Several tanks, one LARGE filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Question

Several tanks, one LARGE filter?

So I was talking with my mate today..I'd recently bought a "55" gallon (internal measurements show is actually 48) for about $60, it was going to be an intermediate tank till a larger 120 or so tank is built (from scratch). Anyways we talked about having a divided tank/2tank setup (one right behind the other to give look of more depth/width.

I was wondering if its possible to place the tanks together and plum them through one filter ( have all water flow through both tanks) this woułd mean about 170-180 gallons if water, I know people have single aquariums this big but I wonder if anyone ever plums multiple aquariums to share water/filter?

Why wouldn't we just make one large aquarium? Well the 120+ is for a large breed pleco who has shown he will eat ANY aquarium plant I it in the tank with him (he is well fed its nit because he's under nourished). I want a heavily planted low tec(walstad style) tank but the pleco will not allow that. I want to plum a heavily planted tank to the unplanted one the pleco is in for added natural filtration and have a planted background he can't eat.... So thoughts? Experiences? Please share thank you ^^
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Lots of people, many lfs as well, plumb all their tanks together to provide centralized filtration for all thier tanks. Usually it incorporates a sump for housing filtration. Not especially hard to do but it does take some planning, typically much easier if you can have your tanks drilled but there are overflow systems that can be bought/made.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

Not really a sump but a large wet dry filter. You can do it I plan on doing it with 3 33 gallon tanks when my fiancée fines a new job and we buy a house. I am going to run 12 tanks on 3 large wet dry filters. With each having its own return pump

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

You can, but why do you want to do this?

IMHO, I like having tanks separated so that if something goes horribly wrong in one tank, it won't affect the others. Think disease.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Not really a sump but a large wet dry filter. You can do it I plan on doing it with 3 33 gallon tanks when my fiancée fines a new job and we buy a house. I am going to run 12 tanks on 3 large wet dry filters. With each having its own return pump

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

That's a lot of tanks! I'll have to look into wet dry filter, I've heard it mentions before but never researched it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
You can, but why do you want to do this?

IMHO, I like having tanks separated so that if something goes horribly wrong in one tank, it won't affect the others. Think disease.
The last paragraph of my first post covers your question.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 09-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: adding quote reponces instead of spam posting
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I have never done this but most fish stores do this. There are more than a few builds on the site where people are using a bunch of tanks (usually small tanks) and plumb them all together. Most people tend to drill the tanks and plumb them with PVC.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, filter, plumbing, question, setup