advice request: outdoor tank in TX
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
pedropete
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

advice request: outdoor tank in TX

Hello all,

I just moved apartments and now have a covered balcony right outside my bedroom. I set up a 6' tall plant stand (got it for free!) to hold a bunch of my potted plants. I had a leftover empty 5g tank sitting around, so I had the crazy idea of setting up a (potential) fry grow-out tank out on the balcony. I have tiger endlers, so I figured one female + any random fry might potentially be able to exist outside. I would feed the same as inside, but they could also eat the variety of inverts that make their way into the tank (e.g. mosquito larvae). I live in Houston, and so it doesn't really get all that cold here, but if need be, I could net the fish and bring them in with the rest of the endlers in Dec/Jan. I think my biggest problem is the HEAT. Today was a pretty hot sunny day, and while the tank and balcony are underneath an overhang, the water temp was 95 degrees F around 3-4 pm, and tonight the water temp is closer to 90. Forgot to mention the tank's substrate is mix of eco-complete/Fluval flora substrate (got for free from a friend), and the tank's surface is complete covered with red root floaters and Amazon frogbit. I would add some guppy grass / java moss / random cuttings, too, if I add fish.

Can endlers survive that temperature? Can any fish survive that temperature or would it be certain death?

Thanks all!
pedropete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aside from the heat, consider the drop in DO2. Is it well aerated?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
pedropete
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

there's no filtration set up because there is not a plug nearby, so that would be a problem, too - you are right! good thinking!
pedropete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Roshan8768
Planted Member

It depends... could be done. Does it ever get any direct sunlight? If the direct sunlight is limited, or if you could rig up some kind of shade, you could throw the 5 gallon out there. Wouldn't have to have a filter, bu you would need a ton of fast growing oxygenating plants like hornwort, elodea, vals, cabomba, etc...
Roshan8768 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Roshan8768
Planted Member

Also, it doesn't get cold in Houston, but you do have to bring your fish in by October. Otherwise you risk losing them when the first cold snap hits, which is usually in late October.
Roshan8768 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.