75 Gallon advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
Nelsontreyjones
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

75 Gallon advice

Upgraded to a 75G Tank
Starting my build for my 75 gallon tank from my 40 gallon breeder. This will be a high-tech setup with CO2 injection and fertilizer regime .

Current equipment:

75 gallon tank (48"W x 18"D x 21"H)
x2 Fluval 206
40lb Seachem Flourite
Capped with 80lb CaribSea Eco-Complete

Items on order:

48" Buildmyled Dutch Planted 6300K with tank mounts and manual dimming switch
Fluval C4 Power Filter
250W Aqueon Pro Heaters
1 gallon of Glutaraldehyde (until I set up Co2 injection)
Seachem Purigen 100 mL
Seachem Matrix Bio Media 1 L
Seachem Prime 500 mL
Tetra SafeStart 250 mL
Polyester Fiber
Koralia Nano 240 (not sure if I should get it or not yet)

Current stocking plans:

Fish (Planned as of right now):
Boesemans Rainbowfish x8
Rummynose Tetra x15
Julii Cory x6
Otocinclus x3
Black Ruby Barb x6
White Cloud Mountain Minnow x7
Bristlenose Pleco x1
Siameses Algae Eater x1

I plan on moving at the end of December so until then this will be low tech until after the move. It will be stocked with just the 8 Boesemans Rainbowfish and lightly planted.
Nelsontreyjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
BHolmes
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Why the flourite capped with eco complete?
You could use either of those as a cap for something else (soil mix).
I've used the purigen and matrix in my canister. I'm to the point now where I am just using it up and switching to mechanical only. IMO I don't think there's a need for chemical filtration in heavily planted aquariums.
What's your plant list?
You won't be disappointed with the Bows. They're an awesome fish
BHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Nelsontreyjones
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHolmes View Post
Why the flourite capped with eco complete?
You could use either of those as a cap for something else (soil mix).
I've used the purigen and matrix in my canister. I'm to the point now where I am just using it up and switching to mechanical only. IMO I don't think there's a need for chemical filtration in heavily planted aquariums.
What's your plant list?
You won't be disappointed with the Bows. They're an awesome fish
I used the fluorite I already had from another tank that I converted to marine. I just using fresh bio media to restart the tank thus why I picked up the Matrix. You right about the Purigen though, been using it for the past year but I don't think it really needed. As far as the plant list im not 100% sure yet. Keeping it easy right now which is why I picked up the dimmer for low light. Going to plan that out this week.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
BHolmes
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice! You have a lot of options since it's such a large area to plant and high-tech. Look into layering soil in your substrate. If you do that you won't have to add root tabs and it will increase your plant selection. It's also cheap and very easy
BHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I highly suggest making a plan on paper before you buy any plants.
First off it'll help you imagine the build, you can figure out placement, and future growth.
This also helps with buying plants, both ways so you don't over order or under order.

The SAE isn't a full need btw, not to mention they get hugeeeeee.
As for the bn, I suggest getting 2 albino bn. They stay small, and look good actually.

The white cloud minnows could be something to ditch also, and get more rummynose tetra's. Please don't take offense, just making suggestions.
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Nelsontreyjones
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHolmes View Post
Nice! You have a lot of options since it's such a large area to plant and high-tech. Look into layering soil in your substrate. If you do that you won't have to add root tabs and it will increase your plant selection. It's also cheap and very easy
I should of read up more about the substrate, I though these would be good enough. I have root tabs but hate using them before they pop up when moving or removing plants. But I've actually already layered what I had and added water.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Nelsontreyjones
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestle_ View Post
I highly suggest making a plan on paper before you buy any plants.
First off it'll help you imagine the build, you can figure out placement, and future growth.
This also helps with buying plants, both ways so you don't over order or under order.

The SAE isn't a full need btw, not to mention they get hugeeeeee.
As for the bn, I suggest getting 2 albino bn. They stay small, and look good actually.

The white cloud minnows could be something to ditch also, and get more rummynose tetra's. Please don't take offense, just making suggestions.
Right now i'm looking at adding these plants to what I have
Alternanthera reineckii (Midground)
Amazon Frogbit
Red Ludwigia (Background)
Rotala 'Colorata' (Midground)
Rotala 'Green' (Midground)
Rotala Wallichii (Background)
Starougyne Repens Tropica 049 (Foreground)

I looking for suggestion so I don't take any offense to them. Main reason I went with white cloud minnows were to have something towards the top of tank. I actually had already changed the SAE for more oto. But to be honest i'm not a fan of albino fish.

How about this ?

Boesemans Rainbowfish x8
Rummynose Tetra x20
Julii Cory x6
Otocinclus x5
Black Ruby Barb x6
Bristlenose Pleco x1
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Whiskey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I did the soil thing,.. it worked fantastic for the first year, it even seemed to add quite a bit of CO2 to the water,.. but the downside is every time you uproot a plant it makes a total mess of the tank. GREAT for low maintenance tanks, but for a tank you tinker with it is less good.

I have yet to find a perfect substrate, Florite is good, but benefits from root tabs (Or osmocote frozen in ice cubes works even better and is practically free), Fluval Stratum is good, better from a nutreant standpoint I think, but it is lighter and doesn't hold the plants down as well. It too ran out of nutreants BTW, and needed fertcicles eventually.

I really think EcoComplete is nearly 100% inert, but it also works well with Osmocote or root tabs.

Nutrient wise potting soil is probably the best, but it makes the water yellow in the beginning and makes a mess when you uproot stuff.

It's kinda like "Pick your battle".

If I had to put effort into one place it would be first CO2, second Light (not lots, but just enough to find a balance),.. Then I would think about substrate and water dosing to make sure the plants are not limited anywhere.

Whiskey
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.