Planted Turtle Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
k3xx
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted Turtle Tank

For the longest time I have wanted some kind of reptile. I wanted anything, snake, turtle, lizard, absolutely anything. I still live with my parents and so any animal request had to go through them, and of course, the answer has always been a resounding 'no'. Finally, however, I have put my foot down and decided to get an aquatic turtle. My parents decided that they don't really care as long as they dot have to deal with it. So yay! Turtle time! I researched some turtles and really fell in love with map turtles, particularly Pearl River map turtles. So, taking advantage of Petco's dollar per gallon sale, I bought a 29 gallon. I was very bummed because a 40B is an inch, A MEASLY, GOOD FOR NOTHIN', BACKSTABBING INCH too wide for where I keep my tank! Seeing that 30 gallons are not popular in stores, and unwilling to buy one online, I settled on the 29, as it is decently large to keep a relatively small turtle (and guppies for him to munch on!) in for a while.
I am looking up what plants are okay to keep with turtles, and I have some but I WANT MORE! I want to know what plants are really okay to keep in the tank with my soon-to-be new best poikilothermic pal. So far I know for sure that anacharis and amazon sword are absolutely fine with them, along with duckweed, frogbit, and water lettuce. I really need to do more in-depth research though, because I really do want the tank to be well-planted! If anyone knows more safe plants, I'd really appreciate the tip. I'll post pictures soon, once all the dust and mud settle from the substrate!
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I'm all for a planted turtle tank (as I have one) however none of the plants are below the waters surface. Anything I have ever put in the tank has been eaten in minutes. All my plants grow in planters just above the surface and low lying leaves still get munched on.
Good luck with your tank, I have heard of a few people who have had success with turtles and plants.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

If your tight on room, skip the aquatic turtle. At some point your going to need a 50 to 100 gallon tank to house one. Along with a large canister filter. You can never have it planted as most turtles will rip up or eat plants. I've a 26 year old red ear ed slider. They can live to 60 or more. That's a long commitment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
k3xx
Planted Member

SlammedDC2, I've read up a little and some turtles destroy plants and some leave them alone. It's worth a try either way!
devilduck, I honestly don't mind buying bigger tanks later on, especially since the ones he grows out of can be used for other set ups. I also am fully aware of how long they live and I am prepared to give him the best care for as long as he lives. It'll be nice to have a pet I can share the years with and keep close!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

From personal experience/agony - it's not going to work. Their claws/digging around for food will rip up every single plant you try. I was stubborn and tried it anyways - multiple plants of all varieties later - gave up. sorry
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. It's awesome that your doing your research first. redearslider.com is a great resource for aquatic turtles. I'm on that forum with the same sn.

If you get your turtle young, you may be able to acclimate them to a planted tank. Either start the tank out planted so that the plants can form strong roots or plants can be attached to rocks/wood like java fern. My turtle won't touch marimo balls either, I think it's because they taste horrible.

You might want to look into mud or musk turtles. They stay a bit smaller than most aquatic turtles and are less likely to dig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3xx View Post
SlammedDC2, I've read up a little and some turtles destroy plants and some leave them alone. It's worth a try either way!
devilduck, I honestly don't mind buying bigger tanks later on, especially since the ones he grows out of can be used for other set ups. I also am fully aware of how long they live and I am prepared to give him the best care for as long as he lives. It'll be nice to have a pet I can share the years with and keep close!
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
k3xx
Planted Member

devilduck; not at all! I know that you interest is in the well being of the animal and I plan to get my turtle from the reptile show next month and I plan on getting the youngest/smallest map turtle I can legally buy in Indiana (I believe it's 4 inch, plastron length, I'll have to check). If he ends up eating all the amazon sword in there I don't really mind (except for the fact thy ive had that sword for 3 years lol!) or all of the duckweed since that stuff grows like wildfire anyway!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Turtles and plants don't mix.

I have a 2500G pond with 3 red ears, and they'll eat any plant we put in there... lilies, water hyacinth, water lettuce, anacharis, etc-- they don't care. It's all the same to them.

I know many people will disagree with me, but unless you have a very large aquarium, i think turtles are best kept outside.
Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3xx View Post
If he ends up eating all the amazon sword in there I don't really mind (except for the fact thy ive had that sword for 3 years lol!) or all of the duckweed since that stuff grows like wildfire anyway!
Mine love amazon swords (all clippings go in their tank for "recycling" and any duck weed I find goes in there and they take care of that faster then the over flow can feed it into the sump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centromochlus View Post
Turtles and plants don't mix.

I have a 2500G pond with 3 red ears, and they'll eat any plant we put in there... lilies, water hyacinth, water lettuce, anacharis, etc-- they don't care. It's all the same to them.

I know many people will disagree with me, but unless you have a very large aquarium, i think turtles are best kept outside.
I can't wait till we buy a house and I can put a pond in the backyard for my turtles.

Tags
29 gallon, planted, plants, turtle