GCAS meeting/auction Thursday Sept. 12th 7:30 PM
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
CodOnMyRod
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)

GCAS meeting/auction Thursday Sept. 12th 7:30 PM

This months meeting features Mark Denaro who will be speaking on Bettas and Labyrinth Fishes. As always there will be an auction after the talk. Meeting will be on Thursday Sept. 12 at 7:30 PM. It is usually the first Wed. of the month but was rescheduled this month because of the holidays. Hope to see some of you there.

The Greater City Aquarium Society meets on the first Wednesday of every month (except January and February)
at the Queens Botanical Garden, in Flushing, Queens, NY.
Meetings begin at 7:30 pm.

Each meeting features a guest speaker, an eclectic auction featuring lots of locally bred fish and plants,
a raffle, a doorprize, refreshments, and great fish friends.

Membership in the GCAS is $20,
and includes a subscription to Greater City's award-winning magazine, Modern Aquarium.

All GCAS meetings are free and open to the public.

www.greatercity.org

- Ruben
CodOnMyRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Ruben, you had me gasping for this post. thanks for putting this up. Hope all is well with you. Definitely see you there.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm very interested in going but this will be my first time there. Can anyone please share their experience so I have an idea of what to expect? Thank you!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
CodOnMyRod
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Ruben, you had me gasping for this post. thanks for putting this up. Hope all is well with you. Definitely see you there.
See you there AL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICfish View Post
I'm very interested in going but this will be my first time there. Can anyone please share their experience so I have an idea of what to expect? Thank you!
The club is very friendly and everyone is welcome. I recommend you get there a little early that way you can meet some of the members before the talk begins and you can check out the auctions lots. The talk usually starts around 7:45 to 8 Pm and depending on the speaker can last between 30 minutes to an hour. After the talk you will have about 15 minutes to socialize and check out the auction lots before the auction begins. How long the auction lasts depends on how many lots there are on that given night. You can get some really great deals on fish and plants and lots of other stuff. After the auction they have a raffle for donated goods. Overall its a great way to spend some time with other fish heads and a great way to learn new stuff about the hobby. Hopefully we'll see you there.

-Ruben
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I will be there. betta talk! Im excited.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodOnMyRod View Post
The club is very friendly and everyone is welcome. I recommend you get there a little early that way you can meet some of the members before the talk begins and you can check out the auctions lots. The talk usually starts around 7:45 to 8 Pm and depending on the speaker can last between 30 minutes to an hour. After the talk you will have about 15 minutes to socialize and check out the auction lots before the auction begins. How long the auction lasts depends on how many lots there are on that given night. You can get some really great deals on fish and plants and lots of other stuff. After the auction they have a raffle for donated goods. Overall its a great way to spend some time with other fish heads and a great way to learn new stuff about the hobby. Hopefully we'll see you there.

-Ruben
Sounds great. I'll try my best to make it tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sadly, I couldn't make it today. I hope you'll also update us on the next meeting. I'll definitely join the next one.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Hi LICfish,
you missed a great discussion and auction but i hope you can make the next one.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
CodOnMyRod
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICfish View Post
Sadly, I couldn't make it today. I hope you'll also update us on the next meeting. I'll definitely join the next one.
Quote:
Hi LICfish,
I agree with Al. The talk was very good, with lots of great information. The auction was great and there were lots of plants up for auction this month including some harder to find stuff that Mark donated. Hopefully you can join us next month. The next meeting is only 3 weeks away and will be on Wed. Oct. 2 at 7:30 pm.

- Ruben
Old 09-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Hi LICfish,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodOnMyRod View Post
I agree with Al. The talk was very good, with lots of great information. The auction was great and there were lots of plants up for auction this month including some harder to find stuff that Mark donated. Hopefully you can join us next month. The next meeting is only 3 weeks away and will be on Wed. Oct. 2 at 7:30 pm.

- Ruben

Bummer. I was hoping to get plants so that would have been perfect I'll mark my calendar for Oct 2.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Yesterday's event has be rethinking labyrinth fish and the sparkling gouramis and dario dario will be under serious consideration on the next nano build.

Just for those who werent able to attend, just know that these events go far beyond looking at fish photos. The speaker covered all the various species of this fish genus, discussed their care, breeding tips/requirements, feeding and behaviors specific to each type of fish. Its almost like having a personal fish guru explaining all the pros, cons and considerations needed to bring the very best out of each species. I liked how each referenced the location or origin, shared traits within those regions, which were readily available in the market versus rare and those considered beginner through advanced for breeding projects.

In my experience, the advice from a hobbyist who has bred these fish will always carry more weight than that of someone who's trying to sell you something.

Hope to see you all at the next event!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is a very nice club. People make you feel welcome there. I was only there that once, wish I could have made it yesterday would have loved to hear that talk. I have sparkling gourami's Albert they're nice fish. They're tough little guys,lol, not afraid like my blue gourami's,the big chickens.
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Very nice is an understatement. My two boys and myself joined about 4 months ago and we really look foward to each meeting. Everyone is so nice us. Love it!!
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.