Fluval Spec V Journal (Rescape!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
tandaina
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Fluval Spec V Journal (Rescape!)

I haven't had an aquarium in about 6 years, but had a number for years before that, including lots with plants. Have been feeling the itch lately and ordered an Eheim Aquastyle 9G for my office. It will become a shrimp tank.

I did the round of pet stores today to try to find substrate (hah!), water conditioners, test kit, some rocks and driftwood, etc. While at one of the nasty box stores I walked past the "wall of dying betas." I'm a SUCKER for betas. Ended up coming home with a Fluval Spec V, black sand, root tabs, some driftwood and a big old standing stone.

I'm impressed with how easy to get up and going the Fluval is, was very quick. The whole thing is running silently, and at the lowest filter setting my new halfmoon plakat male seems very happy. He's got shorter fins, so swims better. I'm sure a full tailed variety would have trouble. The tank obviously needs to cycle, but I've cycled with beta before and had them do just fine with care and attention. Better than the cup he was living in. (Really, over half the fish were dead or dying in their cups, how is that good business?)

They had plants, rough ones. All unlabeled. I found one Java Fern. The rest were mostly obvious pond or swamp plants that weren't going to be happy.

Some pictures:

Untitled by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

The driftwood has been safely sanitized, but isn't water logged yet, the stones holding it down will go away as soon as it is. I'd like some more plants, obviously. Something low and carpet like to go up the slight hill around the standing stone. Some more Java fern or other tall low light plants for the other side of the tank.

What would you all suggest? No CO2 (never used it, never really needed it, my tanks aways became jungles), stock Fluval light. So low light, I will dose with Flourish and there are root tabs under the sand.

$12 beta, whose rescue cost umm... way more than that.

tandaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
tandaina
Algae Grower

Dang, just realized this is in the wrong forum. Don't suppose someone can move it for me? Should be int eh Tank Journal forum!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
tandaina
Algae Grower

Quick update for this tank. I've ordered a new light. Had a ton of plants left over from my 9 gallon scape so this tank also got scaped and needs more light! How it looks now with stock light:

Plants are doing fine with the stock light but don't expect them to thrive. Wondering what else I might be able to add to this tank with the betta? Maybe just a couple Otos?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
tandaina
Algae Grower

Ugh. So in light of getting DHG started I upgraded th light to a Finnex Ray 2 16".

First, it is scary bright. My husband actually finds it uncomfortable it is so incredibly bright. Seems like huge overkill on that tiny tank. And has revealed an awful what I hope is algae problem. I've never seen cloudy sorta clear algae, but it is everywhere. Bad, nasty looking. I've had planted tanks before and never seen anything like it. My Eheim 9g has nothing like it. Didn't really show under the stock light, does now!

Will be doing a large water change today, hoping that helps! And hopefully the light helps the plants take off which will help the algae. I hope it isn't mold which is the only other thing I could think it to be!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Discusdude7
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are you able to use the plastic lid with the finnex light?
Discusdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
tandaina
Algae Grower

Yes, the light is actually NOT big enough without the lid. It actually sits on the lid and straddles the center hole. I tried to mount it on the tank and it is just a hair too short to manage that. So instead it just sits on the lid.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Discusdude7
Planted Member

Do you mind taking a pic of the tank with the Finnex light for me?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

A Ray2 is an enormous amount of light for that tank, especially with no CO2. Might be asking for lots of algae.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Discusdude7
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
A Ray2 is an enormous amount of light for that tank, especially with no CO2. Might be asking for lots of algae.
Isn't it only like 9 watts of light?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
tandaina
Algae Grower

Yeah, it may frankly be too much. I ordered it because there are a number of journals on here of folks running this light with this tank. So we'll see what we see. And if it just doesn't work then I could always upgrade to a bigger cube that it'd fit better.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #11
tandaina
Algae Grower

That's how it looks! I need a different heater, this one's cord is so huge it keeps the lid from sitting flat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You have a nice looking betta.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
tandaina
Algae Grower

Thanks! He's a character, mugs for food and has to "help" anytime my hand is in the tank to do maintenance. I quite prefer these shorter finned guys, they are good swimmers, very active.

The filter on this tank is set to medium, I have not reduced the output at all and he's quite happy with it. Doesn't stress him at all or cause issues. Good strong swimmer.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #14
Discusdude7
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandaina View Post

That's how it looks! I need a different heater, this one's cord is so huge it keeps the lid from sitting flat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Sweet. Thanks! I get mine on tuesday
Old 09-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #15
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

DIY CO2 is a good idea to help avoid algae blooms, its cheap, quick and simply. The most you'd spend is on a diffuser, which can be bought for as little as $2-3
Use like a 24oz soda bottle for it, and you'll have CO2 streaming in that tank quickly. Best part is that it won't bother your betta at all, or shrimp if you do go shrimp in the future.
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote