Red Root Floaters in Shrimp Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Red Root Floaters in Shrimp Tank

So I placed some red root floaters in my 5 gallon shrimp tank, to help with absorbing all the nasty stuff. So my question is will red root floaters affect the ph of a tank. I checked my water a couple of days ago and found the ammonia and nitrates a little high, so I did a water change. When I tested the ph it was at 6.0 or below, so I added a few pieces of crushed coral to raise the ph. Checked water again today everything else is fine expect the ph is still reading at 6.0. I had a couple of fire red shrimp in there and a couple of other shrimp. Today I found two of them dead. I know the ph is low that is why I am trying to raise it a little bit at a time using the coral.
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (46/100%)

I don't think RRF has anything to do with the PH of the tank, except it comes with some poisons that could make the shrimps died. There should be anything in your tank that keeps the PH low: substrate, tap water...
junglefowl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

The plants shouldn't affect your pH. What were they before you added the plants? Did you quarantine them before adding them to your tank? I quarantine the snot out of my plants before I add them to shrimp tanks, I'm talking dips, soaks, rinses for 1-2 weeks. That was my old paranoia though. Now I don't add ANY plants to my shrimp tanks. LOL.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I could not really say what they were before I added the RRF I do not check often unless I see dead shrimp. I know I need to check more often. They were in my main tank for about a week or so.
Junglefowl I have looked it up on the internet and I do not find any information that this particular plant carries any kind of toxic chemicals. I also know that other people use it for their shrimp tanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Dead shrimp are probably because you had ammonia in your tank like you mentioned. Ammonia in a shrimp tank is either from a substrate disturbance and it caused a spike or because your tank is not fully cycled or good bacteria was wiped out in the tank

It is not the plants

Give us the whole details of the tank what is in it substrate and all readings. And thing new added change in anything you do to it

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

the coral is going to raise gh/kh. also what substrate are you using? its normal for soil like ADA soil to buffer it that low
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (46/100%)

Of course the plant does not have poison in it. I meant where you bought it from (or where you got it from), they have something comes with the plants that is not suitable with the shrimps. Because of that, normally I have to dip, soak and wash them before adding to the shrimps tank.
junglefowl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am thinking that it was a ammonia spike that caused the deaths, because I did disturb the substrate a couple of days ago I tried to remove most of the regular aquarium gravel that was mixed in with the substrate. The tank is a 5 or so gallon critter keeper, with a combination of eco complete and fluorite. one and a half sponge filters only because I can not find a hob filter small enough for the size of the tank, temp is usually around 76/78, lighting is a 6500K CFL bulb on for 8/9 hours daily. I also add some cyperus helferi, red root floaters, a couple stems of rotala and myrio, and a piece of aged driftwood that came from my other ten that has baby plecos in it. The next day water tested at Ammonia=1.0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=10, PH=6.0 I usually do not test KH/GH as it is too difficult to read the results, I did do a 10% water change that day. When I tested the water last night it came out as follows Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=5, PH=6.0
I have used crushed coral before to raise the ph of a tank, I also need to raise my Gh, if I read the test results right my GH out of the tap is like at 2/3 and it needs to be higher for shrimp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.