GC11's 29-Gallon South American Invasion (56K) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-09-2007, 06:16 AM   #16
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

I agree it needs more plants, but once those swords start taking off, they will stuff a 29gl to the max if you let them. Some of those plants look to be on their last leg, forum members here send out high quality plants usually in large quantities, look for "trim time" threads in the swap and shop. You have plenty of light, all you need now is pressurized CO2 to get the most out of your light.

I have to admire any S.American tank, I do the same given the parameters of my local water, now using reconstituted RO/DI. Some of your plants aren't S.American as pointed out, but I think you know that. I've reached a point where there are certain non region specific plants I will use as an exception, purely based on my own aesthetic reasoning, like Val nana rather than V.americana, it's more pleasing to my eye and a tank with any type of val is going to look S.American if the rest of the theme is there. In all actuality, if our SA tanks were true to most of the Amazon biotopes, we'd have an ugly tank full of mud and dead leaves with a few sticks laying around.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #17
Goldfishcrazy11
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The rotala indica was from atleast 5 months ago when I had bought some live plants to fill in my 10-gallon (I have a picture somewhere...). I know it's techinically isn't South American, but my 29-gallon is the only tank with sufficient light to grow it. ROTFL I had no clue vals were considered South American. I thought they were an introduced, but not naturally occuring species.

I might go this weekend to get a few buddies for my betta, and I'll look to see if they have any good deals on plants.

20g- 3 American Flagfish, 1 Bristlenose Pleco

29g- 6 Glowlight Tetras, 1 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, 1 Apistogramma cacatuoides pair, 1 Albino Corydoras Catfish
Plants: Echinodorus amazonicus, Mayaca fluviatilis, Vallisneria, Alternanthera reineckii, Microsorum pteropus, Rotala indica, Echinodorus parviflorus

90g- 1 Shubunkin Goldfish, 1 Sarasa Common Goldfish, 2 Common Goldfish

http://goldfishcrazy.tripod.com/home.html
Goldfishcrazy11 is offline   Reply With Quote