bluecheese's 55 gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #16
glndrifts
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to glndrifts Send a message via Yahoo to glndrifts

This was the funnest tank journal to read. I'm subscribing.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #17
bluecheese
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Glad you're enjoying it, though I am using sarcasm to cover for my lack of knowledge. Been doing it my whole life. It's actually worked out pretty well for me.

I hope to post some more pictures mid week when I get this bad boy really moving.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
GimmeGills
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Slow your roll, homey. I can't just go stuffing wood in there like its prom night. This tank's a lady, and I'm gonna make sweet love to her, Barry White style.
Baaahahahaha! I literally CHOKED ON MY BREAKFAST when I read this! This thread could be dangerous! Sub'd! Looking forward to prom night....
GimmeGills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
annyann
Planted Member

I wanna see how this turns out so im tagging along. Cant wait to see the scape you come up with!
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
norbot
Planted Member

This journal is a riot!

I subscribed twice!

20g journal
29g journal
55g journal
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #21
bluecheese
Planted Member

Alright, so I survived another weekend of football. LSU won convincingly. Man, security was tough at Tiger Stadium. They were eagle-eyed, looking for contraband. Good thing my ninja-like skills allowed me to sneak liquor in unnoticed. Here's a quick view from my seats

And the Saints won today in a nail biter.

But, I'm not gonna bore you with football talk. I'm gonna bore you with pictures of my tank. I worked on a little of the hardscape. I'm not sure what to think. I could be a complete genius at this. Or, more likely, I'm as dumb as my wife thinks I am. I really need some honest opinions on this, as long as those opinions agree with me.

Some pics:

I would apologize for the quality of the pictures, but I'm still a little hung over. And who am I, Ansel Adams? Man yall expect a lot.

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I really like that log on the left side. I'm not sure if this whole thing ties together or not. I guess you have to imagine it with gravel and plants and stuff in it.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
thewesterngate
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

This is such a fun thread to read, and I can't wait to see the outcome! I personally love the hardscape. ONWARD!
thewesterngate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #23
glndrifts
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to glndrifts Send a message via Yahoo to glndrifts

Great hardscape pieces. It would difficult in a 55gallon but if there was a way to get the big piece to look like its closer in perspective that would help make the tank look deeper. As is looks cool too, I see it as a fallen tree once the substrate covers up the bottom portions. I would move the branches a tad to the left, so the convergence ends up about 1/3 ways from the side.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #24
bluecheese
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewesterngate View Post
This is such a fun thread to read, and I can't wait to see the outcome! I personally love the hardscape. ONWARD!
Thanks for the kind words. I've been thinking about this tank so much lately that I feel like I just got engaged to it. I'm getting anxious to consummate this relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glndrifts View Post
Great hardscape pieces. It would difficult in a 55gallon but if there was a way to get the big piece to look like its closer in perspective that would help make the tank look deeper. As is looks cool too, I see it as a fallen tree once the substrate covers up the bottom portions. I would move the branches a tad to the left, so the convergence ends up about 1/3 ways from the side.
I see what youre saying about the big piece. The perspective is a little off because of the angle I took the picture. I'm hoping the substrate and plants kind of soften the edges a little. Good call on moving the branches to the left. I like the idea of the branches overhanging the log (teehee, log).
Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
bluecheese
Planted Member

So I have a list of things I need to get this project to the next stage:

I already have the filter (Fluval 306) and CO2 regulator. I will be moving the plants and fish from the existing tank.

Lights: the tank came with a T5 double light strip. I'm not sure if this will be powerful enough. If need be, I also have a 36" T5HO double strip I can use also. I'll have to play around with it to see.

Gravel. I'm using flourite in the current set up. That substrate will be moved to the new tank. I bought two more bags. I hope it will be enough.

Power strip. I was looking at the powerstip/timer option at Home Depot. It really irks me that they don't make a powerstrip where each outlet is individually timed. They do make them, but they either burn your house down, or you have to sell part of your soul to afford them. If I go this route I would have the lights, solenoid on the timed side, and everthing else on the all on side. I would have to get another separate digital timer for the air pump that will kick on at lights out.

CO2 tank. This is becoming an adventure trying to find one that doesn't break the bank. Craigslist has some 20 pounders for sale, but that would be too big to fit under the tank. Besides, in New Orleans, meeting someone for a Craigslist sale could spell your doom.

Plumbing. I hope to have this done by Wednesday of this week. I may have to skip the drain, which is dissapointing, but I'm not Super Mario, so plumbing ain't my game. I'm more like Luigi, no one wants to be him and he's basically useless.

Wire clips. I'm trying to make it as neat as possible under there. I don't want to open the cabinet and think a giant spider is trying to attack me.

Test kit. I have the strips, but I'm reading that theyre not too accurate. My current tank is pretty stable, so I normally don't test my water. But I want to do a fishless cycle, so a test kit is needed.

Ammonia for the fishless cycle. I used to be a cruel bastage and just throw the unsuspecting fish into an uncycled tank. I would steeple my fingers while I watched them suffer. I'm older and wiser now. Becoming a father has softened my heart. I am no longer the super villain of the fish world.

Is there anything I'm missing?
Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
norbot
Planted Member

Quote:
I would apologize for the quality of the pictures, but I'm still a little hung over. And who am I, Ansel Adams? Man yall expect a lot.
Dang BC, thank you for saying that so well! hehehe

Hope everyone does not go around believing every smiley face I'm droppin'! hehe

On the hardscape fwiw, here's an aquascape I really like...Rah-Bop 29 Forest Scape, Note the use of height and depth even though it's a 29.....pretty impressive

The aquascaping is where the fun's at, and you don't get enough practice without mts, so think carefully, I know I didn't. 55 is hard to make depth, but there are some tricks

Not to bring up your wood again but, does it sink? You can use the idea shown in Fallen Tree Branch to secure it, it also helps to build up and maintain slopes..meh just tossin out ideas for ya, feel free to shut me up!

Quote:
They do make them, but they either burn your house down, or you have to sell part of your soul to afford them.
My floor is not exactly clean but now I am filthy from rolling around so much...thanks......Timers...my plan is to get a reefkeeper lite, but right now I use $4 hd specials.

If you got somewhere to hide or have a way to camoflouage it, 20#er is what I'd recommend.....hard to be lazy if you have to keep filling up 5# bottles! It worked for me because I put my tank in the corner, so there's some space behind it for the co2.....some people paint them.......some go to great lengths of tubing and keep the bottle elsewhere.......meh, fyi

You don't need to, but you could try using dirt and capping it with the flourite, it'll stretch out the flourite.. if you're looking to be told such things

IMO you should do ok with the lighting, it's like you said, experiment with it, we all want to pretend to be scientists

You are a machine sir! Keep 'em comin!

20g journal
29g journal
55g journal
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #27
bluecheese
Planted Member

Thanks for the reply.
Quote:

On the hardscape fwiw, here's an aquascape I really like...Rah-Bop 29 Forest Scape, Note the use of height and depth even though it's a 29.....pretty impressive
I'll have to check out the Forest Scape when I get home. I work for the Gestapo, and the web blocker here is putting the kibash on the pictures. These people actually want me to work... savages.

Quote:
Not to bring up your wood again but, does it sink?
Ok, when I first read this, I thought you were asking me if my wood stunk. I laughed. Then I reread, and laughed again at my stupidity. The wood does SINK. It's been soaking in an old crawfish pot for a couple of weeks. Its still leaching some tannins in the water, but not so much to worry about.

Quote:
If you got somewhere to hide or have a way to camoflouage it, 20#er is what I'd recommend.....hard to be lazy if you have to keep filling up 5# bottles! It worked for me because I put my tank in the corner, so there's some space behind it for the co2.
My current set up is sitting caddycorner. The old lady (love of my life that she is) wants this new set up flush against the wall. So storing the co2 under the tank is really my only option. Not to mention the inherent danger of craigslist adds in the Greater New Orleans Area. I may think I'm buying co2. What I'm really doing is giving away one of my kidneys, and waking up in a motel bathtub full of ice. I saw some used 10 pounders online that I need to look into further.

Thanks for the advice. i think I really need to look at other scapes to get a better feel for this stuff.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
bluecheese
Planted Member

I just had a thought. What if I elevated one end of the big log? Either rise up from back left to front right, or from front right up to back left? I need to play with this idea when I get a second.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #29
GimmeGills
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
I just had a thought. What if I elevated one end of the big log? Either rise up from back left to front right, or from front right up to back left? I need to play with this idea when I get a second.
When I first saw your pics I thought the same thing....prop it up and show us some more pics!
GimmeGills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #30
bluecheese
Planted Member

I'll have to do that tonight or tomorrow and take some pictures for some opinions. I'm off of work tomorrow, so I plan on doing some serious work on this bad boy.

A tangent: I went to the Quickie Mart close to my house yesterday. In the parking lot, there was a guy cutting his own hair inside of his car. Watching him work was mesmerizing. The best part was, when he was done and got out of his car, his hair looked really good.