Hear a teen's rant... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
shambhalove.
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lol, my old man still thinks its impossible to have live plants without replacing them all the time. "They'll just get covered in algae and you have to buy new ones every month" hes says

Your young, people wont take you seriously and probably wont take your advice. Thats life. Wait till you want to find your own place, or land that perfect job, you'll find yourself facing these problems again and again. We have all been through this.

Important thing here is to know your right, your fighting against decades of advice that may have actually worked for a few people. Just keep making beautiful tanks like your paludarium and i can assure you people will start to listen to your advice.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy960 View Post
Haha I would if only he wanted to read :X
I love the plant in your sig.

My dad made his on tank and kept fish. I dont think there was a thing called water changes and aquarium lights. My mom and dad also kept alot of house plants as well. Its actually in our blood. Our family tree or whatever (dont know the name to it in English), are known to grow good plants. So, I got it from my dad. First I started with tanks and turtles ever since I was a kid. Many many years later I moved on to fish. Maybe 5 years ago I moved on to plants. Its been about 3 years since I moved to the proper high tech setup. We have alot of house plants, our balcony is somewhat of a jungle atm. I have alot of succulents, aloe and agave. It seems my interest in plants are going higher and higher.

There are videos of when I was a baby and my dads tank is in the view as well. I jokingly bug my dad on how bad the tank was kept and the poor fish

Its tuff when its your dad, but you just gotta listen, even if he is wrong. Maybe explain to him when the mood is right.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
gy960
Algae Grower

Aww thanks for your insights guys, really appreciate it
gy960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #19
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Well to start off:

I'm impressed by your grammar. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic. I wish more teenagers (well to be honest I should say PEOPLE) in this country were as well spoken (typed?) as you are.

As far as your situation, I applaud you for your diligence. Keep it up. I agree you need to respect your parents, but that doesn't mean they should just walk all over you, including stocking your tank against your wishes. They should respect you enough to let you take care of that by yourself. Maybe you could ask your father to reserve his stocking choices to his own tanks and you can do yours as you see fit.
Bandit1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #20
tao
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Good for you, I'm a lot less patient with my dad. Having a single bigger tank to work on together might be a little more of a happy medium for both of you than a nano. If you are setting a tank up for him, as long as the fish won't suffer too much set it up the way he wants. If he wants angels, personally I would love to plant the 40 gallon breeder that you might need to get eventually.

Assuming that he hasn't looked at the planted tanks much recently, I'd flip through the AGA galleries with him. No reading involved and tons of setup descriptions. One day I was showing them to my 87 year old grandmother, who completely got what most of the designs were trying to do. She's the only relative I have who does, seriously.

After all the sharing, do what you want in your own tanks.

I wouldn't care about the opinion of random people in pet shops. It may help to pose your point to the salesperson in front of the customer as a question-styled objection. Either the salesperson will have an answer (possibly completely made up), bow to authority, or blow you off again.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
Jomamma
Algae Grower

" old dog new tricks" comes to mind.
Jomamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

Hmm I'm from Singapore too and sometimes I feel that the problem is exacerbated here because as a exporter/re-exporter of aquatics, both plants and fish come at a very cheap price. Micro rasboras cost 0.4USD per fish, tetras about 0.6USD to 1.5USD. Stem plants come in bunches of 5-10 cost about 0.8 - 1.3USD per bunch. Sulawesi shrimp at 4USD ha.

What comes cheaply is often not treasured, and the accessibility means many people just experiment without doing much research. I've seen 1.5 feet red tail catfish keep in 2 ft tanks and have even seen an arowana eating a blood parrot kept in the same tank at a shop before.

I think the situation has improved over the years. Number of non-aquatic plant species being sold as aquatic has decreased, understanding of filtration and cycling is more widespread (I suspect due to the rise of people keeping expensive CRS). The sector that has more damaging implications is the marine pet trade, where almost everything is poached from nature, unsustainably so, and there is real permanent damage to tropical reefs in the area.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm a couple years into 30s and people still don't listen to me, my mother and wife included. Tell them once, then quietly stew and wait for that golden moment that may or may not occur when you patiently wait for them to finish talking, give a few moments of silent contemplation, and say "told you so..." It's the only satisfaction you can ever hope to achieve with some people.
Nightspell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
Paxx
Algae Grower

Try telling your dad you need to learn from your own mistakes. Tell him doing this will help you to become more independent and well rounded. Then continue as you have been doing, learning and applying what you learn as needed to reach your goals, aquatic or otherwise.

Then, perhaps, the old dog will learn new tricks once seeing your results. Or not, don't worry about it - in the end it is his problem not yours.
Paxx is offline   Reply With Quote