Fx5?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
NorthMan77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fx5?

I was thinking of replacing my fluval 305 with a fluval 406 on my 55 gallon, but the FX5 is only 20 bucks more and after doing some reading it seems like one of the better canisters out there. It really looks well built, I love the screw down lid idea and the drain plug looks handy.

I think the FX5 will be a little too powerful for my 55, but I have plans to upgrade to a 90 in the future. Does the FX5 have a flow control like the other fluvals, or is it flat out all the time?

I can get eheim and rena filstar canister filters too, but the FX5 just looks superior and I really like the fluval filters, they are more expensive though.

Chime in if you own, or have owned an FX5.
NorthMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
ChadO
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've had one for a number of years now, and it has been a great purchase for my 90 gallon. It does have flow adjustment like the other Fluvals. I do find that I like the drain - fairly handy. The lid design is also quite solid - I've had no issues with it. I also own a couple of G6 filters as well as some smaller Eheim classics. What's nice is that even though the FX5 is pretty good sized, it's still very quiet. My smaller Eheim classics are the quietest I own, but they are moving nowhere near the same amount of water. You will need to have plenty of space for the FX5 as in my 90 stand, it takes up a good portion of the one side. Also, filled with water, you'll want to lift with your legs as it is a bit heavy. I'm quite pleased with mine. If I had another large tank, I wouldn't hesitate to get another FX5. Personally, I'd get the FX6 if I was getting another one, but that's just because I like to buy the latest - its no sleight to the FX5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ChadO is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
adamprice271
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271

It would be a little overkill for a 55g but hey, most fish would love a current like that! I don't think that it will fit under your tank though, as it's probably too wide... I would just get the FX5 off of ebay and don't waste the money on an FX6...only difference is the FX6 comes with media, and has a pump that is a little more energy efficient. I run 2 FX5 on my 125g. Had one for 6 years, the other for just over 6 months. I also love the drain plug...I just hook up a 5/8" tube to it and drain to the shower. Soooo easy, I do 50g a week and it takes me 20 mins max. I recommend filling it with seachem Matrix for media.

Adam
125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
adamprice271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Chronados
Terrible Carpenter

PTrader: (19/100%)

I run an FX5 on a ~41g tank, and the current is perfect imo. The stock output actually diffuses the flow quite nicely so that there is a lot of water movement, but not a jet of water that knocks anything up (sort of like a lily pipe). This is on a 24" x 18" deep x 24" high tank. The flow is adjustable via the quick connects, but the pump is noiser the more you restrict the flow. And while it's fairly quiet inside a cabinet, it doesn't compare to my 2213 for instance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.