CO2 Pressure
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
dave_cool
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dave_cool

Hi
I'm getting ready to switch from a DIY to Pressurized system. I've got the regulator/needle valve/solenoid/bubble counter on order from Aquatic Store.com.......and called about a tank at the local welding supply. What is the normal tank pressure on a pressurized system? I just assumed it would be aroung 1200-1500 psi but the sales person told me that it is a 600 psi tank. Is this what any of you are using?

Thanks
Dave
Shultz Profile
5Clown Loaches
1 YOYO Loach
1Rainbow Shark
3 Headlite Tetras
7 Zebra Danios
1 Bristle Nose Pleco (Lazy Bum)
2 Tiger Barbs
dave_cool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

I have no idea what my psi is on my 5 lb tank, but as long as you get a CO2 tank, it's gonna be the right one. Keep in mind that you're actually only pushing out something like 10psi of CO2 into the tank. That's why you needed the special CO2 regulator, AND a needle valve.
Good choice on the milwaukee...it's what I have, and it make the change to pressurized very very easy.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Most 5 lb CO2 cylinders are usually going to read 700-900 psi when full at room temp (70 F). As long as the cylinder is certified to hold a full 5 lbs of CO2, then it should be able to withstand the pressure.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Pressure in my 5lb is 900 psi when at room temperature. I got a bottle refill when it was 5 degrees and the pressure in the cold bottle was was 500 psi.

Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
bobalston
Algae Grower

Once the co2 bottle is in your house and at room temperature, the pressues - 800 - 900 lbs or so, depending on the exact pressure, will remain stable while there exists any liquid co2 in the tank. When the pressure starts to drop, it is time for a co2 refill.

Bob
bobalston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

FYI

On the regulator there will be two gages, one that tells you the pressure in the tank (600 to 900 psi from what everyone has said), and one to tell you the outflow pressure. You need to adjust the outflow pressure to be around 20 psi so you can control the flow of CO2 to your aquarium using your needle valve.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
FYI

On the regulator there will be two gages, one that tells you the pressure in the tank (600 to 900 psi from what everyone has said), and one to tell you the outflow pressure. You need to adjust the outflow pressure to be around 20 psi so you can control the flow of CO2 to your aquarium using your needle valve.
Interesting...I was told by Rex to open up the regulator all the way, then use the needle valve to dial it down to the bubble rate I'm after. I'm pretty sure my outflow pressure is 50psi...how 'bad' is this?
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'bad'.

As far as I know the tank valve should be open all the way but the regulator should step the pressure down (i.e. regulate the pressure) from the 600-900 psi in the tank to (I was told) 20 psi. I don't know if this is set in stone anyplace, but for my swaglock needle valves it makes it easy to adjust the bubble count from 5 per minute on up. I have a regulator that you set a screw(bolt?) and lock the setting with a nut. I also have a shutoff valve between the regulator and the needle valves so I can leave the tank be and still depressurize the system.

If your system functions happily at 50 psi maybe my informant was all wet.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2004, 09:47 PM   #9
Knetter
Planted Member

If you have full pressure on the needle valve, it will be hard to finetune your bubble rate. I can imagine that the full pressure is harmfull for your needlevalve. You should try to avoid high pressure directly on the NV.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:23 AM   #10
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

The valve on the tank should be open all the way. There should be another adjustment on the regulator, might even just be a bolt or screw that you can use to adjust the LOW side pressure.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2004, 01:47 AM   #11
dave_cool
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_cool

Thanks..............now I just have to figure out how to break the news to my wife about my new toys............. :?
Shultz Profile
5Clown Loaches
1 YOYO Loach
1Rainbow Shark
3 Headlite Tetras
7 Zebra Danios
1 Bristle Nose Pleco (Lazy Bum)
2 Tiger Barbs
dave_cool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.