125/50 - update June 2014 - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #106
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Entry fees?
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #107
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Come see the crazy guy go swimming in his tank to trim plants! Watch him dodge fish trying to get up his shorts and nibble his sensitive bits! Hear him scream through a snorkel when a cory gets lodged up there! All for the low price of $5.00 per adult and $3.00 per child 12 years and under.

Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #108
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol okay, moving on.

Tank still not leaking, so I'm going with 'let's get things moving'. Tonight, gotta get those baffles measured for the sump, and the overflow pieces measured. Tomorrow AM, order the glass.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #109
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sweet!

All I got accomplished this weekend was getting some light mounting 2x4 up and some styro blowtorched and a 1st coat of paint down. You're sailing past me so far that I'll never catch up. Looking forward to seeing your stuff put together!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #110
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

After Phil's latest post demonstrated his leap in progress, I hauled myself out of sickbed and got the following done...

To-Done
  • Emptied the tank - no leaks!
  • Did a water change on the 30G temporary tank...was looking a bit yellow.
  • Drew/measured the centre points for drilling.
  • Drew/measured the overflow glass.
  • Pulled the sump out and did some drawring.
  • Eyed the spare 30G tank as sacrificial glass.

Glass BOM:
  • 3/8 x 120mm
  • 3/8 x 130mm
  • 11.5 x 17"
  • 15 x 17"

Sump overflow addendum
With what I have planned, the sump will offer ~13.5 gallons of overflow capacity. The weir capacity (at 40% more flow than I'm capable of) is something like 3 gallons. Overflow would hold, worst-case (completely full and emergency draining) another 3 gallons. Piping say a gallon. That means I'm still only at 50% capacity of the sump's possible overflow.

We good.

Measuring the drill points
I left a 2" gap between the three holes, and there's 70mm left over on either side. Holes will be 2" from the top of the glass to keep to the minimum safe distance while not taking up more room than necessary inside the display tank.

Overflow glass

Bulkhead trimming calcs
Yep, will be trimming 15mm off the ends of the bulkheads in an effort to keep the plumbing a bit less awkward.

Overflow into the sump

Sumpy!
No full sump shot, for some reason...but it'd be unintelligible anyways. The scrawled notes help my brain make sense of the measurements. Sometimes Sketchup can only get you so far.

Next steps, take my glass BOM and call the glass shop. If the 3/8" glass is super expensive, I'm sacrificing the old sumpy to save on glass costs. Good thing I have some capability of glass cutting in-house!

I also need to get around to visiting the pool shop for the Spa-Flex. Srsly.

Oh...and get my neighbour to help dismount the display for drilling. Drilling holes vertically is really the only way. Kinda sad I can't use the drill press on this tank.

edit: Pretty sure that's $25 worth of pot scrubbies. Estimate that I'll need an additional $40 to fill that area. :S
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #111
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick update...

Okay, yeah, I think we're gonna do the external/internal overflow.
  • Saves 4-5" of internal space, meaning I won't have the awkward bit underneath the C2C box (one item I really grew to dislike on the 50)
  • I'm losing the ~6" outside the tank anyways due to the plumbing.
  • The spare 30G is getting sacrificed since 1/4" glass will be plenty strong to deal with a few gallons of water.
  • Only requires me to purchase a tube of RTV106 (108?) silicone for some huge benefits.

We'll still have to do 3/8" glass inside, but now much less is required. Not certain if they'll be able to cut 3/8" glass to 1.25" wide...hm.

Some threads of interest:
Will do some Sketchups and post soon.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #112
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Daaaang, looking all technical and scribbly. I like it. That's the sort of thing I need to do when I set anything up. Invariably the paper I've got my notes on gets wet or ruined. Writing on the tank's a great idea.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #113
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Writing on tank is a good idea I've been thinking of using it with aquascaping, give me an idea of what a big old slab of wood would look like taking up space.

That is an insane amount of scrubbies, I felt bad when I had to spend 5 bucks on mine. At least they hold up well though and its inevitable cheaper then "real" filter media.

You're getting there I have no patience at all. I set my tank up so quick I had to rip it all and start over a few months later, so patience is good if I could find some
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #114
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Plus, you feel like that dude from that math crime show whose title I cannot recall. He was Mister Universe in 'Serenity'. Anyways, my big hurdle right now is finding a local supplier for RTV108. And by finding, I mean not finding. Pretty sure I'll have to pay $25 to get a $5 tube of adhesive silicone. NAFTA garbage.

Hm...more searching indicates that SC1200 is RTV108's equal, and locally available! Still will be like $20 after shipping. Oh well. petsandponds.ca has it, if other Canadians are interested.

Before I order, I'm going to hack that aquarium apart and cut the pieces out. If that is successful, order the silicone adhesive and get cracking. (haha!)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #115
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awwww yeeeaahhh
I kinda forgot to take more during pictures...you get the point. 'Easy' part done.

Next steps are to design the overflow and create a BOM.

edit: This was a rather useless post...handy tip...put the razor blade in a pair of vice grips so your thumb and index finger don't sustain temporary/permanent nerve damage.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #116
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick sketches
Once past the bulkheads, plumbing resumes as planned. Might do an additional gusset or two in the middle (overkill, but pretty).

The million dollar question...

I'm planning to use 1/4" glass to do the internal overflow. Too much pressure for the glass thickness? What if I brace it (vertical edges full brace, and one middle brace)?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #117
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Answered my own question. 0.25" glass is commonly used for internal overflows, and furthermore, if you think about the math, it'll be in roughly 6" of water, so ~25% of the tank height. 25% of 125 gallons is not really that much, so I should be fine even without the central brace I mentioned.

Tonight...glass cutting.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #118
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Careful, don't cut yourself.....any more than you already have.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #119
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ya, turns out none of the edges were cleaned up when they built it (rightly so). I was carrying one with some bare glass and got some nice parallel papercuts on my palm. Going to wear gloves tonight!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #120
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I looked like I started cutting myself after finding out tank glass edges are sharp when removing top bracing on a tank one time. After that I've always worn stout leather gloves.