Eheim 2213 or Fluval 206 or something else?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Highlander
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Eheim 2213 or Fluval 206 or something else?

I am building a 20g high and want to use a canister filter for it. I plan on building a DIY UGF and spray bar and possibly a purigen reactor. I am using Aquarliam's (Mordalphus) design for the UGF and reactor. My only canister I have and have ever owned is a Fluval 406. I see a lot use Eheim here and not many use Fluval so I am thinking about trying out Eheim. I don't mind going bigger because I can always put a ball valve or gate in the output. So is the 2213 big enough or should I go bigger or go with something else? Thanks.

Last edited by Highlander; 09-09-2013 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Add
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Onyx165
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think the general forum consensus is that, if your budget can swing it, it never hurts to go for a bigger filter. I was originally considering the 2213 for my 17g, but after some research on this forum, I decided to upgrade to the 2215.

If you're planning to stock the tank lightly, or with fish who prefer calmer waters, the 2213 would probably still be fine. But, like you said, you can always control the flow from a larger filter, and if you ever upgrade your tank, you won't have to buy a new filter.
Onyx165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx165 View Post
I think the general forum consensus is that, if your budget can swing it, it never hurts to go for a bigger filter. I was originally considering the 2213 for my 17g, but after some research on this forum, I decided to upgrade to the 2215.

If you're planning to stock the tank lightly, or with fish who prefer calmer waters, the 2213 would probably still be fine. But, like you said, you can always control the flow from a larger filter, and if you ever upgrade your tank, you won't have to buy a new filter.
i have 2213 on my twenty long, i think its just adequate

if your adding anything inline that would reduce the flow id agree on the 2215

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Highlander
Planted Member

Thanks for the replies. No one suggests anything other than Eheim? Lol. I was thinking if I had a 20 long a 2213 would be sufficient but since it is a 20 tall then a 2215 would be better. Along with that I may put a reactor in.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Onyx165
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acamp View Post
Thanks for the replies. No one suggests anything other than Eheim? Lol. I was thinking if I had a 20 long a 2213 would be sufficient but since it is a 20 tall then a 2215 would be better. Along with that I may put a reactor in.
I think just about any filter is a matter of preference. Most people cite the Eheim's "complete, no bypass filtration" (as opposed to the fluval, where water is free to move through different chambers of the filter in any order) and its long life (10+ years in many cases) as upsides.

Like hambone said, if your planning to add anything inline, like a reactor, the 2215 may be a better choice to compensate for any reduction in flow.
Onyx165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Highlander
Planted Member

Thanks again. 2215 it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.