ADA 90-P faulty. Or...? - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #91
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would post this to a few more forums to get the word out about your problem, then send another e-mail to ada linking to each thread. If they care about maintaining their high end brand, and the amount of negative feedback this generates, they might be more inclined to help out.
This is sort of a last attempt, if this doesnt get you anywhere i would look in your area and see if anybody manufacturers aquariums, or has experience and get an estimate to get the tank re-sealed and set square. Your german supplier might even foot the bill to have this done.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #92
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

double post

Last edited by Matsnork; 09-07-2013 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: double post
Matsnork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #93
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

Again, thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Can the distributor or whoever is willing to compensate you back on the tank contact ADA?
Ive been told they have not heard back from ADA. And I have sent two emails to no avail. Maybe google translate my email to japanese and try again... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
get an estimate to get the tank re-sealed and set square.
When I did my research before buying ADA I was totally set on a locally built custom 120-P replica thinking that it was a good way to keep costs down, but it turned out just as expensive or even more so.
This re-sealing you speak of sounds interesting though. Maybe I could even do it myself. But really, as long as the integrity of the tank isnt at risk in its current state it wouldnt be worth the labor involved. It all depends on how things go with ze germanz.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #94
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsnork View Post
Again, thanks for the input.

Ive been told they have not heard back from ADA. And I have sent two emails to no avail. Maybe google translate my email to japanese and try again... :/
I don't know how this works in Europe but can you file a complaint with any government entity? I know it would be complicated as you are in Sweden, the distributor is in Germany, and the company is in Japan.

I look at this like automotive repair parts, it is either a working part or it is not. To me, this is something I would take back as it had "fitment issues". I don't know if that is the best analogy but that is how I feel (I am honestly kind of angry as I do like ADA stuff).

That said, I may go to AFA tomorrow (US distributor). If the owner is there, I will make him aware of this thread (pretty nice guy). Not sure he can do anything but I am just saying.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #95
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

I doubt one could file an "international complaint", but if possible I dont think it would make much difference for a private consumer. Its hard enough as it is sometimes when companies are clueless, and Sweden has got pretty tough trading laws. For example we have a standard 3 year warranty.

The distributor seems willing to keep me happy so lets not get carried away with international vendettas, not yet at least.

Edit2:

According to the Swedish consumer trading laws/guidelines its the end trader (lfs) that has to resolve any problems. So basically the responsibility lays with the lfs and they would have to pay up if the distributor backs out.

edit:

Oh, and when you visit this AFA guy/store, would you mind having a look at any 90+size display tanks they might have to check the craftmanship?

Sorry for all the edits. Its 03:30 here now so Im not very focused :O

Last edited by Matsnork; 09-07-2013 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: edit2
Old 09-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #96
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oh, and when you visit this AFA guy/store, would you mind having a look at any 90+size display tanks they might have to check the craftmanship?

Sorry for all the edits. Its 03:30 here now so Im not very focused :O
I will. I can take pictures too. Have not been there in a few months but last time I was there, I believe a 90P was set up (was having some drinks down the street, don't quote me on that). It was perfect. My local friend has a 60P and 120P, both are very well made. My basic point, I have never seen an ADA tank as off as yours. I was the one who thought it may be a counterfeit/knock off.

If I make it tomorrow, I will take pics of both display tanks and tanks to sell (they are usually out but they often don't have big ones out). I will PM you and send you pictures if I am there.

I will also see if there is some direct email, I don't think they will give it to me but who knows.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #97
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

That sounds splendid. Looking forward to your report.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #98
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
ADA people should be able to understand English well enough.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #99
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
ADA people should be able to understand English well enough.
One would think so. Still, in an ironic effort to be heard I google translated a summarized version of my mail to Japanese. Both the sign version and in western letters.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #100
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That sounds splendid. Looking forward to your report.
So unfortunately I did not have much time at AFA. They had a 90P setup (notice old logo) but not out for sale. I didn't have time to speak to anyone and my pictures came out a bit blurry. It was hard to get a good angle as they had many tanks for sale right infront of the display tanks. Hopefully the pictures at least help. I can verify what I already knew, all there tanks were as close to perfect as it gets.

I wonder if you may try calling AFA and see if they can help you either get a better contact, or maybe they would be nice enough to try to help. I haven't found them to be particularly helpful or hard to deal with myself, they aren't bad but are just so busy. If they have pride in the brand they stand behind, I would think they could do something for you.

Here are the few pictures I got, sorry some are a bit blurry but you can see that their are no noticeable flaws both in how square the tank is and the silicone work. What looks what could be an imperfection on the top right of the tank is just some algae on the front glass.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #101
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks a bunch!

First pictures Ive seen (after hours of googling) that really show how close the tank follows the stand. Any alignment issues would be very noticeable if I had an ADA stand. The tank would hang over the edge. That is an ADA stand in the picture isnt it?

My non-ADA stand has an extra 5mm width.

A few months after I ordered my tank, ADA Norway became the official Nordic dealer. So Ill be contacting them to hear if theyve had any faulty tanks come through and what experiences with ADA customer support. I ll leave the yank-dealer alone for now
Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #102
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

I am not familiar enough with ADA stands to know a real one from a different brand or DIY. I don't think AFA sells any DIY stands but I don't know. They did have a few stands (only one on display, all others for sale) that didn't look like any ADA stand I have seen, it had a raised or recessed section, I can't remember off the top of my head. They didn't seem to be as nice as the other stands on display. That stand was probably the nicest looking, if you like white, of all the stands there. If it is not ADA, it was still an excellent quality stand and fit the tank perfectly without any gaps or edge hanging over, etc. Perfectly matched, felt it with my fingers.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #103
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok so today I got some good news from my local ADA "retailer". ADA Germany is looking into sending me a new tank and I really hope they do not back out. Fingers crossed!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #104
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Great!
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #105
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Very good to hear. This thread actually got me thinking that I would not likely buy an ADA tank online or shipped for that matter. I am lucky enough to have AFA in my area but that doesn't mean they have everything in stock which could take months. My only reason for saying that is I hope they are paying attention because this should have been a straight forward affair, IMO. I actually decided to skip ADA lily pipes (stainless) due to seeing more rust than I would have expected on a display, with this thread in the back of my head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.