Help me choose some driftwood!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
PatriotP
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Help me choose some driftwood!

Okay so im looking at buying a showpeice piece of driftwood for my new 10g tank, never had any before, and i dont consider myself great with aquascaping lol so my tank is a standard 10g so as far as length goes 15-16 is pretty much gonna take up the tank which is fine im looking for one to stretch across, plant moss on it, as well as some plants. It is going to be a fairly heavily planted tank hopefully haha as well as a shrimp tank! Which of these do you like and how would you position it in your tank? Also feel free to post some pics of your own tank with your driftwood and how you like it!

Thanks!!

#2896 16"x9"x7

#2892 15"x8"x9"

#2921 11"x3"x8"

2931 12"x8"x8"

#2945 11"x7"x7

#2953 14"x6"x8"

#2867 12"x6"x6"

#2842 17"x7"x7"
PatriotP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

The 2nd or the 4th.
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
JerSaint
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Eheim Pimp Club member #541
Nikon Pimp #087
JerSaint's 36 Gallon 1st Planted tank Journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...958&highlight=
JerSaint's 20 Long Gallons of Shrimpy Fun
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...841&highlight=
Profile Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...025&n=JerSaint
JerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

#2953 is my favorite. You could also do a combination of 2921 and 2867.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
Mr.reef
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Get the one YOU LIKE.
it doesn't matter what anyone else likes - it would be yours - and YOU must like it

I don't like any of them if that helps or would it help to say I like them all

GET THE ONE OR TWO OR THREE YOU LIKE!!!!
~
~
Mr.reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

A standard 10 gallon is more of a square visually(even though it is a rectangle). A lot of these branches are long and narrow which I think look better on a longer tank(like a 20 long)
Are there any smaller options? You could buy a bunch of smaller pieces and overlap them making a perfect fit.

As for composition, in almost a square tank I would choose something with height as well as length. I think 2931 is pretty sweet, it has nice thickness. 2945 is pretty cool too it will give you some height and length without being too bulky. It is also one of the shorter branches so you will have some wiggle room for more plants and hardscape. 2953 is definitely the one that jumps out to me and obviously everyone else. The way it's laying is perfect and how it should be placed in the tank, but it might look best in a longgg tank.

I like tanks with open gaps and spaces, not just wood wall to wall. May just be my personal preference and many will probably disagree. The spaces/gaps make it feel larger and less cramped. Good Luck!
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

2931 (4th) and maybe 2953 is exactly what I have in mind for one of my tanks, I'd love to find one that looked like that around here. All the places around us only have Mopani, nothing even close to a branchy look, always big blocky pieces and that was fine for awhile, just hard to plant around and takes up to much of my precious plant space. The branchy pieces i can put moss on and plant around, and mostly not have to worry about the light blocked towards the bottom to much.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
PatriotP
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
A standard 10 gallon is more of a square visually(even though it is a rectangle). A lot of these branches are long and narrow which I think look better on a longer tank(like a 20 long)
Are there any smaller options? You could buy a bunch of smaller pieces and overlap them making a perfect fit.

As for composition, in almost a square tank I would choose something with height as well as length. I think 2931 is pretty sweet, it has nice thickness. 2945 is pretty cool too it will give you some height and length without being too bulky. It is also one of the shorter branches so you will have some wiggle room for more plants and hardscape. 2953 is definitely the one that jumps out to me and obviously everyone else. The way it's laying is perfect and how it should be placed in the tank, but it might look best in a longgg tank.

I like tanks with open gaps and spaces, not just wood wall to wall. May just be my personal preference and many will probably disagree. The spaces/gaps make it feel larger and less cramped. Good Luck!

You know i was thinking that as well as much as i like a few of those pieces maybe they'd be better suited for a bigger tank. Tom Barr has a package that is a ton of pieces for smaller tanks i may buy and what i don't use put on the FS section here. Probably a better option!

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
PatriotP
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
2931 (4th) and maybe 2953 is exactly what I have in mind for one of my tanks, I'd love to find one that looked like that around here. All the places around us only have Mopani, nothing even close to a branchy look, always big blocky pieces and that was fine for awhile, just hard to plant around and takes up to much of my precious plant space. The branchy pieces i can put moss on and plant around, and mostly not have to worry about the light blocked towards the bottom to much.
http://www.manzanita-driftwood.com/Manzanita.html

that is where all of these are from if your looking!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
starfire12
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

Check out the thread in tank journals titled Fallen Tree Branch. You could get some wood for Tom Barr and do something like that.

Last edited by starfire12; 09-08-2013 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: adding information
starfire12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Bettafins
Algae Grower

#2953 nice shape. Not too overpowering.
Bettafins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #12
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I like the ones with a stout trunk, then some sturdy branches.
I do not like the fine ones that look more like twigs.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote