5 gal Chi, stocking/scaping suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Zer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

5 gal Chi, stocking/scaping suggestions

Hey all, this is my first planted tank since 2008. I got a Chi because with light emitted below the surface, I can grow thick surface plants, plus substrate plants, and an emerged plant in the fountain/filter thing.

As promised here is the pic
I have some wisteria and a mossball in there. Substrate is some gravel to set a grade, a few pounds of Onyx Sand that was laying around, and a cap of gravel to help cut down on debris from the sand.

I'll be posting a picture here soon, but the two biggest concerns are lighting (I may put a small CFL over the whole tank, but I'm keeping it a fairly "low light" setup), and pH. The tapwater pH is very high (8-9) here, so I'll need to stock the tank with plants that can tolerate low to moderate light without CO2, and a fairly high and possibly fluctuate pH.

Right now I'm thinking a java fern in the back right, maybe some of the wisteria in the mid ground coming down from the back right, possibly anarcharis in the back towards the left. If possible something grassy would be nice for the foreground, but I know that is a long-shot with this tech. I'd also like to have a lily somewhere in the center towards the left side, and something on top (maybe wisteria, frogbit or whatnot, just to decrease evaporation and discourage jumpers).

I haven't put much thought into a "main fish" right now but I'm more concerned about cleanup. Thinking some sort of shrimp, probably amano would be best, and a species of cat is always nice too, though I don't know how well oto's will handle the pH. If I got cory's I would probably have to pull up the gravel and do bare sand (that could work, just worried about stirring it up all the time)

Any equipment suggestions would be handy too, I still need a heater, and possibly a second filter, though I'd like to avoid adding a HoB (isn't there a nano-sized canister floating around somewhere)?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

Last edited by Zer; 09-07-2013 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: pics
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.