the same as my desk which had minor issues after someone spilled a drink on my mixing console and I choose to sacrifice my desktop for my board and didn't clean it up ASAP.

The door may be the most problematic but they are $5 in this finish.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #36
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, this is my hilarious update as I tried to add some clippings from my nano into this. Honestly, it's more because I was bored than anything. I do have someone helping me with plants and I may have got lucky with another member I have yet to meet. I took just a few plants I wanted to be able to check growth/color on. I have some very fast growers I want to see if I can maintain and some plants I want to gauge the color on. Obviously, I won't get that right away at the substrate level but it's fine. Everything is randomly placed for now, and likely for awhile, until I have a good idea of what plants I will use.

I got to say I am loving the poppy glass. My filter is kind of slow but I can tell it was the right choice for this tank. Nice, gentle current all around.

Not much to see, this is just for me to compare to later:
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #37
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Not to keep updating a thread that isn't going anywhere fast but here is more.

I had planned on doing some sort of RGB setup. It didn't look right on the light, plus, even though the LED strips were supposed to be 2ft, they were a bit over so they didn't really fit on the outside of my light, much less something I could retro fit in.

I have done a few tanks with a backlight and I thought it was cool. I used florescent light in the past and they all had a bottom rim. With the high clarity glass, it's really quite stunning.

I just used my old background that doesn't fit, obviously. Here are a few settings, just all over the place from appealing to over the top. The last are dimmed to show that it doesn't have to be totally over the top.

Just another thing to play with...
Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #38
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

How could I have missed this thread until now??? Great start. You need some more plants in there ASAP!
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #39
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

I have been eying some LEDs that loco4tanks found on eBay, they are single color LEDs but for ~$10 ea... I'm still looking for something to back light the riparium plants.

Yours look awesome, I just cannot figure out if its a single RGB light or multiple bulbs? Way cool.

v3
Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #40
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Whoa thats so cool
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I have been eying some LEDs that loco4tanks found on eBay, they are single color LEDs but for ~$10 ea... I'm still looking for something to back light the riparium plants.

Yours look awesome, I just cannot figure out if its a single RGB light or multiple bulbs? Way cool.

v3
They are RGB LED strips with remote. I impulse bought them at Costco a few weeks ago. This is exactly what I have:
Amazon.com: Sylvania 72344 Mosaic Flexible Light Kit: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Sylvania 72344 Mosaic Flexible Light Kit: Home Improvement

The strips are 2ft long. With the supplied connectors, you can hook up 5 strips on a 2ft long tank.

I texted you about meeting up today. If you want, I can bring it with me as I mounted them to a plate right now to try various things with them.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #42
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So, one reason I didn't have plants is my hommie OVT offered a nice bit of hang out time and help on the plants. I have not at all thought about the layout, just wanted them in the tank to so I can see where everything will go. I don't have any of my "highlight" plants yet as I don't know where to put them. Well, I have one, not in the right place because I do not know where the right place is.

Anyway, here is my plant farm, it will get arranged as I have time. Dutch style isn't a bunch of plants in the gravel, my tank...is just that. We will see how it comes a long

Old 09-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #43
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

I also have a besta ikea stand! it fits the tank perfectly! I reinforced it a bit just to absolutely ensure that it would be able to withstand the tanks weight.
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #44
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Hahah so many people are getting this stand, it's awesome to see a cheap option for the 60P.

What did you do to reinforce the stand?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So....I have already gone through my first iteration of the day. I have to say, I almost wish I didn't have so many plants. Usually when I do an all stem tank, have about 3-5 background plants, most, then my foreground and slowly build out from there. For example, here is my 6 gallon going month by month. You can see how it really transistions quickly from nothing into something. Here is a month by month of that:

June

July

August

September

I keep finding myself rearranging my plants on this one, only to feel I made it uglier. I need to remind myself to have patience as it will need to grow into itself, and won't really look right until it's manicured, something that takes time.

Here is where I am at now on the 60P