Broad spectrum, fully controllable LED shoji lantern - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (260/100%)

I'd suggest a different hanging system for the light. It just does not go well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I'd suggest a different hanging system for the light. It just does not go well.
I agree - it actually looked very clean and 'fitting' when it was right on the tank, like a hood. Anyway to do that - or go with a heavy duty mount directly out from the wall into the back of the light?

You would lose your adjustablity, but you the lantern and stand look way to good together to hang that way. You did beautiful work but all is see is the hangers in that last pic.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

It looks like your avoiding drilling into the ceiling so you chose the molding as attachment points instead.

Maybe try some heavy duty fishing line instead of the black cable. That way it won't be so visible and take away from the amazing light you made. It will look like it's floating above the tank or at least just blend in and be unnoticeable.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
the_deeb
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I completely agree with all the comments regarding the hanging mechanism - I think the hangers looks really obtrusive and I'm not particularly happy with how it looks.

We're only renting so any major drilling into the ceiling or wall is unfortunately not an option.

I've ordered a Lithonia adjustable aircraft cable hanging kit and I'm hoping the cable will be a bit more discreet and less obtrusive.

I looked into some of that OOK "invisible" hanging wire as well but I really didn't trust it enough to hold a piece of electrical equipment over an open box of water.
the_deeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Any chance of using the same wood/stain for an upright support from the back (from behind the tank attached to the stand) cantilevered out over the tank? Could run the power cord down it also.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I rent my apartment and drilled holes into the ceiling. A hole isn't some crazy modification. I drilled two small holes and used butterfly anchors to suspend mine. When I move ill just putty up the holes and sand them. I have done this in two apartments without issues, just cover up the evidence when you move and you will get your security back no problem.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #22
the_deeb
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

A bit of an update. I got my replacement power supply and wired everything up and it worked... very briefly. The light turned on but my enthusiasm was shortlived when I realized the drivers were smoking I guess that answers the question of whether or not I damaged them by initially connecting them in the wrong orientation.

The last driver wasn't smoking and seemed to work for about 15 minutes before it too gave up the ghost, but it was long enough for me to snap a quick pic.

Here's the lamp with just the warm white string fired up.

Replacement drivers have been ordered so hopefully I can get this thing running for real by the end of the week.
the_deeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.