Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 41
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #601
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post

What kind of tubing is that?
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #602
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
What kind of tubing is that?
They came with my API Rena XP filter. Is about 3/4" in dia. Very flexible but rigid enough not to bend too much.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #603
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

After reducing my CO2 injection from 11psi down to 6psi, I have no micro bubbles this morning. And the CO2 has been on for 3 hours before the light comes on. However, my CO2 level was only 28ppm the most. Not 35ppm that I was hoping for. So, I upped the psi to 7-8 psi. Micro bubbles are extremely minimal and the CO2 is around 38ppm by the end of the light cycle.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #604
geesantoz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDelPaPa View Post
Hey guys. I've been following this thread for a while now. Seems to me people are having the same problems with the 20" units that they're having with the smaller more manageable 10" units. And that is noise and micro bubbles escaping the filter housing. So here is my solution, and a very simple one in that. It requires no filter sponge at the bottom of the reactor which WILL clog and WILL eventually require maintenance. Control your flow rate through the reactor with a built in bypass line using a simple two little fishes ball valve that connects from your pump outlet, to the outflow line of the co2 reactor. Fire up the system and let come up to operating equilibrium. If you have micro bubbles exiting the reactor, simply crack your bypass valve until the micro bubble discharge stops. Problem solved. No need for a huge bulky 20" unit with internal sponges and other BS, less noise, and your pump is allowed to run at full capacity. Good luck.
Sorry ... I am not clear with this solution. Perhaps somebody can clears it up ...
is this something like this ? the ball valve control the flow through cerges ?

Name:  cerges-Y-ball-valve.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  25.0 KB
geesantoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #605
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'm thinking that he means to bypass the water so that less is flowing through the reactor. This way you don't have to choke the pump and risk damaging it. It would give you more dwell time to dissolve the co2.
m00se is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #606
geesantoz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I'm thinking that he means to bypass the water so that less is flowing through the reactor. This way you don't have to choke the pump and risk damaging it. It would give you more dwell time to dissolve the co2.
Thanks mOOse.
as currently i am trying to have only single return to the tank, with the 2x Y splitter i should be able to split and combine the output while regulating the flow on the split to cerges reactor, with the help of the ball valve on the cerges output, before the 2nd Y splitter to combine the flow (same principal to regulate canister filter output on the output line rather than input).

I am not sure whether this make sense ... or if the ball valve should be put on the 1st Y splitter, right before input to cerges.

EDIT:
Ball Valve 1 is on input line for cerges
Ball Valve 2 is on the output line for cerges
i am thinking currently to use Ball valve 2 to regulate flow passing through cerges.
Similar approach is being used on external water heater being used on the pool, the flow goes to the heater (in this case cerges) need to be slower in order to heat properly (in this case to disolve the co2 properly), the bypass line is to let the excess flow through while the flow to the heater line is regulated with ball valve.
with this, the filter flow rate is maintained (not being reduced as if only single ball valve without splitter and no bypass line).

Name:  cerges-Y-ball-valve-2.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  26.4 KB

Last edited by geesantoz; 10-09-2013 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: add more detail
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #607
m00se
Wannabe Guru

I'm no hydraulics engineer here, but I suspect that everything in that "circuit" will flow right through the bypass hose and ignore the cerges reactor completely. If it were me I would put the ball valve #1 on the bypass hose after the Y to the reactor, and contol the bypass flow that way. That would eliminate the need for ball valve #2 and assuming all the tubing is the same diameter would give you what you're after.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #608
geesantoz
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm no hydraulics engineer here, but I suspect that everything in that "circuit" will flow right through the bypass hose and ignore the cerges reactor completely. If it were me I would put the ball valve #1 on the bypass hose after the Y to the reactor, and contol the bypass flow that way. That would eliminate the need for ball valve #2 and assuming all the tubing is the same diameter would give you what you're after.
Hmmm ... what you say make sense ... it goes to less restrictive path.
i am looking at following water heater concept, and it seems consistent with your thought on the ball valve #1 on bypass line.
Also there is a check valve involved on this approach, to prevent back flow to the water heater.

Name:  solar-pool-heater-diagram.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #609
geesantoz
Algae Grower

Quote:
So to put into the drawing, on the left is your suggestion.
On the right, I might found another alternative that divert the flow (using pond diverter valve, i found there is 3/4" threaded that seems can be used for this application).

I am currently collecting the part and will try m00se suggestion, and if it does not work will try the alternative using a diverter valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alternative.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	219153
Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #610
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Go with the option on the left. The design of the cerges reactor makes a check valve unnecessary. Water can't backflow into it plumbed the way your diagram on the left is laid out.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #611
geesantoz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Go with the option on the left. The design of the cerges reactor makes a check valve unnecessary. Water can't backflow into it plumbed the way your diagram on the left is laid out.
Thanks ... will try on the left, but the first Y spitter may need to use a T instead and the straight through goes to bypass line which will have a ball valve to control the flow on the bypass (indirectly control the flow through cerges). the Y splitter to combine at the end of the line however is important to use i don't think this can use a T to combine flow properly.

I still like the alternative with diverter valve though as it will evenly divert the flow properly without adding a back pressure such on the left solution. Perhaps the check valve is unnecessary.
But as i have no experience using a diverter valve, perhaps something else might become as an issue that i fail to capture.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #612
m00se
Wannabe Guru

I would use a Y on both ends. T's add too much additional flow restriction and you might have to choke off the bypass more than you want, to get satisfactory flow to the cerges. Capishe?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #613
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geesantoz View Post
I still like the alternative with diverter valve though as it will evenly divert the flow properly without adding a back pressure such on the left solution. Perhaps the check valve is unnecessary.
But as i have no experience using a diverter valve, perhaps something else might become as an issue that i fail to capture.
If I'm not mistaken, a diverter is nothing more than a ball or butterfly valve. I think you're overthinking it. If your canister is so underpowered that you're worried about the additional resistance a cerges represents, you might want to consider upgrading it.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #614
geesantoz
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would use a Y on both ends. T's add too much additional flow restriction and you might have to choke off the bypass more than you want, to get satisfactory flow to the cerges. Capishe?
Thanks ... I will put that in mind.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #615
geesantoz
Algae Grower

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, a diverter is nothing more than a ball or butterfly valve. I think you're overthinking it. If your canister is so underpowered that you're worried about the additional resistance a cerges represents, you might want to consider upgrading it.
The idea is just to give enough flow through the cerges to get what level i need to get the co2 dissolve in the water, and left the excess flow goes through bypass hose. so rather than using a single ball valve to control the flow, in order to make no micro bubble from cerges, which affect the overall flow back to tank. With the diverter i can get the split i want to cerges and combine it back at the end of the line, so hopefully less flow rate affected with this method ... And so i thought ... just need to try this.