My 5g iBowl (Iwagumi Bowl)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
fahad.hasan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to fahad.hasan

My 5g iBowl (Iwagumi Bowl)

Hi, greetings from Bangladesh!
I am new here! I am a planted tank enthusiast and a total newbie! Let me start by sharing my last project, a 5 gallons Iwagumi bowl (details in my blog).

Its located in my bedroom which is air-conditioned and the temperature is set to around 20-22C at night. I want to know what can I keep in there, what are the options? I already have Neocaridina in another tank so I really don't want another shrimp tank but if thats the only option, I cant really do anything.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4857.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	205593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4856.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	205601  

Last edited by fahad.hasan; 09-13-2013 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Edit
fahad.hasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Jsquared
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

you can put a lizard heating pad underneath the bowl to keep it looking the same and add a betta fish in there. Just keep up on water changes to keep the little guy happy.
Jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared View Post
you can put a lizard heating pad underneath the bowl to keep it looking the same and add a betta fish in there. Just keep up on water changes to keep the little guy happy.
I've often wondered if that would work or if the bowl would get overheated. Have you actually tried this?
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
bredler
Algae Grower

The manufacturers of heating pads like that (reptitherm, etc.) say that it will crack the glass, but who's to say if that's actually true.

Also, there are small aquarium heaters for betta bowls that go under the substrate. Bettatherm is the one that I have for my 3g Mr. Aqua. They're low-powered and because they're not in direct contact with flowing water they're less efficient though. I have the small one and it raises water temp by ~2-3 degrees F.
bredler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
fahad.hasan
Algae Grower

I can not use a heating pad inside since It will mess up the setup. I dont intent to use any heater. I want to know if there are anything other than shrimps which I can keep in here
Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
liljaime
Algae Grower

endlers, chilli rasbora, peacock gudgeon, guppy pair, dwarf frog, threadfin rainbows, furcata rainbow, killifish... i would try to keep the min. temp at 22c. but ive kept all in unheated tanks and had no problems. most people over look the small jewels that work great in these tank for the generic betta

Last edited by liljaime; 09-10-2013 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: .
liljaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
alex009
Algae Grower

I couple of celestial pearl danios (pictured below) may work well provided that the water parameters are stable. They actually prefer cooler water it seems. The temperature in their natural habitat ranges from near freezing in the winter to almost 95F in the summer and they tolerate temperature fluctuations well from what I read. They are beautiful and stay rather small (about an inch). Still a new addition to the hobby so they can be hard to find and a little pricey in comparison to other fish. I've been doing so much research on them as I am interested in getting a few myself. and I read about a breeder who keeps them in unheated tanks where the temp varies from the mid 60's in winter to the low 80's (F) in the summer. Just thought I'd share with you.

Sources:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...onary-tale.htm
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/cy...rl-danios.html

Last edited by alex009; 09-10-2013 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: more info
alex009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
fahad.hasan
Algae Grower

I've kept Boraras Brigittae at past. Rainbow fishes are not very common in here and the same goes for killies.
I like the Galaxy Rasbora and guess what, right now they are available in my local LFS... they can also be kept with shrimps... I took temp reading last night and it showed me ~21C... during the day it shows ~29C... not really the perfect range for Galaxy but may be I'll give it a shot... Thanks!

EDIT: Since its an Iwagumi, there is almost no hiding spots for the fishes... the fishes are likely to become stressed
Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
idleivey
Planted Member

White cloud minnows, scarlet badis, mosquito fish and paradise fish. And I agree with fahad that the Iwagumi layout might stress the fish.
idleivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Another thing is most of the fish listed with the stress from the layout and smaller environment raises the chance for them to jump out of the tank too.

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
fahad.hasan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
Another thing is most of the fish listed with the stress from the layout and smaller environment raises the chance for them to jump out of the tank too.
True, I don't think I have any option other than shrimps.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #12
Koi Kameon
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Horned nerite snails? Bumblebee or black variety?

Firstly, stunning that you could do that in a bowl. Secondly, how do you feel about a couple of horned nerite snails? They are not interested in plants and are algae devourers--except mine do not touch the long-haired green algae. They don't mind the temps. and they do not reproduce in freshwater. The bumblebee variety is striped black and yellow--actually may not go with the elegance of your scape, BUT there is a black variety that I have kept that would. With the black, you would just have to make sure the seller is selling you an actual black one. I ordered 3 from an online dealer here in the States and one came in chocolate (which I actually liked), one was actually a bumblebee that was just starting to grow the yellow part of its shell on the bottom and the third was the dark matte black. Something a little different and super easy if you can find them there. You could keep that bowl as is and it would still be a piece of water art to me.
Koi Kameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
fahad.hasan
Algae Grower

^ thanks for the compliments! We dont have any versions other then zebra nerites in here. I have currently put 3 pairs of yellow shrimps in it. Despite a few initial issues, the bowl has been running stable for over 3 weeks now. But the berried shrimps are dropping their eggs after about 7/8 days, could be stress, not sure!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
Shimagoma
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Shimagoma Send a message via Skype™ to Shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredler View Post
The manufacturers of heating pads like that (reptitherm, etc.) say that it will crack the glass, but who's to say if that's actually true.

Also, there are small aquarium heaters for betta bowls that go under the substrate. Bettatherm is the one that I have for my 3g Mr. Aqua. They're low-powered and because they're not in direct contact with flowing water they're less efficient though. I have the small one and it raises water temp by ~2-3 degrees F.
Oh and it will too! heh, Ive shattered a 40gal with a heat pad

cooool bowl!
Shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
acejohn
Algae Grower

Very nice fish you got there!
acejohn is offline   Reply With Quote