Paint
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Paint

So I'm planning a few projects right now and need some paint advice.

I have a rack that I need to put plywood on but I want to paint the plywood black. I was thinking I should get some kind of paint that would stand up to moisture (this will be under tanks.)

I'm also planning on building a 10gal rack (short ends out) and was considering painting the backs of the tanks (and maybe the sides.)

I'm wondering what paint folks would recommend to be used in both applications so I don't have to buy two different cans, and if anyone had thoughts on painting tank sides between tanks. I'm thinking I'm not going to do to. I don't see an issue with fish seeing each other and it would allow more light to pass through.

Thanks!
0live is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Krylon Fusion seems to be the go to paint here. I've used just a regular latex paint to do my 90 though. Never had trouble with it. I do miss that tank.

Just get a decent paint and prime the plywood first. None of your paint will actually be in the water so it's not really a big deal. Use a semi gloss. Seems to be better with cleanup than a flat or eggshell. Might want to add a bit of mildewcide to the paint you use on the stand itself.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

you have many choices for both projects

I have used a gloss water based enamel on the tank with good results, use a high quality of paint

harder to get great results on plywood, the prep work is the hard part, sanding and filling to get a mirror finish is required if you want a mirror paint finish

You should use a primer and one made for wood, I have used Kilz oil base primer several time with good results, for black I have the store add black for easier coverage, last two times out I used gloss alkylide Ben Moore paint which produced nice results. You need to sand between primer and finish coat, I use two light finish coats with sanding in between.
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

Plastidip is also nice for both. It gives a nice matte, rubberized finish. If you spray it on glass (and don't use the primer) it also has the benefit of being peelable if you ever want to change the background. No razor blades needed.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Krylon fusion is spray paint right? I was thinking traditional paint or roll on.. Costs are lower.. I'm looking at painting 10 10s maybe more.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not concerned really with getting a nice finish on the plywood, as it will be on a metal rack and probably wont be visible except from the bottom.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I used a latex based flat black wall paint for the tanks, apply with a roller after taping the tank trim and took two coats for best coverage. The only problem with using black is that some darker fish don't show up so well but I couldn't bring myself to try a blue shade that I really liked.

On my first rack, I painted the plywood with Kilz and then top coated with regular wall paint I had leftover from painting. I found I still get some water on the shelves and it's not as attractive as it first was.

On my next three racks, I bought some remnant vinyl flooring in a dark color and cut it to fit the shelves. It's faster than painting, the surface is easy to wipe down and the cost of the remnant was cheaper than a gallon of quality paint! You can even run a bead of silicone along the front and rear of the shelves if you're worried about water getting to the plywood.

I did paint the bottom of the plywood a light pale blue color to make it more pleasing to the eye. It also helps to brighten the area above the tanks by reflecting the light a bit better.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Use a simple self priming acrylic paint. Two coats.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think you can use almost any paint for the tanks, just make sure to clean them well.

I've used both spray paint and brush-on latex. I found the spray paint to be less work, but the latex may have been easier/fewer coats if I used a roller instead of a (cheap)brush. Just make sure to cover the top so overspray doesn't get in the tank.

As to the stand, I guess it depends on what sort of look you are going for, but most of the effort is going to be in prep work - sanding/filling, and using a decent primer. I think a matte or egg-shell finish is less likely to reveal minor flaws, but then a gloss finish is easier to clean so...

Also, I think almost any paint should be fine as far as water resistance goes, unless you are planning on keeping the pieces nearly perpetually wet.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.