Male Ram is killing the female....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-08-2004, 12:17 AM   #1
E. Simpson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a breeding pair of blue Rams.Usually a few days after egg laying is over the male chases the female and nips at her.This time though she is really taking damge.This morning she was floating on her side buried in some rotala plants.She seems ok and was just trying to hide that way I think but the male is going to kill her if this keeps up much longer.The problem I have is I only have 1 tank so there is no place for her to go.

This is really a bummer to me because of all my fish that little female Ram is my favorite.She actually seems like she's happy to see me sometimes when I get close to the tank.

Is this normal for the male to attack the female like this?Maybe I should try removing this male and get a different one?

Ernie
E. Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 02:14 AM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've seen it happen with my Rams. After the eggs are laid and fertilized, often times the male will be the primary caretaker of the eggs, and will defend them aggressively.

The problem might be that the tank is too small.

I've also seen the female eat the eggs. When this happens I've witnessed the male being hell bent on hurting the female for days afterwards. Even after the eggs are gone.

I keep a pair of rams in a 10 gal tank. I think that some of this aggresive behavior would be avoided in a 20 gal.

You can try putting a tank divider between the male and the female.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
E. Simpson
Algae Grower

You know what I think that might be exactly what happened.The female ate the eggs because I know she was going through the laying cycle over the last couple days and I never saw the eggs afterwards.I know she's laid them though because her stomache has shrunk and that tube that comes out is gone back in now.

All the other times they have laid eggs I think she ate them then as well.They always disappeared within a days time and the male always acts this way after just not as agressively.

Ernie
Old 02-08-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
E. Simpson
Algae Grower

Well the female couldn't take the pounding and already died.It's a bummer that fish was really unique and had personality like a dog kind of.

Ernie
Old 02-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Major bummer :cry:
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote