Need some advice please - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #31
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Av3ngeme,

Haha, sorry to inundate you with information overload. It's like that bing commercial ragging on google. The googleheads are just spouting random info instead of something useful. I don't agree with the commercial but I like it. I sometimes feel that way too. I, myself, am pondering what path to take to beat my fuzz algae.

But, you know what? Recently, at a local fish store, during a workshop, the owner made a very interesting quote when he was asked more and more specific questions that he didn't have any hard scientific answers for .. "This is why it's a hobby, and not a science!"

For the conflicting information, you'll soon realize who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Gravitate to the guys who do, like darkblade, oldpunk, especially plantbrain. You'll notice that they spread mostly the same principles. The rest of us just repeat it. Nothing I've told you is contradictory to their info -- or at least if I did, it would've been accidental. They've done this so much before me and a few have worked with these things as their livelihood. They know this like you know your server administration. So, to me, their words weigh more.

As for the reactor, I see you encountered some more conflicting info as usual. Just breathe, buddy. I got no more facts. My opinion would have been .. reactors work better than diffusers. By you switching, I think you give up co2 injection efficiency. Heck, I was admiring your reactor and considering getting one since I suspect my diffuser wastes gas. I think nightspell was giving you an option in case shutting your reactor didn't work. I take it that didn't work well? I guess we lost sight of your original problem. That is, controlling co2. If you are going to use a ph controller to control your co2, you probably won't need to jury rig the hob or shut off the reactor.

Last edited by ipkiss; 09-05-2013 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: edited last paragraph.
ipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #32
av3ngeme
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Av3ngeme,

Haha, sorry to inundate you with information overload. It's like that bing commercial ragging on google. The googleheads are just spouting random info instead of something useful. I don't agree with the commercial but I like it. I sometimes feel that way too. I, myself, am pondering what path to take to beat my fuzz algae.

But, you know what? Recently, at a local fish store, during a workshop, the owner made a very interesting quote when he was asked more and more specific questions that he didn't have any hard scientific answers for .. "This is why it's a hobby, and not a science!"

For the conflicting information, you'll soon realize who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Gravitate to the guys who do, like darkblade, oldpunk, especially plantbrain. You'll notice that they spread mostly the same principles. The rest of us just repeat it. Nothing I've told you is contradictory to their info -- or at least if I did, it would've been accidental. They've done this so much before me and a few have worked with these things as their livelihood. They know this like you know your server administration. So, to me, their words weigh more.

As for the reactor, I see you encountered some more conflicting info as usual. Just breathe, buddy. I got no more facts. My opinion would have been .. reactors work better than diffusers. By you switching, I think you give up co2 injection efficiency. Heck, I was admiring your reactor and considering getting one since I suspect my diffuser wastes gas. I think nightspell was giving you an option in case shutting your reactor didn't work. I take it that didn't work well? I guess we lost sight of your original problem. That is, controlling co2. If you are going to use a ph controller to control your co2, you probably won't need to jury rig the hob or shut off the reactor.
lol....oh no worries, I appreciate all the advice. Sometimes I just have to let the frustration out, haha. I tend to place more faith in anything Mr. Barr says and I see that seems to be where your getting your info from, or are at least giving me the same answers as I see from him. I kinda thought the same thing after watching the diffuser for a while and then when I saw a few people saying watch the bacterial colonies it made sense so I just switched back. I'll be picking up the pH controller tonight so I'll see how that goes, and like I said for $30 if it's junk I'll use it to sight in my new scope hahaha. I honestly think the little red sea reactor does a pretty good job at getting close to 100% dissolution, though I'd like to have as little hardware in the tank as possible which is why I think I may look into building a DIY inline reactor off of the output of my canister and see how that goes. Hopefully the controller will be better at keeping the co2 steady than I am with constant fiddling, so as long as it does better than human intervention I'll be happy.

I'll post back on the weekend and update on how it's working, hopefully with some good news.

Once again, I appreciate all the advice and if there's anything else you can think of don't hesitate to let me know
av3ngeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #33
av3ngeme
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oh and get this, lol. Remember I said all of a sudden my drop checker was green with no co2....well look at this pic. One is the fluval, one is the red sea....exact same solution in both (fluval dc solution in both)

How's that for a wtf....lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378415267738.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	203817  

av3ngeme is offline   Reply With Quote