New to shrimp, where are they?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Bluebugs
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

New to shrimp, where are they?

So I bought my first batch of CRS yesterday. I got 10 for the price of 8 (still pretty pricey). When I woke up today to look at the guys, I had to look FOR them. One is prancing around, one is in the HOB (how do I get him out?), and the others are nowhere to be seen.

Is this normal? I have some marimo balls, a few rocks, a couple wisteria plants, a little christmas moss, and some java fern. Should I just be patient with them? I have a 3-day refund guarantee on them from my LFS, but only if I bring in little corpses. And I haven't found any bodies.

I have them in a fluval edge BTW. All stock, nothing altered.
Bluebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

A picture would help. If it's planted well, they're probably just picking at the plants somewhere you cant see. But if you see 1 in the filter, chances are there are more. Hope that they dont get chopped up by the impeller though. Take them out ASAP and fid a way to prevent it from happening again.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

And post your parameters!
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (12/100%)

If you are going to keep shrimp with that type of filter you will need to cover up the intake. Fluval makes little sponges that fit over their intakes that are fairly cheap and look nice. For a cheaper/temp. solution you can use a panty hose to cover it as well. This just covers your issue with shrimp in your filter though. Sometimes they will still manage to get in the outflow too.
water-kitties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/97%)

Welcome to shrimp keeping! Yes, make sure you post your parameters so we can get an understanding of whats going on in your tank.

List the

pH
Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
TDS *you'll need a TDS meter for this*

Is your tank cycled? Post a picture of your tank too!

You will definitely need something to cover the HoB Filter, like Water-kitties said, grab a fluval sponge filter, they are about $2.50 each. The shrimps also like to graze on it because microorganisms grow in it.
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

You can skip the TDS meter if you want but GH/KH would be nice to know in the params. TDS can be figured from those numbers, not really the reverse.

And as far as shrimp go, in new environments yes, they hide. They can hide for a day to several days before they are comfortable enough to come out.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Bluebugs
Planted Member

Thank you to everyone! I will post pics and parameters soon, been a busy past couple days.

I found them! One was in the HOB, at least, the visible part. The others were all under my filter cartridge, just looking up at me. Unfortunately, we did lose one of them in the whole debacle (RIP Marty). They are now swimming free, and I couldn't get part of Marty's body out of the tank, so I left it as a little snack.

Yes, the tank was cycled (using fish flakes, and I seeded like a billion shrimp into the tank).

How often should I feed these buggers? I have some algae wafers (too much for 10 shrimp). Sinking pellets, flakes (prefer not to use), and home-made veggie and egg frozen food.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

You can break little pieces of the algae wafer off. For 10 shrimp I'd feed a piece this big __ 3-4 times a week and if the tank is established and has biofilm you might not even feed that much.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Charrr89

PTrader: (14/100%)

How big is ur hob intake? That's rough. I get paranoid once my shrimps start chilling by my intake...

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Bluebugs
Planted Member

The HOB intake is just enough for a shrimp to fit into, but I covered it with some pantyhose until I buy a pre-filter.

I also dropped a 2 pellets in and they are loving it. I may have some film, mostly on the wood, but I'm sure more will develop.

I tested and Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0. Nitrate is about 20 ppm. PH is 6.5-7 (honestly, I am so bad at reading these things). And I just noticed, I have about 100 or so planeria in my tank. Next time I do a fishless cycle, I'm not using fish food.

And here's a crappy pic;

Sorry. Phone is the only camera option I have right now. As you can (kinda) see, I have marimo all over the place. Wisteria is in the back (might get some root tabs for those guys, it's starting to lose leaves), hornwort is sitting next to the wood, and some xmas moss is glued to the wood (hopefully it will bush out). And there is some sparse java fern. (I went all low-light as the fluval edge lights are pretty poor)

I'm pretty unhappy with the tank in general, but I've wanted shrimp since I got into this hobby (February), so I know I have a lot of learning to do.

Any feedback would be awesome. Thank you.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

I would not have just purchased CRS because you wanted shrimp. You need to spend a great deal of time researching these shrimp and establishing proper living conditions for them. Tanks should be run for about two months to adequately mature. While the tank may be "cycled" that is not good enough for shrimp. They need a mature, bio film loaded tank. Additionally, you need to use active substrate such as ADA if you really want to be successful. I can't even count the number of threads about people trying to keep CRS in inert substrate and having all these problems. Well of course they are!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

How about also filling the tank up to the top. Edges are designed in a way that you dont leave any air inside the tank. You can fill it up to about half way up that center section where the light is.
bostoneric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Bluebugs
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
I would not have just purchased CRS because you wanted shrimp. You need to spend a great deal of time researching these shrimp and establishing proper living conditions for them. Tanks should be run for about two months to adequately mature. While the tank may be "cycled" that is not good enough for shrimp. They need a mature, bio film loaded tank. Additionally, you need to use active substrate such as ADA if you really want to be successful. I can't even count the number of threads about people trying to keep CRS in inert substrate and having all these problems. Well of course they are!
Thank you. I have been running this tank for about 5 weeks prior to the shrimp. I'm not quite sure how to tell if bio-film has developed. I will keep all of this in mind and sorry to pester you with beginner's troubles. I keep a few amano shrimp in my 10 gallon quite successfully, but they are larger and seem quite hardy. I wanted to pop the CRS in there, but I was worried my minnows and beta would eat them.

And I am going to fill the tank to the top, I just wanted to make sure I was done working in there for a few days. After having to dig my hands in to put pantyhose on the intake and pull out a dead shrimp, I wanted to confirm there would be no more incidents.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Couple of things. Planaria can kill shrimp. You need to get that in check. And #2, I wouldn't fill the tank to the top, as a matter of fact I don't fill ANY of my shrimp tanks to the top because all it takes is them jerking through the water (if frightened or trying to get a way from another shrimp) and they can wind up on your floor. It's a matter of preference I suppose but I used to find shrimp on my floor and desk until I stopped filling tanks to the top and kept the water at least 1 inch below the top. If you have a lid on the tank sure, fill it up all the way. I don't run lids on my tanks except for on my 10 gallon.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Bluebugs
Planted Member

Thank you. The fluval edge seems to have a "top" and as long as I keep the cover over the light, the shrimp will be safe. But I need to pop some root tabs in there, so I will hold off topping it off for a day or so.

Also, turns out it's just nematodes, so I can wipe the sweat off my brow!

Tags
edge, missing shrimp, shrimp