Major Problems!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
kjacks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Major Problems!!

I am currently running a 75 gallon all glass aquarium.

Filtration = Fluval 306 canister w Biomedia and floss.
Lighting = CatalinaAquatics 3 Bulb T5HO Two 6500k bulbs and
One 10,000k buld for midday influx. Lights are on 8 Hrs
a day. Daylight influx starting at 2:00PM to 5:00.
Co2 = 5lb Bottle with Milwaukee Sms 122 PH controller set for 6.8 PH.
Powerhead powered diffuser.
Substrate = 2 to 3 inches in some spots of Flourite red and Eco complete.
Fertilization = EI dosing with GLA Micros and Macros. Also daily dosing
Excel. 2ml of iron a week. Seachem root tabs as well.
Water = RO/DI From My own unit. Using Equalibrium to remineralize and adjust GH. 50% Change a week. (Just started using this water)

Plants = Altelenthera, Stargrass, Glosso, Riccia, Hairgrass, red Myrio, Rotala Idica, and moss.

Fish = Chinese algae eaters, corys, neons, and serpea tetras.

So My probs began when I just bought a house in the outer city limits, and now am on county water, not to mention the stress of moving the tank that was established for over a year and flourishing. I also went down to three bulbs instead of four T5HO. I just recently started using RO/DI Water from my own filter which is awesome btw. I also switched from seachem liquid ferts to GLA dry ferts. With all this BEING SAID...
Nothing seem to be growing at all and are melting pretty fast... What AM I DOING WRONG?!? The Glosso And riccia are the only thing showing growth... Please Help!!
kjacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

Provide information about your new water. You have so many variables in play it would be hard to pinpoint it with the information provided, but moving a tank as well as using new water can certainly have an adverse impact on their growth. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with going from 4 bulbs to 3.

Side note: ditch the Chinese Algae Eater. If you don't know much about them I would read up on them. Nothing good comes from them.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
kjacks
Algae Grower

I just checked my water perimeters and they are as follows.

Phosphate = 8.0!
No2 = 0
No3 = 5.0
Nh3/Nh4 = 0
Gh 8.0
Kh 10.0
PH = 6.8
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

You need good CO2 with that much light, probably high medium to high light. You can't get that by letting a pH controller keep the pH at 6.8. You need to adjust the pH down about 0.1, and watch the plants for better growth and the fish for clustering at the surface, in a corner, or laying on the substrate, pale colors, etc. If the plants do better and the fish don't show those signs of distress, after a few days, repeat this. Keep on repeating it until the last drop in pH didn't give you better plant growth, or good pearling, or until the fish show some distress. Then move back to the previous pH setting. That is probably the optimum CO2 setting for the tank as it is.

Why have you adjusted the KH so high? Most plants do best at lower KH, like 2-3 dKH. Don't worry about what the pH ends up running at - pH isn't of much consequence, but KH can be.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
kjacks
Algae Grower

Trying to bring kh down with the newly started use of Ro water. It was a lot higher.

How much flow through the tank do I need also?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-10-2013 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.