all my shrimp died last night! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Wojo77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
i dose 1 drop per gallon every 3 days =/ and that already feels like alot for my tank. Sorry to hear about your shrimps =(
Is your tank a nano? Do you think if I did what you do but only once a week that would be safe for the shrimp and enough for the plants?
Wojo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

er dont appreciate the giant words.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
Wojo77
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
er dont appreciate the giant words.
Sorry they show up better on my phone screen I won't do it anymore
Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo77 View Post
Is your tank a nano? Do you think if I did what you do but only once a week that would be safe for the shrimp and enough for the plants?
It should be fine. I only dose my neo tanks, and they are 2.5, 2x 6 gallons. Hopefully, you will have better luck with your next batch. Its a good idea to start low and increase the dose slowly to let them get use to it.
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo77 View Post
So I just ordered some new RCS. Should I just not dose the excel and kcl? I want my shrimp to be safe but I also dont want my plants to die. How often would u recommend dossing?
Flourish?
Flourish excel?
Kcl (NO-SAlT)?
My plants have been showing strong growth, and I'm afraid if I cut back on my nutrients they will slow or become malnourished. But I am still really new to planted tanks and I really haven't a clue what the best amount of fertilizer would be.
To be honest this is why most folks choose planted tank OR shrimp tank. Some folks have luck with both but that's not the norm from what I've seen.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Wojo77
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
To be honest this is why most folks choose planted tank OR shrimp tank. Some folks have luck with both but that's not the norm from what I've seen.
Lol yeah I started with just plants but then they Started building up algae on the leaves and I was told the shrimp would help keep it clean. But after I had the shrimp a few days I was hooked! I think my tank would be so boring without them. I will just have to find a balance that keeps plants and shrimp happy.

So I tore apart the tank looking for survivors and I found 1! Lol just one. I wonder how it is all the rest died but not him? But anyway got the tank back together and water changed so in a week or so it will be time to try again with a new batch of shrimp.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

If you're set on keeping shrimp in heavily fertilized tanks, you should just switch to pressurized CO2. Get a nice dual-stage regulator.

Based on the photo of the tank you provided, it doesn't look like you need to bother with Excel or tons of ferts. Slowly introducing CO2 to the tank over the course of a week or two (SLOWLY) and running things that way would be much more healthy for all involved than dosing Excel. You wouldn't even need that much CO2 for the tank, honestly.

Better solution would be to start a second tank just for shrimp.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Unfortunately, that is pretty sound advice Ravensgate and Somewhatshocked gave ya. Granted, there are a few who have managed a planted tank and shrimp successfully, however a fail safe way is just to make sure you keep your two hobbies in separate tanks. :/
Old 09-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I only keep Java moss and Java fern, they can pretty much grow in nothing but water. If you get into Driftwood too they make a nice scene.

Last edited by Oceangirl; 09-08-2013 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: ad
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #25
nikets01

Shrimps are VERY SENSITIVE to water parameter changes. Although red cherry shrimps are considered "hardy", they need time to adjust to new,slowly changing parameters. What you did was extreme. A combination of full cap of Flourish,full cap of Excel and KCl in such a small body of water (6g) and massive water change (50%) caused your shrimps to osmosis shock and stressed out => dead. I understand you dose the recommended dosage, but again, manufactures assume most people do planted tank with fish, not with shrimp. I do dose fertilizer, but I do so slowly for them to adjust (In my 20g long I dose 0.5 ml/10 drops ---1 drop per 2 gallons--- per day over a 3-4 days, avoid dosing a combination of fertilizers, and I keep water changes small at 10%-20% weekly depend on nitrates level-which is unlikely out of whack since plants do use nitrate from the tank) That way plants got the nutrients they need and the shrimps are happy. Not like your plants going to die overnight if you don't dose those fertilizer immediately. I know many people in my local aquarium group don't dose fertilizer at all, their plants might not be as pretty and grow as fast as others but the point is plants are okay without fertilizer. Hope your learned something.

Last edited by nikets01; 09-08-2013 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: bold
nikets01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
Wojo77
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the advice I will cut the excel completely, and only dose 1/4 th a teaspoon of kcl once a month and dose 1/2 a ml flourish once a week and cut down to a %10 WC. I have defiantly learned a lot from this. But I feel confident that with these changes I can strike a balance with the shrimp and plants.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #27
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

A daily 2ml of excel is more than sufficient on your tank size. Don't add the initial dosage. I dose 2x excel, 4ml, daily on my 20g long low tech dirt tank. I have 15 Amano shrimps there and they (plants and shrimps) are doing great.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote