OK... 2 10w cf's in a 10g = ???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-04-2004, 06:34 AM   #1
Aurore
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Aurore

I got my son a 10 gallon for xmas and ended up getting hooked on the hobby, especially the plant part. Wasn't long before I realized 2 10w incandescents weren't doing my plants much good! So I went to walmart per suggestions and got 2 10w compact flourescents. It's said that these are more 'powerful' than standard flourescents... so what light 'level' am I at? What can I grow successfully in a 20"x10"x12" tank with 2 10w (6500K) compacts? Can I successfully grow a lush groundcover (pretty please)? I'm waiting for java moss at the lfs but no luck yet. Would love to try some short grasses. I will also implement the mirror tile techinique:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2914

When I move in the next few months I will get (quite possibly build) a 36x20x20 tank, and then I'll build my own hood/canopy w/ the ge bulbs ('daylight deluxe' is 6500K, btw, while the 'aquarium' bulbs don't specify... which one is best?). But I'll keep the ten up also and I want it to be pretty. I have lots of bottom dwellers who like to hide as well.

Thanks!

Aurore
Aurore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

2x 10W incandescents = no light
2x 10W fluorescents = low light
2x 10W fluorescents w/very good reflectors = medium light

Most of the lush groundcovers require "high light" to grow dense and compact.

The color temperature doesn't have much significance for plant growth bulbs, that's why you will not find it advertised. It is the spectrum that matters, and the pinkish hue they emit is a result of the spectral distribution, being heavy in reds and blues, rather than yellow/green where the human eye is most sensitive.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Lighting alone isn't going to give you a lush garden.

When you increase the lighting, you're going to have to increase other things, such as CO2 fertilizer, water changes...etc.

Although, 20W power compact on the 10 should be moderately alright. The nice thing about a standard 10 is that it's shorter and the light is that much closer to the plants.

good luck
Old 02-04-2004, 06:04 PM   #4
Aurore
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Aurore

Thanks!

Yep, the CO2 is in the works. For now I have a 'fine' airstone to get it in there. I will work on a DIY diffuser when I have the chance.

So... I can't grow any short grasses in there? Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for the java moss. I tried to find an 18" flourescent fixture that could hold two ge plant&aqua bulbs over my tank, but the smallest fixture at HD is 2 feet. I'll check around at some electrical suppliers and may still go that route. I could get 30 watts with the two ge p&a bulbs in there... is <i>that</I> enough for small grasses, micro sword... something??

I have 'Leaf Zone' plant food, 'supplies plants with iron and potassium...'. Ingredients: K20 3.0% Fe 0.1% Chelated Iron 0.1%. I'm growing in a bag of Onyx Sand topped with fine black sand (silica?). What else do I need? Anacharis grows so fast I could probably see it if I looked long enough. Everything else seems pretty much at a standstill.

Any more advise?

Aurore
Aurore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

You could try the micro-sword. Although in a 10 gal, it does look like a lawn that needs mowing :lol:

Any more advice? Yes! Get a NO3 test kit and check the levels. They could be 0, causing plant growth to be stagnant.

If you are 100% sure you want a high light setup, I would recommend to go with one of the 36W PC fixtures from AH Supply.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
You could try the micro-sword. Although in a 10 gal, it does look like a lawn that needs mowing :lol:

Any more advice? Yes! Get a NO3 test kit and check the levels. They could be 0, causing plant growth to be stagnant.

If you are 100% sure you want a high light setup, I would recommend to go with one of the 36W PC fixtures from AH Supply.
I agree about the AH supply fixture. However, I'd wait to see how you master your params before doing so.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:08 PM   #7
jread
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest

This is exactly what I use on my 10-gallon and I love it!

I can't afford to finish setting up my pressurized CO2 system just yet, but I am dosing Flourish Excel daily and everything seems good so far.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:32 AM   #8
all4funwfish
Planted Member

Other plants you could try that have relatively low light requirements are anubias. Anacharis also are worth a try due to extremely low cost, and they have faired decently enough for me in low light(although definitely not my personal favorite, my fish love the anacharis). I think the micro swords might also do okay. All of those seem to work in my experience with very similar tank conditions. especially if all the other peices of the puzzle are inplace, and light is your biggest downfall.
-Zach-
all4funwfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Also look into Pearlgrass and crypts. Though java moss gets into the pearlgrass and makes a mess, so choose one or the other. I probably still have something posted on the Swaps and Ads section with pearlgrass offered.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2004, 11:23 PM   #10
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Dwarf Sagitaria will grow in that tank pretty nicely.. but may get to be a little taller then you want... It might be worth a try though if you want a lawn...
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #11
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

pearlgrass will grow nicely for you. I have some in all my tanks and also have some posted in swap n shop if you would like any.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.