Need ideas to get rid of the CO2 mist bubbles....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Need ideas to get rid of the CO2 mist bubbles....

I am using a Ista max CO2 reactor, the small one and about to switch to the large one. Well, with the amount of CO2 I injected and the flow rate of my Eheim 2217 filter with a badly deformed impeller, by the end of the day, the CO2 would gradually build up by more than half of the CO2 chamber. The reduced flow rate, for whatever the reasons, can't dissolve the CO2 fast enough than it is being injected. I am about to switch to a Rena Flistar XPM filter with over 350+ gph flow rate. On Tuesday. This would only give me sufficient flow rate to equally mix in my CO2. So that I won't get half of the reactor trapped with more CO2 than water. I am pretty sure I would still get CO2 mist bubbles coming from the outlet pipe.

Are there ways to trap these bubble mists before they enter into my tank? The Rena filter comes with a standard spraybar. How about daisy chain my 2 Ista max reactors and only injecting CO2 to the large one. Then, the water would by pass the small one before returning back to the tank.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you haven't bought the large one yet... wait. Look into building your own. Either a Rex style or a Cerges Style. I have the medium Ista and it is the worst piece of CO2 equipment I have. I built my own Cerges and Rex Griggs style reactors and they are both better, run quieter, and NO MIST in my tanks.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'll second the Creges reactor (haven't tried the griggs). I have one, and there are zero bubbles, and it cost me < $20 to make.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

The ISTA reactor works fine for lower flow rates, like a 2213 for instance, but it doesn't scale up too well. Either the cerges or rex grigg will work, but if you make a Rex Grigg, make sure you use large enough diameter piping or a long enough reactor tube to account for your flow rate.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Even though I have yet to try a reactor, only various diffusers, I would just build one. It's cheap, simple, and have proven itself to work well. I just don't have the space to try it out in my stand.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just built a Rex griggs style reactor and I have 0 bubbles coming out. Its also extremely quiet. I have it in my bedroom and I can't even tell its running.
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.