diy t5ho socket help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
desertmonkey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

diy t5ho socket help

So I am building a t5ho hood. I am doing 3 4 ft lights and have a workhourse ballast for each. I also got these t5ho sockets, I thibk they are sunlight company. They are the standard tombstone. So my question is the how do I connect the ballast to the socket? I understand the wiring diagram, but how do I physically connect them? I have 2 holes on the bottom of the socket. Do i just push a wire into either hole? On the ballast I have 2 red wire and a yellow. So it says yellow goes to one end. And the 2 red must be attached to one wire then that one wire for a to the socket. Do i need to do this or because these are shunted suockets can I just stickone red in the first hole and the 2 red in the second? Thanks!
desertmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Do you have a link to the sockets, so we can see what you have? Or a photo? Or, at least a manufacturer and part no.?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
desertmonkey
Algae Grower

http://www.horticulturesource.com/su...-shunted-p410/
These are the ones I have
Old 09-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Sorry, I can't help, but I know someone here can.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Whiskey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

If they are anything like my simalar T8 sockets, there are 4 holes in it. The two wires on one side both go to that pin, and the two on the other side both go to that pin.

You shove the proper gauge solid wire in the appropriate hole (based on the wireing diagram) and that makes the connection.

If your wireing diagram has one wire going to two pins on one end of the bulb, then you push that wire in one of the holes, then run a jumper from the connected one next to it, to one of the holes on the other side.

I'm not sure that is what is going on with yours,.. but if what I'm describing seems to fit then I suppose you can use this advice at your own risk Always be careful with electricity.

HTH,
Whiskey
Whiskey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmonkey View Post
So I am building a t5ho hood. I am doing 3 4 ft lights and have a workhourse ballast for each. I also got these t5ho sockets, I thibk they are sunlight company. They are the standard tombstone. So my question is the how do I connect the ballast to the socket? I understand the wiring diagram, but how do I physically connect them? I have 2 holes on the bottom of the socket. Do i just push a wire into either hole? On the ballast I have 2 red wire and a yellow. So it says yellow goes to one end. And the 2 red must be attached to one wire then that one wire for a to the socket. Do i need to do this or because these are shunted suockets can I just stickone red in the first hole and the 2 red in the second? Thanks!
First off which Workhorse ballast do you have? Does the wiring diagram for your ballast show using a jumper between the two connections on the socket.
The reason I ask is because you said you have a ballast for each. I'm assuming you have a ballast for each light but I don't know why when a Workhorse 5 can power 3x54 bulbs.
And to answer your question yes the wires just push into the holes in the bottom of the socket until they won't pull out without some major effort.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
desertmonkey
Algae Grower

Thanks. I got it to work. I am using three ballasts so I can control each light individually. I will be doing a morning noon evening night cycle. Hopefully be cycling the tank within the next month or so

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.