Jaguar's Low Tech ADA 60-P (Tank of Failure) - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #136
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Got pictures of the regulator? I built my regulator too, maybe I can help.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #137
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar

You replied in my other thread but here's photos of it from the seller

And on my own tank, while it was working briefly...

Last edited by Jaguar; 08-20-2013 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: pic
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #138
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Hey Jaguar,

I'm not familiar with the forged construction type of regulators (welding type), so I'm not too sure about that valve. I know you can get a relief valve for cheap and use it to test. Pick the same size as the one you have, 1/4 npt most likely.

You can plug it like other people suggest, it's about 2 dollars at home depot. I would honestly get a new relief valve.

If your regulator does turn out to be broken, you can always just buy a new one and add the post-body kit.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #139
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Still working on getting the reg fixed. Been busy dealing with my sick fish in quarantine.

In other news, my tank looks pretty good. I mixed up a new batch of ferts and am dosing them double now. The tops of my plants have much larger, more green, fast growing leaves... I must've really had a nutrient deficiency... probably P. I don't know if the tank is habitable for fish right now (nitrates are probably through the roof) but I will get around to testing it one of these days.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #140
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All right. Seems like the columnaris outbreak is over. I put my fish back in my tank, including the guppies. I have 3 harlequins and 6 cardinals left.

I've got 7 more harlequins and 3 otos in quarantine as well. One of the otos gave me a near heart attack this morning... I couldn't find it (bb tank w/ a lid) so I knew it was still in there somewhere.... it had swam in a tiny tiny gap between my filter intake and prefilter sponge... i thought it was dead, so i was squishing and poking at it trying to get it out and suddenly it flailed widly and I nearly threw it across the room it scared me so bad. I hope he'll be okay, I was pretty rough in trying to get him out...
Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #141
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I just read through your entire thread. Wow, what a bummer man. I feel your pain. IMO your failed fill after your dsm was attributed to your LEDs. (Too much light) not positive but that usually the case. During the dsm you want lots of light and when you fill you want less. Your right though, it's hard to determine par with those LEDs.

Ick is just part of the deal sometimes. Stress fish are more prone to getting it. You did the right things to erratic ate it though. How are your other harlquins reacting? Did they die too?

All that expensive equipment, time, and energy... Just remember its not the end result your REALLY looking for, it's the learning process along the way. Im impressed with these guys that create pristine tanks with minimal equipment. Even by using sun light and no filter, it's crazy.

Your tank looks good now that its plants plants plants.

Be strong young grasshopper! lol
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #142
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, it's been a rocky road for sure. I bought everything anticipating going high tech, especially the lights - they've been very difficult to work with. I wish I could get the reg fixed, but at the same time, if I can hardly handle low tech I'm not sure I should even try high tech. I don't think the lighting is too high, considering my overall lack of any other kind of algae. I haven't touched them in a long time and nothing's really gotten worse. Just waging cyano battles now lol.

Overall I lost 3 harlequins and 1 cardinal. Not bad considering it ended up being columnaris after all and I did not treat with any meds (just salt and cold water). Sticker shock at replacing the harlequins though, wow. 7 of them and 3 otos was almost $40. I had the other harlequins for nearly 2 years though, and they survived a lot. Hardy little guys.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #143
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

In my experience, when going low tech (no co2) suspend lights so you have low light and wait for growth to show. It will be very very slow if your par is on the lower end of low-par. Then, increase your lighting after to speed things up. Don't increase all at once. Just lower a few inches one week and increase duration the next. You will notice the growth difference.

In other words, the lighting is like the gas peddle and your plants are like the speedometer. By working with these 2 and playing around with them, I've learned a lot.

Remember you don't have a chart available to help you determine par for your LEDs. So, if your having problems with your low tech try decreasing your lighting by either duration or intensity.

Hope this helps.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #144
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually there is some PAR info for a build very similar to mine

Quote:
Par measurements were also made using a ruler All 14 LED have optics

At 0 inches from light 2885 par
4 1015
8 490
12 330
16 250
20 175
24 140
28 120
30.5 112

14 LEd's are really bright as you can see and at a distance of 4 feet the par is around 40 par.
He had 2 extra royal blues and a bit longer heatsink than mine, so they were spread out a bit more. It still gives me a rough estimate - my lights are hung at 26" so that would be around 130, then at 50% brightness would be 65, and then i turned my SVR2 down even more so I really should have between 40 and 80 par, give or take.

Main tank had a dead guppy this morning, just a small one. I did a small WC as my nitrates were 40-50.

QT tank looks good, rasboras are eating good, though the oto that got stuck in the filter had his fins clamped up. The other 2 were happy snacking on an algae wafer. Gotta test params today.

Last edited by Jaguar; 09-16-2013 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: added info
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #145
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did some maintenance and moved some plants around a bit. Looking a little better now, I think.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #146
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ Jaguar, you're going to hate me for saying this but I would like you to consider the following.

That Anubias Nana has to go. Cut off the black bread algae infected leaves, they most likely won't recover. The HC Cuba is also in bad shape, it's going to have a hard time growing. You want it to grow (some-what) in this style -

Yours look like it's covered in a bit of algae, get some healthy HC and it will grow faster.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #147
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A lot of the anubias is okay. The bigger piece in the front does have some weird hair algae strands around the edges. I will trim up some old leaves when the lights come on in a few hours.

Yeah, there's cyano on the HC. It looks like that because I keep trying to vac off the cyano and pull the HC out. If I left it alone it would grow in. It grew pretty well while I had no cyano:

Quote:

But then I moved it and it hasn't recovered yet.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #148
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Sup Jaguar,

Your tank is starting to come around, I like the arrangement. We have such similar equipment, I'm sure there is something you're over looking. What is your tank's stats again?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #149
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All of my tank specs are on the very first post. I just updated it a couple of days ago.

Our main difference is CO2. I don't have any. Regulator's broken.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #150
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Maybe you can get one of those cheap Aquatek, or maybe just a new regulator and add the post body. I got a retail regulator and a custom one, to tell you the truth -

*whispers "They're both doing the same thing..."