Big Al's in Philly
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 05-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
Shay
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Big Al's in Philly

Big Al's is opening in Plymouth Meeting on 5/15.
4 X 65 coralife light
Pressurized CO2

Member of The Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com), GWAPA and AGA.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
foamerdave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

its open but don't think you are going to get the same price's as on line (Eheim 2217 on-line 120 at store 169) Kent additives way high (my fls sells them for less) Form what i have heard they don't price match either
I will reserve judgment on the fish room for now as it looks like all the tanks are still cycling and shows in the fish (stock and quality) but the fish room is big. Had a fair sized plant set up but no were near the plant room out at That Fish Place
will have to give it some time to see if its any good, but as of right now I can get stuff cheaper at Pet Smart with there price match
foamerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Shay
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

although I'm reserving judgment for the time being also I will point out that they do price match. The sign is on the front door. The prices seemed all over the place on saturday. There were some real good deals and some proces that were way out of line with the competition. The owner (former owner of Martin's Aquarium) was marking down prices on the fly when we were there. Anytime I have seen a price that was lower on a shop's website I have pointed it out and asked for the lower price. Never been a problem.
4 X 65 coralife light
Pressurized CO2

Member of The Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com), GWAPA and AGA.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
fredyk
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Wow! Martins aquarium.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #5
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban

Yeah, he was the original owner before his partner took the store in a less "fish only" direction. He is a really nice guy. On opening day, he took the time to give us a quick tour of the back rooms.

jB
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
fredyk
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Jason, you probably don't remember the 'orginial' Martin's Aquarium. The sons operated the Jenkintown store. I always guessed it was the sons. The old owner used to sit in a wheel chair in the store and there was a big iguana hanging out in the store. It was a big deal for my mom to take me and a friend to the store, and being 53, that was awhile ago.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban

Yeah, that is before my time Bob was explaining to me that he owned it then his partner decided to concentrate on dogs and other animals, and that was the beginning of the end

jB
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
hooha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)

do they pricematch Big Al's online prices? If so that would be cool.....
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
foamerdave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Martin's Aquarium o i remember it well from when i was a kid loved that place, till they put parrots is the tank alley's
foamerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
chickenball z
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooha View Post
do they pricematch Big Al's online prices? If so that would be cool.....
the BA stores in Ontario do not pricematch their own online prices
chickenball z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
KnaveTO
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Actually they do pricematch their online prices in all stores in the chain. However you must make sure that you are reviewing the correct price as they show them in USD and CAD. If you notice a price in the currency of your country and the store is selling higher they will match it... you just need to chat with the staff about it. Again though make sure you are reviewing the BigAlsOnline site in your local currency and not another. Got into a bit of an embarrasing situation with that one myself... LOL

Big Al's policy is to price match any advertised special from a brick and mortar store. They will not pricematch for online retailers with the one exception being their own online store.

Hope this helps

This information I got from Al Saul himself. On a side note nice to see a Canadian retailer making it down south of the boarder.
KnaveTO is offline   Reply With Quote