Did anyone use a PC Fan Controller for cooling fans?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
sonicpath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)

Did anyone use a PC Fan Controller for cooling fans?

I just bought a set of 120mm PC case fans, gonna to start a DIY cooling project for my tanks. I saw someone posted a DIY project for automatic temp switch which controls the fans (On/Off), but wondering if you can use those fancy LED screen PC Fan Controller which will increase/decrease fan speed and shut off your fans once it reaches the setting temperature. I know it can be done, if anyone has any experience please feel free to share, thanks
sonicpath is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpath View Post
I just bought a set of 120mm PC case fans, gonna to start a DIY cooling project for my tanks. I saw someone posted a DIY project for automatic temp switch which controls the fans (On/Off), but wondering if you can use those fancy LED screen PC Fan Controller which will increase/decrease fan speed and shut off your fans once it reaches the setting temperature. I know it can be done, if anyone has any experience please feel free to share, thanks
Yes you can. All you need is a temp probe and the controller. Most of the decent ones should come with a sensor.

Here is one that controls 5 fans with 5 separate sensors.

http://www.aerocool.us/peripheral/touch2100.htm
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
sonicpath
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the reply, I'm wondering if you can just cut those 5 separated sensors and combine them into one which connects to a temp probe.

the project is fairly easy, you need

1, case fans

2, DC/AC - 5.25" External HD Enclosure

3, PC fan controller (make sure it has the turn off feature)

4, aquarium digital thermometer (just need the prob)

if cutting the prob is not a problem, by theory this should work.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
aparker
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

HD enclosure wont be tall enough, expansion bays are different dimensions. with some cutting, a project box from radioshack would serve nicely. also how would you power it?

good idea, subd.
aparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
aparker
Planted Member

also depending on the controller it may be tricky to attach that waterproof probe
Old 09-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

Purchased my cooling kits from Cooler Guys. They offer a nice waterproof probe for cheap, as well.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

Here is my controller setup. I have made 2 of them. Never tried with a PC fan controller though. Simple and safe, 12V DC.

The Big Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
jeffdenney
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
Here is my controller setup. I have made 2 of them. Never tried with a PC fan controller though. Simple and safe, 12V DC.

What type of controller is turning the fans on and off? Or do u just do it manually when u know its going to b warm? I couldnt tell if that was a temp display or controller i n the last pic.

Also which way does the fan blow? Air in? Or air out?

25 gal.-api renastart xp1 anf xp2- 2 custom spraybars with diy inline heater and water change valve (so key!)-odyssea-4x24w t5ho. 4in raised.-injected co2 via up inline diffuser-florite and sane substrate.-java fern-amazon sword-marsilea minuta-water wisteria (crappy)-dwarf hair grass-anubias afanzeli (spellcheck)-telanthera cardinalis-10 tiger barbs-6 glofish tetras-7 otocinclus -1 german blue ram. females died.-2 albino corydoras. I know need 6
ei dosing and 6 hours light 100%
jeffdenney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

It's a 12v DC fleabay controller in a radio shack box. The fans are blowing inwards and do a great job lowering the temps in the summer months. They cycle on at a preset temp and off at a second preset temp. If my tanks break 27 degrees they come on and turn off once the temp drops below 26. I keep my heaters a little below 26.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #10
aparker
Planted Member

buddha i have the same controller. how do you feel about the accuracy of the temp readings you get with it?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

I bought two from the same seller 1 month apart. The first one is accurate with 2 other digital temp gauges I had. The second one flutters up and down 0.3 degrees C. Sometimes 0.2 or 0.1 C. Doesn't really bother me too much as they are a safety, so dead accuracy isn't the important factor, as long as it goes on and off. 27.0 or 27.3 I'm not too concerned.

I worry more about the hydor heater crapping out and cooking my fish. That's next on my list to get rid of. Its my second one that's started to give me problems.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
sonicpath
Planted Tank Obsessed

The nice thing about a pc fan controller is it can keep the temp more accurate and reduce the noise level to minimum. For the external hd box, you can use an old External cd rom box which you can find on fleabay. The total cost is cheaper.