Blue finned krib fry
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Blue finned krib fry

Things have been a bit hectic around here for a while and now I have more BFK fry. The last batch whittled down to 7 and they were growing and then they were gone. There are over 20 fry now and I was wondering what happened. I'm feeding first bites 2x a day and they seem to be picking up whatever lives in the tank. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I just cleaned the tank a week ago, kinda scared to do it now. Maybe if I just pull some water off the top and refill.
Any ideas would be welcome, can't seem to keep them alive
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Hello Bonnie,

Have you tested the water lately? Ammonia and nitrates may be higher than they would appreciate. I also found that vacuuming the substrate surface of detris (not actual gravel) helped my ammonia levels drop significantly. Im a habitual over feeder and some of the foods were not taken by some of my fish , while the same foods in other tanks disappear before even hitting the substrate.

If the toxicity is rather high (above 20ppm) for both ammonia and nitrates, do a water change as the fresh water will only save the remaining fry. i would just siphon away from where the babies are. adding an airstone to stagnant areas of the tank would also help as it increases oxygenation throughout the tank over all. i'll be doing water changes over this long weekend as well but it has to be done. Good luck and let us know if any of these tips help.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Mr. Limpet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Have you actually seen them eating the first bites? I've noticed that a lot of young fish refuse to eat anything that isn't moving until they've grown to half an inch or so. Is there a chance that they're being picked off by the other fish in the tank or getting sucked into the filter? As for water conditions, they're not particularly sensitive. I raised mine in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter & 30% weekly water changes.
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Qckwzrd
Planted Tank Obsessed

I feed micro worms and baby brine shrimp to my fry with good results. I also keep mts and red ramshorn snails to help keep the tank clean because I always over feed. I've bred kribs twice with good results, do you have other fish in the tank?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Hello Bonnie,

Have you tested the water lately? Ammonia and nitrates may be higher than they would appreciate. I also found that vacuuming the substrate surface of detris (not actual gravel) helped my ammonia levels drop significantly. Im a habitual over feeder and some of the foods were not taken by some of my fish , while the same foods in other tanks disappear before even hitting the substrate.

If the toxicity is rather high (above 20ppm) for both ammonia and nitrates, do a water change as the fresh water will only save the remaining fry. i would just siphon away from where the babies are. adding an airstone to stagnant areas of the tank would also help as it increases oxygenation throughout the tank over all. i'll be doing water changes over this long weekend as well but it has to be done. Good luck and let us know if any of these tips help.
Hi Albert,

I haven't tested my water for a while but the last time I did all was well. I also can be a bit heavy on the feeding but by the am everthing is gone. I have 7 punctatus cory's and 8 pygmeus cory's in this tank. I'll add an airstone maybe that will help. It's just strange because the others were growing and then all of a sudden gone. I'm cleaning tanks today too, I'll just take some water off the top and clean gravel on the other side. she has them in a group on the opposite side of the intake so I'll just be careful. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Have you actually seen them eating the first bites? I've noticed that a lot of young fish refuse to eat anything that isn't moving until they've grown to half an inch or so. Is there a chance that they're being picked off by the other fish in the tank or getting sucked into the filter? As for water conditions, they're not particularly sensitive. I raised mine in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter & 30% weekly water changes.
I have seen them eating it. I mix it with water and pull some up in a syringe and inject right above them. I've seen them all eat the first bites.
Mama keeps them on the other side of the tank away from the intake syphon. There are other fish in the tank but they're all small too. R. Espei, Sparkling Gourami's, Iriani Red's,Spade tale's, punctatus and pygmeus cory's. Basically most of the fish swim up top or midway and the ones that work their way down anywhere near them get the heck beat out of them, the cory's get chased.
Did you separate them from the mother? Don't even know if I'd be able to do that. When there's trouble they sink down into the echo complete, unless I syphon them out I guess. They'er in a 40b.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckwzrd View Post
I feed micro worms and baby brine shrimp to my fry with good results. I also keep mts and red ramshorn snails to help keep the tank clean because I always over feed. I've bred kribs twice with good results, do you have other fish in the tank?
Do you raise the worms and shrimp yourself? I have chopped up blood worms last time and they went for those. I have horned nerites in the tank, actually I have to add some more snails there are onlly a couple left.
And there are other fish, I gave mrlimpet the list, so as you can see nothing that would really be a threat to them unless they actually were allowed to come in contact with the fry, but the parents keep all fish away. I think feeding some live food would help them grow quicker. Hard to find around here, I guess I'll have to raise them myself. Would you happen to know where I can find them in Brooklyn?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
jellie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

I'm not Brooklyn, but I have microworm cultures and a brineshrimp system I don't need anymore. A few others have microworms, someone might be in Brooklyn.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Mr. Limpet
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like one or both of the parents are snacking on the wee ones. Mine have done so on occasion. Instead of removing the babies you could divide a small portion of the tank to separate them.
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Sounds like one or both of the parents are snacking on the wee ones. Mine have done so on occasion. Instead of removing the babies you could divide a small portion of the tank to separate them.
Wow, didn't think they'd do that. It certainly looks like mom watches over them so well. She chased the father away from them. I noticed last time as they got bigger the father started watching them and he chased her away. I'm going to try and get a divider today and see how that works, thanks.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellie View Post
I'm not Brooklyn, but I have microworm cultures and a brineshrimp system I don't need anymore. A few others have microworms, someone might be in Brooklyn.
Hi Jul,
Thanks, but I've got so much going on right now I couldn't even run into the city for a few minutes to pick up. Got my mom in rehab and running btwn work and there like a chick with my head cut off. Thank you anyways I appreciate it. I would buy that brineshrimp system off you if you can mail it.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Qckwzrd
Planted Tank Obsessed

I HAD some microworms but went on vacation and lost both batches. I got them off of A PT member in the Bronx. As for the brineshrimp, I hatch my own with a home made kit.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckwzrd View Post
I HAD some microworms but went on vacation and lost both batches. I got them off of A PT member in the Bronx. As for the brineshrimp, I hatch my own with a home made kit.

I think I'm going to do the brineshrimp, they seem easy from what I read.