Deep Red LED Needed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
PlantKiller

PTrader: (0/0%)

Deep Red LED Needed?

Hello,

I have a 90 gallon tank that I would like to add LED lighting to. I have used Hoppy's spreadsheet that I modified to calculate my lighting needs. See attached PDF file.

For my tank, I need 36 Cree XP-G2 LEDs running at 1 amp drive current. I have attached the spectrum of the XP-Gs LED by themselves. Do I need to add deep red (660 nm) to aid in photosynthesis? Per the spectrum attached, I would need 12 Deep Red LEDs at 560 mW each. This spectrum more closely matches the absorption of Chlorophyll a,b. What about adding Hyper Violet at 430 nm to get the Chlorophyll a spike?

I have not seen much data using anything but straight cool white LEDs for planted lighting. If they did add colored LEDs, it was only a couple, not the 3:1 ratio of CW to deep red that I am looking at.

Thanks
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf PAR_Calculator 5 Enhanced.pdf (15.1 KB, 20 views)
PlantKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I notice this is your first post here. Welcome to the Planted Tank.

You can grow plants very well without using the red LEDs, but you may not get the color rendition you want. People have found that adding some red will make red plants look a lot better, fish colors will look better. I don't think you need nearly as many red LEDs as you are considering, and using them might make the tank look pretty weird, unless you dim them considerably. Adding the violet might also make the colors look better, but again only a few LEDs and/or dimmed considerably would be needed.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've found that warm white LEDs work well to get colors to pop without making it TOO red
pwolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantKiller View Post
Hello,

I have a 90 gallon tank that I would like to add LED lighting to. I have used Hoppy's spreadsheet that I modified to calculate my lighting needs. See attached PDF file.

For my tank, I need 36 Cree XP-G2 LEDs running at 1 amp drive current. I have attached the spectrum of the XP-Gs LED by themselves. Do I need to add deep red (660 nm) to aid in photosynthesis? Per the spectrum attached, I would need 12 Deep Red LEDs at 560 mW each. This spectrum more closely matches the absorption of Chlorophyll a,b. What about adding Hyper Violet at 430 nm to get the Chlorophyll a spike?

I have not seen much data using anything but straight cool white LEDs for planted lighting. If they did add colored LEDs, it was only a couple, not the 3:1 ratio of CW to deep red that I am looking at.

Thanks
I guess in a technical sense you have 2 semi-opposing positions:
1) excellent plant growth via a targeted spectrum of specific colored LEDS vs
2)an esthetically pleasing looking tank.

from a plant perspective your red to blue should be like 6:1
from an esthetic point of view well any color from 8000-6000K
(arguable and if taken to the color tone extremes 10000K to 3000K).
Created by adding all sorts of color combinations or just picking one LED

So you just need to compromise either way..

As to violet that is also a choice..

Ideally you could run a purple/pumpkin orange/ High growth/high par lighting and then switch to a color neutral lighting during "viewing hours"... but few actually bother w/ going to this extreme..

Speaking about extremes from the coral world..

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/ra...ion-xr30w-pro/

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/03/r...pro-led-color/

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-03-2013 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: adding extreme
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
skanderson
Algae Grower

if you havent started a build yet you may want to consider using bridgelux bxra line leds for lighting. my new light over my 100 gallon viv uses 4 of the 20 watts at 1 amp apiece and is putting out 200 par at the bottom. i am using the 4k version and find it to be a decent color light. i may add some reds or blues to it in my upcoming planted fw build to add some pop to colors but im sure it alone would look fine to me. again color temp is a very individual preference. as a rule the cool white crees look bad to me. most people find a more balanced 4 k build more natural looking.
skanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Red is powerful color so you don't need a lot. 1 per 10 LED is more than enough. Also that's a ton of 3w LEDs. Consider bridgelux BXRA and you can easily create any color spectrum you want with blues, reds, and violets.

It doesn't take much blue mixed with a 4000K white to get a 6500K look.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote