The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY - Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 40" x 40" x 28" - 185 Gal

116K views 140 replies 67 participants last post by  majerah1 
#1 ·
Good day to Europe, I am French more precisely, i'm 26 (in advance thank you to forgive me for my English aproximatif, I use an online translator). :tongue:

I developed a certain passion for the world of paludariums, I love to imagine and create sets each time different and unique. Thank you to nature for inspiration innépuisable she gives me every time.

I have long wanted to share my creations. I am the author of the project entitled "Waterfall Paludarium" you may have seen on youtube also : Waterfall Paludarium HD 1080p - YouTube

Here is my blog for more details on its construction : Waterfall Paludarium (Project completed)

--------------------

And I now work for several months on a new project I titled Island Paludarium 360°. I was eager to introduce him.
Here is my blog for more details on its construction : Island Paludarium 360 ° (New Project)

Presentation of the New Project

Project status : Under construction
Type : Paludarium
Size of the tank : 40" x 40" x 28"
NET volume of the tank : 185 Gallon
Closed : Yes
Materials : 8mm glass tank, gallery and wooden furniture OSB
Lightning : 100% LEDs 9x30W
Aeration : Two PC fans (12cmx12cm)
Irrigation : A pump 1300L/h for the system of rain
Cascade/waterfall : A pump 2000L/h
Wave system : Vibration pump 5000L/h
Fogger/mist : 3 Fogger in the waterfall
Type of water : 100% rainwater (not limestone)
Type of scene : Natural & Artificial : Natural Seychelles sand, polyurethane foam rocks covered with waterproof mortar and acrylic paint, driftwood branch, artificial vines
Plants : Terrestrial and epiphytic (gardenia, frangipani, vanilla, ferns, orchids, tillandsia, ficus, helxine, moss)
Planting technique/substrate : Felt geotextile (kept wet by rain system)
Animals : Land hermit crabs (Pagou), drosophila for the atmosphere "gnats", probably snails (Neritina), and can be Agalychnis callidryas and crickets
Height of water : 5 in or 35 gal
TOTAL weight : Approximately 550 lb (including water)
Next step : Getting water, system rain creation, waves, waterfall, and mist

For this third project is an island 360° that I will realize, the tank is glass 8mm thick and 100cm fully closed side, the Seychelles natural sand will form a small island strewn with boulders, covered vegetation, driftwood branches and vines falling from the ceiling fill the space, and will be covered with orchids and moss (lots of moss).

Side vegetation, I will try with specific plants such as frangipani with its beautiful yellow flowers and the famous Flower of Gardenia Tiare Tahitensis, as usual with a database of several varieties of ferns and orchids Vanilla is climbing).

A system of artificial climate will be set up to recreate the rain (and therefore the natural watering of all plants by this technique), the waves will also fail on the outskirts of the island through a pump vibration and the wind that will provide aeration and naturally move the foliage.

For lighting, we go for the 100% LED, ie "High power" of the 30W unit, there will 9x30W ... I would also like to thank kdj2 a parallel forum for his very constructive post on its tests of these LEDs. I left without him definitely on turbo neon. However I have not yet done so to test for these LEDs there, but it will spend the time comes.

Plants :
Frangipani Plumeria rubra Yellow, Gardenia Tahitensis "Tiare Flower", Orchid Vanilla planifolia,
A dozen mini Orchids varied Driopteris atrata Fern, Ficus Ginseng
Fern Polypodium vulgare, Blechnum fern spicant, Tillandsia Brachycaulus,
Tillandsia Butzii, Areca palm, Ficus punctata Helxine, moss.​

See less See more
#82 ·
Re: Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 185 Gal - Waves

Thank you :)

Climate System - Waves

To avoid constant static effect on the surface, pumps waves (or pump vibration) brew 150 liters of water and gives it life.

The waves are also randomly assigned to alternate with other climatic phases.

The second beneficial effect of the water current is the dispersion of sand dunes forming underwater. What makes the beach more natural.

Next steps : Complete overhaul of the gallery system and rain.

Following soon.

#85 ·
This tank, no joke, looks like a display I would expect to see in a major aquarium.

It's unreal.
Thank you both :)

The hermits crabs that I intended to install initially will not be part of the project for their regular salt water needs is not compatible with the ubiquitous freshwater and plants all around. But I did not do this project just for the animals, it is especially for plants in the first place ;)

#94 ·
Re: Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 185 Gal - The Rain

Total overhaul of the System of Rain and Gallery

The rain system that I crafted in July of last year, it did not prove fully effective and deserved to be completely redone. I hoped that this first test would conclude but that was not the case. I even amended again several times without major improvements. But this is no big deal, because I made the decision based on my results I got with the first prototype, entirely redo it and thought better.

I had already thought about improvements in the first implemented, so I was able apply.

It was worth it because the rain was not perfect, dripping too has some places and not at all to others ... The more so she could not run unattended, because of the drops accumulated on the rails and falling by ground within a few minutes.

I remind that rain is not simply "aesthetic or decorative", but especially in order to meet the real needs of plants that will be installed underneath.

The problems experienced with the previous prototype are now all resolved. The rain is now perfect on the entire surface of the project except for one detail...

The Disadvantage of rain (because nothing is ever perfect) are collaterals splashing on the windows ...
This is the price to pay, because you must know what you want, I wanted the rain, I've had it with what it means :)

But the droplets on the windows do not stay long, they gradually disappear with the activation of ventilation.

But past that little detail, the result is now there and the magic of the rain too.

The moisture percentage rises well when the rain is on.

Note that the rain is almost invisible on white background.
However it shines and lights up on the black background.

The water cycle is fully closed circuit, the water of paludarium that is reused for rain, no external supply of water is added.

The rain is not continuous function, like other systems, it alternates randomly varying and rebalance of humidity, temperature, etc ...

And finally, the video.

#95 ·
Re: Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 185 Gal - Installing the Vegetation

Installing the Vegetation

These are the mosses which in this project will serve as a substrate for plants, replacing the artificial technique geotextile felt, usually used for some years in this discipline (this technique just took over the principle of nature to retain moisture).

The mosses resume the role they play in nature ie, provide root support for plants and maintenance of their water needs.

A completely natural and living substrate, it works so well for millions of years it did not need changing.

Plants benefit from the rain as in the wild. Looking more closely, nature is really well done because when they fall on the leaves, the drops are automatically channeled to the major branches dripping stems, all leading directly to the roots. The substrate thus receives water directly provided by plants, it is moistened and kept moist at least until the next automatic start of the rain.

As the water used is free of limestone, the leaves do not suffer from the rain.

The plants were mainly found online about Ben's Jungle, Karnivores and Le Jardin du Pic Vert.

And finally, a 3D animation to better understand the volumes and relief.
Click the link below to view the animation.

http://clickerfou.free.fr/paludarium/island/Island-Paludarium-360_079-3D.html

Next step : Detailed vegetation listing.

Following soon. ;)

#97 ·
Re: Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 185 Gal - Listing Plants

Detailed listing of the Vegetation

The current vegetation consists of 25 different varieties of plants including :

Ferns :

Dryopteris atrata

European Fern(unnamed).

Blechnum spicant

Polypodium vulgare

Asplenium trichomanes

Mosses :

Java moss, seeded on aerial branches.

Lebermoos, located on the rocks at the water's edge.

Sagina subulata

and several other varieties of foams European type that serve as a substrate with Sphagnum Chile.

Creeping & climbing:

Helxine

Ficus pumila (repens)

Pyrrosia serpens

Different Orchids:

They find their places in epiphytic on aerial branches of driftwood. Their hydration is also ensured by the rain and humidity.

Vanilla planifolia is also climber likes to expand and colonize its support vines.

Haraella Ordorata

Angreacum didieri

Masdevallia Constricta x heathii

Ceratosylus retisquama syn. rubra

Psygmorchis Pusilla (it took a hit to warm before installation, I hope she will recover).

Pleurothallis Spec. Mittelamerika

Oncidium variegatum

And a mini-Phalaenopsis.

Not forgetting to mention the sweet and exhilarating white flowers Islands represented in this project by the Gardenia jasminoides.

(Not yet in bloom at the moment)

The "palm" type Chamaedorea elegans

A chlorophytum.

And finally, a Bromelia :

Vriesea splendens

#100 ·
Next to your waterfall tank this is one of the most beautiful and thought out projects I have ever seen on this site. Amazing job!

#102 ·
Re: Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 185 Gal - Mist in the Morning

Thank you all ;)

Mist in the Morning

This morning I could see before the start light, a ray of the rising sun, plunging through the vegetation and the morning mist.

When the freshness of the night made ​​up more moisture, you can see a misty morning scenery if foggers are running at that time. Phenomenon disappears when the light is gradually raise the temperature and slightly lower moisture (if the rain has not intervened).

#105 ·
This morning I could see before the start light, a ray of the rising sun, plunging through the vegetation and the morning mist.

This shot is fantastic! It put me down in a cave, with a small ray of light coming through an opening. It's cold, it's damp, and I'm not sure how to get out. That fact that this is in your planted tank is unreal.

#110 ·
Thank you ;)

The Trap Pump

The hatch is made to conceal the pump. More importantly, letting the water but not the sand, the entire range acts as a natural filtration ... The pump draws the inside which is then re-sent on plants and decor via the system perfectly clean rain water.

Made of polystyrene, holed four sides and insulated with felt, the pump draws filtered by sand island water without risk of suck up sand.

Then, creation of camouflage hat.

The frame is made of polystyrene topped with a small square of felt, coated with acrylic sealant, and encrusted with sand.

The hatch in place covered with sand on the edge to hide the ends.

The pump hose is when to him camouflaged as wooden branch.
I recovered the bark that I surrounded and silicone to the pipe.

It was then vegetalized like traditional branches with the mosses to blend perfectly with the rest of the decor.

Besides, you had probably not noticed on previous pictures ...

This "branch" has become the support of the small fern "Polypodium vulgare."

Ultimately, it is the only artificial part inside the tank,
with technical elements (pumps, foggers etc ...).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.