New Tank equipment
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
Young
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

New Tank equipment

Ok so I decided to do a "make over" on my 40 gallon planted aquarium. I want to get more serious and keep more difficult plants so I have created a list of what I am going to get to improve my aquarium and wanted to see what thoughts people have. I have decided on the models because I am on a limited budget, but if there are any items here that people would really not recommend I would love to know before I purchase the item.

Aquatek Premium Co2 regulator
5 lb co2 tank
Finnex ray 2 led lights
Flourite black sand substrate

Also looking to enter the world of canister filters and have seen some good reviews of the SunSun filters so I decided to get the SunSun HW 302 canister filter.
Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
Ok so I decided to do a "make over" on my 40 gallon planted aquarium. I want to get more serious and keep more difficult plants so I have created a list of what I am going to get to improve my aquarium and wanted to see what thoughts people have. I have decided on the models because I am on a limited budget, but if there are any items here that people would really not recommend I would love to know before I purchase the item.

Aquatek Premium Co2 regulator
5 lb co2 tank
Finnex ray 2 led lights
Flourite black sand substrate

Also looking to enter the world of canister filters and have seen some good reviews of the SunSun filters so I decided to get the SunSun HW 302 canister filter.
Mixed reviews on this site about sun sun filters. I have the 304b and love it. No problems. I plan on buying 2 other can buster filters of there's in te next couple of weeks.
Are you planning on dosing ferts?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Young
Algae Grower

Yes I do, however I am new to the planted tank so I have not figured out what to do yet. Right now I have flourish excel iron and potassium.
Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have no idea about ferts. But with co2 and high light it's essential. This site is a wealth of knowledge. Welcome to the planted tank world
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I think you will be good with everything. The main thing you are using that could be questionable is your SunSun filter. I have personally not used one but members I really trust have. The Aquatek reg also gets mixed reviews but like the SunSun, many people seem to like it.

I have a suggestion however which is to upgrade one thing at a time. My first high tech was probably my best and I attribute that to taking things slow. I first upgraded to CO2 from a low tech setup. That allowed me to get familiar with ferts with a pretty large margin of error. I then upgraded my lights, then the filter. I did start with Flourite from the beginning though. I feel like it helped me in general but I am also thinking that it would allow you to buy higher end equipment that will last you forever. I am all about doing things on a budget when a budget tank is the goal. When that is not the goal, I know for myself, I tend to upgrade. I am a music producer and we have a phrase "buy cheap, buy twice". That's not to say in either scenario that that cheap equipment doesn't work but if the goal isn't a cheap setup, you will buy twice. I am not suggestion what you are looking at is a bad idea, but combine the budget idea with the fact you may have better luck doing one thing at a time, you may be better off that way. Then again, I am seriously lacking sleep right now.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.