12 inch rimless. What am I getting myself into?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
ryanlogic
Algae Grower
 
ryanlogic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: palm coast, Fl
Posts: 111
Default

12 inch rimless. What am I getting myself into?


__________________
ryanlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
BruceF
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Centennial,Co
Posts: 1,103
Default

trouble.

Are you going to keep it in the car?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
ryanlogic
Algae Grower
 
ryanlogic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: palm coast, Fl
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
trouble.

Are you going to keep it in the car?
__________________
ryanlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
ryanlogic
Algae Grower
 
ryanlogic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: palm coast, Fl
Posts: 111
Default

For real though.... What should I do?
__________________
ryanlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Charrr89
031209
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 741
Default

Did u tell ur partner u were getting another tank ? Why are u in trouble? Lol
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
ryanlogic
Algae Grower
 
ryanlogic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: palm coast, Fl
Posts: 111
Default

I want to go with a minimalistic/Japanese style, with glass pipes and diffuser Etc.

I want to keep a moderate budget, but at the same time I have a "do it right the first time" mentality

I would welcome product suggestions in the following categories.

1. Black, white, or no background?

2. Rocks?

3. driftwood?

4. Soil?

5. filter/Lilly pipes?

6. Other glassware
__________________
ryanlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
ryanlogic
Algae Grower
 
ryanlogic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: palm coast, Fl
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
Did u tell ur partner u were getting another tank ? Why are u in trouble? Lol
No everything is fine. just have to be a little frugal.
__________________
ryanlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Centennial,Co
Posts: 1,103
Default

I think these tanks are best with no background and Island Scapes.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Charrr89
031209
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlogic View Post
No everything is fine. just have to be a little frugal.
Lol. That's what I said last week when I took a 12 long home..... =D life of a hobbyist right?!
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
Charrr89
031209
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 741
Default

Throw some dragon stone in there!
__________________

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #11
ryanlogic
Algae Grower
 
ryanlogic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: palm coast, Fl
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
Throw some dragon stone in there!
Where is the best place to get it in the US?
__________________
ryanlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
Charrr89
031209
 
Charrr89's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitmore, Hawaii
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlogic View Post
Where is the best place to get it in the US?
any ada store i believe...?? here in hawaii its easily available... :] through aqua scapes and coral fish. im not sure where ur from tho.
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (426/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,265
Default

1. Black background. It'll help the black silicone seams disappear. See any of my DBP tank journals for details about how that looks/helps. Not using a black background on DBP tanks is beyond distracting.

2. Yes, rocks. Especially if you can find large, black lava rock or something similar

3. If you can find the perfect piece(s) that utilizes the height of the tank

4. It's small enough that you can use high-end substrate like Aquasoil with little expense. Could even get a 9 liter bag of Amazonia for $35 shipped right now.

5. If you go canister, consider an Eheim 2213. Gives you a bit of flexibility when it comes to flow. Will be perfect with lily pipes.

6. If you don't go with glass pipes, it should be cheap and easy to create something that looks good. You could even spray paint Eheim pipes black to help them blend in with the tank.

P.S. If you want to keep things extra-simple, you could create a 'carpet' with, say, 20+ pots of Crypt parva. That would allow you to ditch CO2 and go with lower, cheaper lighting.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
ryanlogic
Algae Grower
 
ryanlogic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: palm coast, Fl
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
1. Black background. It'll help the black silicone seams disappear. See any of my DBP tank journals for details about how that looks/helps. Not using a black background on DBP tanks is beyond distracting.

2. Yes, rocks. Especially if you can find large, black lava rock or something similar

3. If you can find the perfect piece(s) that utilizes the height of the tank

4. It's small enough that you can use high-end substrate like Aquasoil with little expense. Could even get a 9 liter bag of Amazonia for $35 shipped right now.

5. If you go canister, consider an Eheim 2213. Gives you a bit of flexibility when it comes to flow. Will be perfect with lily pipes.

6. If you don't go with glass pipes, it should be cheap and easy to create something that looks good. You could even spray paint Eheim pipes black to help them blend in with the tank.

P.S. If you want to keep things extra-simple, you could create a 'carpet' with, say, 20+ pots of Crypt parva. That would allow you to ditch CO2 and go with lower, cheaper lighting.
Thanks for the input!

Anyone else chiming in?

I saw some stainless steel Lilly pipes I like but they were really expensive. Any alternatives?
__________________
ryanlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012