Black Water 20
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
HuntCast
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Black Water 20

First fill up of my black water 20h. Got a little tannin stain already from the oak leaves and driftwood. Should get better and better in that department. Hard to see in the crappy phone pic, but there is a piece of spider wood posing as roots at the top of the tank, attached to the back glass with a suction cup. Think I need a few more sticks of wood, but maybe not? Leaves will be at the bottom in a few days, and that may change the look some.
As far as fish, I am thinking about Serpae Tetra and Corys.

Any thoughts and suggestions in the design?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st20.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	208497  

Last edited by HuntCast; 12-31-2013 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: title
HuntCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Cool!
love black.water tanks
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
HuntCast
Algae Grower

Put some moss in the filter, and it is slowly but surely working. Moved the sticks around a bit. Not sure what to do here, only that I need a few more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mms_picture.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	209425  

Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

What else do you plan on adding in there?

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
HuntCast
Algae Grower

More wood. Probably lose the rocks to make it more authentic. Still torn on the fish. Kinda leaning toward a tetra/cory tank, but not 100 percent. The tank is already cycled, but I want to make sure everything is stable before I start adding any living beings, lol.
I am totally open to fauna suggestions here!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

serpaes will love the black water, but make sure you have a large enough school and no other fish with flowing fins. they can have an attitude
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
HuntCast
Algae Grower

Ok. Think I have finalized things for now. Going to give this a few weeks with nothing in it to make sure things are nice and stable before I add fish. Other than frogbit for the surface, this is how it will look.
Any comments or criticism in the design? Let me have em! Now is the time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mms_picture.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	517.5 KB
ID:	210065  

Old 09-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the new hardscape!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

are you dosing with ammonia in order to keep the cycle from crashing?
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
DishyFishy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks good!
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Gema
Algae Grower

Defiantly looks much better now! Can't wait to see it come together
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
HuntCast
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
are you dosing with ammonia in order to keep the cycle from crashing?
Hmm....
Are you saying that the lower pH will crash the ammonia levels? I hadn't considered this, but it is possible?

The only thing that changed in the tank, apart from removing the plants and the livestock, is the addition of the wood/leaves and moss in the filter. Everything else in the tank is from when it was up and running.
I do have some old media that I was planning on running in the filter just to be safe, but is there something else I should do now, or before I add fish in a couple weeks?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
HuntCast
Algae Grower

GMYukonon24s, DishyFishy, and Gema....
Thanks. I still am wavering on making changes, lol. Hard to know when to just back away!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

What he meant about the cycle crashing, was that without fish/crap/food or other things breaking down in the tank that the cycle would stop and be non-existent. Making it like the tank was never cycled in the first place, when using precycled filter media its important to keep the cycle running by adding in a couple fish, throwing in a little bit of fish food, something along those lines.
I do this when starting up tanks, take a piece of pre cycled filter floss, run in the new tank for 3-4 days, put in 3-6 neon tetras and see how they are. I find that neons are great indicator of the tanks health, and a very quick way to just look and see their bright neon shine to show that the tank is cycled/healthy. If they aren't doing so good, aren't showing much or any shine, then something is wrong and most likely not cycled. (also neons are cheap, so I don't get upset if i lose one or two when holding/starting a cycle in a tank)
Another method is to dose ammonia, over the counter ammonia, to get the cycle going. 10ml on day 1, get the filter running. next day 10 ml more, then bump it up to 20-30ml depending on tank size. This will jump start a cycle, mind you not complete it. (fishless cycling)
I find that just putting in a pinch of fish food is a better suited solution as that the bacteria is then use to dealing with fish food vs chemical ammonia.

But everyone has their preferences.
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
HuntCast
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestle_ View Post
What he meant about the cycle crashing, was that without fish/crap/food or other things breaking down in the tank that the cycle would stop and be non-existent. Making it like the tank was never cycled in the first place, when using precycled filter media its important to keep the cycle running by adding in a couple fish, throwing in a little bit of fish food, something along those lines.
I do this when starting up tanks, take a piece of pre cycled filter floss, run in the new tank for 3-4 days, put in 3-6 neon tetras and see how they are. I find that neons are great indicator of the tanks health, and a very quick way to just look and see their bright neon shine to show that the tank is cycled/healthy. If they aren't doing so good, aren't showing much or any shine, then something is wrong and most likely not cycled. (also neons are cheap, so I don't get upset if i lose one or two when holding/starting a cycle in a tank)
Another method is to dose ammonia, over the counter ammonia, to get the cycle going. 10ml on day 1, get the filter running. next day 10 ml more, then bump it up to 20-30ml depending on tank size. This will jump start a cycle, mind you not complete it. (fishless cycling)
I find that just putting in a pinch of fish food is a better suited solution as that the bacteria is then use to dealing with fish food vs chemical ammonia.

But everyone has their preferences.
Ahh. Well I will keep an eye on it. I have snails in there that were holdovers from the previous regime, lol. Can never get them all, so I wasn't entirely with a lifeless tank. I am hesitant to put anything in there for a little bit though. There have got to be some HUGE swings going on in there with the new wood, leaves, and moss changing things around. I have all the charcoal out and bio out of the filter right now. Should I leave the biomax out until there is something in there producing ammonia?