Snake trying to shed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Seppen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Snake trying to shed?

Now I have a mystery for you reptile lovers that probably has an incredible obvious answer but since I'm a noob...

So I believe its a ball python about 9 years old that a friend has which he keeps in a 55g tank. Now the snake hasn't shed in two months and recently, its behavior is as if it wants to shed. However, its eyes aren't cloudy nor are there any other signs of shedding other than its behavior. Any ideas about what its trying to do?

Before we tackle the mystery I have a few questions: An older snake doesn't shed so often, right? About how often should it shed?
Seppen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

an adult BP will only shed a few times a year if fed properly.

a glass aquarium is not the most ideal living space for a BP. they do not hold humidity well and proper humidity is key a healthy shed.

also, how are you heating the tank?

a pic would help out greatly to help fix this problem

chad

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't know much about snakes, a fellow chef of mine back when kept a BP. We would talk pets every so often. What I picked up was that if they start to pale and grey in they eyes, they should not be fed. They tolerate household conditions well, but A/C isn't going to do them the best. He opted for lamp warming, he didn't feel inter tank mats and controllers were in his budget, but I know he had that snake for over half a decade. We lost contact over the last few years, but if you can't find answers here or via Google, I would be happy to mail him with any questions you have.

I remember him specifying his snake female, it could be man/woman thing??
Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 AM   #4
TDerivan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

He will shed when he needs to. Once he's in blue you can facilitate a cleaner shed by offering a shed box. All you need is a plastic shoebox or an old (clean) piece of tupperware with a hole in it and some well-moistened sphagnum moss. Or you can simply give him a good warm soak if his shed seems to be getting stuck.
TDerivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.