kcl or "No Salt" kills shrimp!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Wojo77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

kcl or "No Salt" kills shrimp!

well I had a k deficiency in my tank so I looked up cost effective ways to get k. So I came across a thread talking about using No Salt. Well it said how it was safe and how several people have been using it for years and so on. This is a LIE when it comes to shrimp! I added a teaspoon to my 6 gallon tank before bed. When I got up for work all 20 of my red cherry shrimp were dead. They were laid out all over the tank like victims of a gas attack.

I wasn't sure if it was the kcl at first but after an hour or so on Google I came across a few other post about shrimp being killed by kcl. So please learn from my very expensive mistake DO NOT USE KCL/NO-SALT IN A SHRIMP TANK.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 09-07-2013 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: removed formatting
Wojo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

But wait, in your other thread you said you've used it before with no problems. I'm confused (and this should probably have been combined with your other thread, I know you're upset though).
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

From some calculators that I have used, dosing a teaspoon in a 6 gallon tank raises the potassium to over 100 ppm; chloride over 35 ppm. Granted that is for 100% pure KCl; I bet you'd still have well over the limit of chloride/chlorine that is safe for fish/inverts though. The potassium doesn't matter a whole lot (until you get to crazy high concentrations), but the chloride is probably what did it. You probably would have been okay if you added the KCl to a bit of your aquarium water and added some Prime or other dechlorinator before adding to the tank.

I could be thinking about this wrong or missing something else, but that's all I can think of off-hand at the moment.

Last edited by ngrubich; 09-07-2013 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: .
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any anticaking stuff in there? Prussiate of soda is cyanide...

I used to give one of my old executive chefs a hard time because the kosher salt had cyanide in it... Wwii jokes aren't funny...

Actually here, I do recall looking at salt alternatives a long while ago, I couldn't find any pure kcl. Everything had anti-caking/clumping additives.

Last edited by steven p; 09-07-2013 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: expanded and corrected
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

get muriate of potash on eBay, that's what I use and it lasts for years
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com View Post
get muriate of potash on eBay, that's what I use and it lasts for years
Muriate of potash is the trivial name for potassium chloride, the same chemical that has (apparently) caused the problem in the first place.

If you want to be dosing potassium only, then the safest method is to use potassium sulfate.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any follow up info in these last couple days?