Pure red lines - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
steakman
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
My money is on those shrimp looking better than any Pure Line I have.

Because most of mine look waaaay worse than the photos you shared when they're young and/or fresh out of a shipping container.
Does this mean that I shouldn't expect much when buying PRL shrimps from you???

Or shouldn't expect anything at all!!!

Even though I am sitting on the sideline, I am learning something from this. So thank you very much, guys.

Have a good day.
steakman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
jumpsmasher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

In my experience low grade PRL don't look much different than regular CRS. Depending on the breeder and how many generations that line has been line breed you *might* see things like larger sizes and larger percentage of offsprings with similar patterns to parents (if both parent have the same pattern). But that really comes down to what traits the breeder has as targets and how many generation of line breeding has occur.

Generally, those are good questions to ask the breeder if you are unfamiliar with their line. Even more so if there is a lack of photos and/or grading system in place.

Things like color doesn't really come into the equation unless you get the very high grade ones - and I have seen very few domestic high grade PRL / PBL lines.

I purchased some APB PBL and I am fairly happy with them. A fairly large percentage of the F1s have similar patterns as their parents. Color is not as solid of some of my Nishiki JPRL, but wasn't really expecting that for the price. I think with some work they have very good potential, if not they are still better than most non-PBL CBS i have encountered for sale.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
And how are you expecting them to look different from regular CRS? Do you know exactly what the term PRL means? It just means that they have not been crossed with goldens and don't throw any golden babies. Sometimes the quality will vary, some PRLs will have better, more solid whites but not always. What were you expecting them to look like?
I agree with raven! PRL wil never throw golden bees. I have seen PRL transparent but mosura or hiromaru patterns.
daboss808 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #19
20241hqw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsmasher View Post
In my experience low grade PRL don't look much different than regular CRS. Depending on the breeder and how many generations that line has been line breed you *might* see things like larger sizes and larger percentage of offsprings with similar patterns to parents (if both parent have the same pattern). But that really comes down to what traits the breeder has as targets and how many generation of line breeding has occur.

Generally, those are good questions to ask the breeder if you are unfamiliar with their line. Even more so if there is a lack of photos and/or grading system in place.

Things like color doesn't really come into the equation unless you get the very high grade ones - and I have seen very few domestic high grade PRL / PBL lines.

I purchased some APB PBL and I am fairly happy with them. A fairly large percentage of the F1s have similar patterns as their parents. Color is not as solid of some of my Nishiki JPRL, but wasn't really expecting that for the price. I think with some work they have very good potential, if not they are still better than most non-PBL CBS i have encountered for sale.
Thank you, have you begun culling the APB ones? Also just out of curiousity, where did you find Nishiki shrimps? Nishiki shrimps have gathered quite some fame in all the Chinese forums I came across, but interestingly I cannot find a seller that carries them
20241hqw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #20
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20241hqw View Post
I guess I'm being somewhat paranoid about them
Has these shrimp given you cause to have extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others? LOL

Purelines will show their best when breeding as you will see F1 and hopefully F2 show no golden offspring.

The Quality and intensity of the color and thickness of shells is derived from the selective breeding. The photos you will see online often sell for $500 and up in asia and will likely never make their way into the states given that the market in Japan, and asia are rather fierce and competitive in contrast to being a niche here. Just want to set your expectations as much of these details are rarely discussed openly.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #21
Alpha Pro Breeders
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

My Pure lines our a mixture of Crimson Taiwans and some Benibachi I got. I'm pretty happy with the way the adult colorations are, but you have to let them mature and at the very least get acclimated to their new tanks. If their stressed you will not see them in their best colors.
Alpha Pro Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #22
jumpsmasher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20241hqw View Post
Thank you, have you begun culling the APB ones? Also just out of curiousity, where did you find Nishiki shrimps? Nishiki shrimps have gathered quite some fame in all the Chinese forums I came across, but interestingly I cannot find a seller that carries them
I won't exacting use the word "culling" with them as they are all fairly good looking shrimps but i do plan on pairing a few off that I like the most.

Max from Benibachi USA/ Fancy Shrimps is the person to hit up for JPRL, not sure when his next import is, last time I talked to him he was still in Japan. I do like how he sold his last batch of shrimps though. He had photos of each individual so you know exactly which one you are getting. I rather pay $200 for an individual shrimp and know exactly what I am getting than take my chances with $200 worth of multiple lower grades ones. But to each their own.

As other has said as well as Ron from APB, you have to let them settle and mature a bit. I think you will be happy with quality of Ron's shrimps, I know I was!

Tags
line, prl, pure, red, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.