New Era fish food.. looks like a good product
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

New Era fish food.. looks like a good product

For those who went to the BAS auction, there was a New era vendor (well, promoter, they couldnt sell anything) with samples... was hoping Yourfishstuff would be there but this food seems pretty good. Theres no retail store right now here selling it... I see it online and kensfish will have it soon.

http://www.new-era-aquaculture.com/f...tropical-range

The regular flake/pellet stuff looks good (and is moist too) but what I find the most interesting is the grazer and pleco pellets. Kinda expensive- $9+ a small jar I was quoted.

The grazer one has this plastic piece with a suction cup..and the food is a ring that you stick on it, so fish can graze on it wherever you put it. I just tried a sample right now, which is what prompted me to write all this...the skiffias love it. There was a post recently showing these repashy feeding discs..small ceramic plates you can stick to the tank side after you put the repashy on it.. same deal here, just much easier.

My gripes with both repashy and this grazing ring is that if they take a bite, small particles go flying everywhere and into the gravel..but right now I see an oto furiously going at the gravel under the ring right now so I guess he likes it.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Thanks for the write up. I'd be more interested in their food if they weren't so vague about the ingredients. These are the tropical flake ingredients:

Quote:
Fish and Fish Derivatives, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Algae, Oils and Fats, Molluscs and Crustaceans, Minerals.
The vitamins and minerals added to their flakes look promising though.

Quote:
Sensory Additives: Astaxanthin 83mg/kg.
Nutritional Additives: Vitamin A 10,000iu/kg, Vitamin D3 2,000iu/kg, Vitamin E 200iu/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 417mg/kg, Manganous Oxide 313mg/kg, Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 297mg/kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 7.9mg/kg, Sodium Molybdate 6.4mg/kg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 2.4mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 0.2mg/kg
I might try out their brand once I run out of NLS flakes.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Flo,

nice write up. can you give us an idea on the size of the feeding discs? quarter, half dollar?

Does the suction cup feeder come one per package or are these extra?

this may soon be a fan favorite in the shrimp community
Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have no idea if its good for shrimp..I was mostly interested in finding more new foods with veggie content. I agree the ingred list on the website is vague, but the packaging is more accurate..I have uh, heres the bag of algae flake ingreds

Fish meal, seaweed meal, cornstarch, fish oil, mussel, squid, krill, shrimp..everything else is additives like vitamins. The marine grazer one I have is the same. The marine pellets (he ran out of freshwater samples) is pretty similar without the seaweed meal.

No idea on feeders being included, probably includes at least 1..the sample I have has one feeder plus 2 food rings.. I see on dr foster smith you can buy a 5 or 6 pack.

first putting it in, its a suction cup with a little pole where you stick the food ring on, then another button piece you stick on top to keep the food in place

looks like the thing is an inch

bites taken out..I just took this picture so..its been about an hour? probably wouldnt last too long in the big tank- Im gunna move it in a sec and see how those fish like it
Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
I have no idea if its good for shrimp..I was mostly interested in finding more new foods with veggie content. I agree the ingred list on the website is vague, but the packaging is more accurate..I have uh, heres the bag of algae flake ingreds

Fish meal, seaweed meal, cornstarch, fish oil, mussel, squid, krill, shrimp..everything else is additives like vitamins. The marine grazer one I have is the same. The marine pellets (he ran out of freshwater samples) is pretty similar without the seaweed meal.

No idea on feeders being included, probably includes at least 1..the sample I have has one feeder plus 2 food rings.. I see on dr foster smith you can buy a 5 or 6 pack.

first putting it in, its a suction cup with a little pole where you stick the food ring on, then another button piece you stick on top to keep the food in place

looks like the thing is an inch

bites taken out..I just took this picture so..its been about an hour? probably wouldnt last too long in the big tank- Im gunna move it in a sec and see how those fish like it
That list looks more reassuring. Thanks.

That's so cool! I've always wanted to give my mid and top feeders more of a chance to graze on foods with veggies without having them to compete with my kuhlis.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (334/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

Wish I went there so my fish could try out the food. Seems interesting!
Missed out on those 5.5 gallon tanks. Meh!
-G
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

i bought a container of New Era TropicalGrazer and fed the first disc to my 40g with cardinals/neons, rams, white clouds, otos, apistos, pristella xray tetras and scissor rasboras.

No one apart from an oto even touched it within the first 2 hours. after 7 hours, the disc was still intact and i moved it to my live bearer tank where it was decimated. Mind you they eat my net and my hands when in the tank so they arent hard to please.

Sorry New Era, but this grazer isnt a hit with my fish or maybe i feed them too well and they've all become snobs. I'll try again this week when i have time to observe them.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL bummer. my big tank fish arent picky at all, seriously..they ate it really fast. Ill take some off your hands if you still arent happy with it haha. Maybe the pleco pellets would be better. Mine all like the flakes and pellets.

e: maybe the method of delivery is new to them. it took em a bit to realize the disc = food and they had to bite pieces off of it
Old 09-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

im gonna have to try it with my formosas, embers and pencilfish next. I have lots of tanks to test with so food's never wasted. I absolutely love kensfish/yourfishstuff for carrying so much variety for my fish
Old 09-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I tried one of their tropical pellest. Took my fish a few minutes to figure out it was food; once they did one of my cardinals just ripped the whole thing off and ate it whole
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #11
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

that tells me my fish are spoiled im not proud but all my fish are fatties
Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #12
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

ok so the food was tested in my high tech tank with pencilfish, amandae/ember tetras and sparkling white clouds. No one even noticed the food though the kuhli's usually feed after lights out. will hve to check in the morning... this is quite a disappointing product. Its no wonder why it wasnt marketed any further.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.