Fluval Edge/Aquaray mini 400 project
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
dre
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Edge/Aquaray mini 400 project

I love the way the Fluval Edge 12g looks but i have become frustrated with almost all the hardware it came with. I have replaced the Filter with a Eheim ecco 200 canister filter, put inline heating in and now I just finished replacing the lights while keeping the stock look perfectly.

What i have done is used to pre existing light mount to hold up the Aquaray. I have seen some other posts where lights have been mounted in the hood but quite often there are bolts that need to be installed into the top of the hood and I didn't like that look. I wanted it to be all hidden away as the original lights are.

This is the final product.

Fitting the Aquaray mini 400 into the lid of the aquarium only fits if you have replaced the original filter with a canister filter as the lily pipes give enough room for the light to be mounted in this way. You can also do this with the Aquaray mini 500.

If anyone is interested I can post a step by step....
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Nice job, Dre! Can you post a full tank shot? I'd like to see the distribution/spread of the light. Thanks!
pweifan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
dre
Algae Grower

ya, ill take a photo tomorrow. The aquaray is at least 2x as bright as the stock lights IMO
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
dre
Algae Grower

okay here is the pic of the light spectrum. sorry for the poor quality but my mobile is all i have for a camera. Also, i turned off all the lights in the room so there are no external lights messing with the pic.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Looks great! Nice work.
pweifan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looks good! I used to have a Fluval Edge 12G and loved the look of the tank. Like you, I got frustrated with the stock parts and made upgrades. I like that light you used, and think that's better than what I did (a 27W power compact), albeit a bit expensive. Nice work!

The only word of caution I'll give is that when I used an external canister I ran into problems with not being able to off-gas my CO2 due to a lack of surface agitation, and one day gassed over 1/2 my livestock. I felt terrible. It looks like you are running CO2 (I see a tube and bubbles, unless that's an air stone), so I thought I'd mention it.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
dre
Algae Grower

thanks for the heads up Anotherhobby. I am using co2 but I have it inline. The bubbles are from an airstone i put in to prevent that exact problem you had. To be honest though, i really hate the airstone. I was planning on taking it out once the plants are more mature and really taking over the tank. Maybe i should reconsider...

ps, how many bubbles per minute were you running on your co2 to gas your fishies? I am at around 1 per 4 sec and have almost 100 percent diffusion.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
thanks for the heads up Anotherhobby. I am using co2 but I have it inline. The bubbles are from an airstone i put in to prevent that exact problem you had. To be honest though, i really hate the airstone. I was planning on taking it out once the plants are more mature and really taking over the tank. Maybe i should reconsider...

ps, how many bubbles per minute were you running on your co2 to gas your fishies? I am at around 1 per 4 sec and have almost 100 percent diffusion.
I don't recall how much I had going. Even if I turned the drop checker green and not yellow, it would stay green all night after I turned it off. It never turned blue by morning because it couldn't off gass CO2 in my tank. I didn't have an air stone or enough surface agitation. In the end, that was one of the reasons I switched tanks.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote