Temp fluctuations
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Jomamma
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Temp fluctuations

Is a 1.5 to 2 degree nightly temp swing unacceptable for plants and small schooling fish?
Jomamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
jeffdenney
Planted Member

I have cardinal tetras and otos and corydoras and my temp can swing any where from 73f at night to 80f in the afternoon.. I am in school so our student ghetto house doesnt have ac. Gets hot sometimes.. heater is at 72f but it usually doesnt cool off enough at night to need the heater. Winter is coming so my temps will b a steady 72f because I think my rooms stays about -10 lol

25 gal.-api renastart xp1 anf xp2- 2 custom spraybars with diy inline heater and water change valve (so key!)-odyssea-4x24w t5ho. 4in raised.-injected co2 via up inline diffuser-florite and sane substrate.-java fern-amazon sword-marsilea minuta-water wisteria (crappy)-dwarf hair grass-anubias afanzeli (spellcheck)-telanthera cardinalis-10 tiger barbs-6 glofish tetras-7 otocinclus -1 german blue ram. females died.-2 albino corydoras. I know need 6
ei dosing and 6 hours light 100%
jeffdenney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Jomamma
Algae Grower

Wow that's quite a swing. I am new to the planted hobby but spent years in the reef scene. A 2 degree nightly change in a reef tank could begin to cause problems down the road.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
jeffdenney
Planted Member

Yeah im not sure if mine is extreme or bad but my plants grow well and I rarely lose fish so its working right now. Im sure most would suggest a cooler for my tank but I cant afford one.

25 gal.-api renastart xp1 anf xp2- 2 custom spraybars with diy inline heater and water change valve (so key!)-odyssea-4x24w t5ho. 4in raised.-injected co2 via up inline diffuser-florite and sane substrate.-java fern-amazon sword-marsilea minuta-water wisteria (crappy)-dwarf hair grass-anubias afanzeli (spellcheck)-telanthera cardinalis-10 tiger barbs-6 glofish tetras-7 otocinclus -1 german blue ram. females died.-2 albino corydoras. I know need 6
Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Jomamma
Algae Grower

Mine is bouncing between 77.5 to 79.5 ish. Done with college...have AC. Sorry had to throw that in.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
jeffdenney
Planted Member

I would think thats fine. My tank had been extremely tolerable to temperature. I let my heater unolugged once and it got to 61f and I only lost one tetra. Ive also seen it get to 82+ on really hot days. That was when I had t5ho's also.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Jomamma
Algae Grower

I guess those lil Tetras are some tough buggers
Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
sadchevy
Planted Member

Daily temp swings are natural, all shallow water goes through varying temp shifts. Day to night swings are the most common, usually around 4-5 degrees. Deeper water has less of a swing, as well as larger bodies of water. A couple degrees either way isn't going to cause any problems.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Jomamma
Algae Grower

Thanks sadchevy