Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 43
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #631
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Dan's85, thank you! There was some planning.....a some "make it up as you go along." I can't lie. But I am happy that you appreciate it!

Thank you, Chad!! Woot!

My bad, Jason! I see what you meant now! HA!! That's a combination of "true" Dwarf Sag and Sag Calycina from Aaron. The Buce carpet should look cool when it's done. It doesn't look very full right now because I end up splitting it constantly, but it handles it surprisingly well, and i have yet to lose a piece due to constant trimming. I'm going to just let it start to grow together now, and just clip off piece that don't end up growing into the substrate.

TropicalMackdaddy--Thank you, but it's actually a bit boring lately. I need to resupply my shoal in there and get a little more fish action. It is nice to bring my laptop in there and just relax in front of though!

Thank for the nice compliment Hutch!!

PlantMan! LOL!! Yeah, right man! You need an army just to lift. Come on by any time!
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #632
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

I have not been on in like forever, and it looks like I have missed a lot with this tank. This thing looks amazing now. Love everything about it cuz there is not just one cool thing, there are too many to count. Amazing work as always

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #633
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Hey CG Winner!! You didn't miss much....it's been an bit of a trial, but you saw the most important part. It's been my favorite set up so far because there are a bunch of things to see, and plenty of fish if you are willing to just sit quietly and watch for a minute or two.

Thanks for the nice words, winner!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #634
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
it's been an bit of a trial
I could only dream of having such an amazing trial.

Your photography is really impressive. You use great technique with lights with colors, and what's really cool is that you do it in a way that allows us to appreciate your tank as much as you do.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #635
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Your tank is unreal.... just so breathtaking!! Seriously in awe. Keep up the amazing pics & thanks for sharing!!!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #636
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got anymore updates? Have any of the plants on your branches given any problems?

Canon Pimp Club #094
Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #637
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

AnotherHobby and Stephanie--So sorry about the LONG delay in responding! I've been really busy starting a new position and attending to some personal family matters as of late; I either didn't see that you responded, or forgot to respond. I apologize if that came across as rude!

AnotherHobby=I meant "trial" as in "journey," more than anything. At times, perhaps a Trial of Patience! Slow growing plants do not fare very well against algae, so I've had to make adjustments in dosing, lighting, distance of said lighting to tank, CO2, etc. To top it off, slow growers don't really let you know if the adjustments that you've made help them or hurt them for about month. As a predominantly "stem-oriented" fellow in the past, it has been difficult to experiment. The results have been mixed, but generally more successful since adding some fast growers and floaters to take up excess nutrients in the water column. A pure buce or crypt tank is likely too difficult for me to do, if anything, because I like high light and having long photoperiods. The water column would have to be nearly devoid of most nutrients, otherwise, it would be frequently be the victim of algal blooms. I suppose that could be an option for me to try down the road. I've had this idea for an Iwagumi set up for this tank that I'd like to try. If nobody steals my idea first.

Picture-wise, I appreciate the kind words. That's been a seven year experiment, more than anything, just making tweaks here in there in exposure times and lighting levels. Tweak, tweak, tweak. The pictures aren't perfect, but I guess that they're decent enough to accurately display how it looks in "real life." Thank you!

Stephanie=Thank you! I will try to keep updating.

C GWinner=any updates....well, I was "plant-sitting" for a buddy of mine until today. I had plants in there that were converting to submersed form and putting on some growth until I returned home from my work adventures (By the way....Houston is as miserable as I remember it being in the summer time. Ech!). So, now those plants are out, my crypts need to re-grow, and the tank is in dire need of a water change. I'm getting a lot of mulm build-up.

I did get a few nice Crypt Flamingos that seem to be doing well and putting out some nice growth. Slowly, of course. I was a bit surprised, but I experience NO leaf-melt after receiving them and re-planting them. That was about three-ish weeks ago, already. New growth is as advertised, and I hope that I can get a few nice plants going that gain some height!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #638
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

No worries! You didn't come across as rude at all.

Can't wait for more pictures of your tank in the future!
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #639
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really anywhere in Texas is pretty hot, the worst is the humidity around here. Didn't realize you'd be down this way in my neck of the woods haha. Hope things are settling down for you now. Keep it up.

Canon Pimp Club #094
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #640
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Still a stunner.

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #641
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Some updates......

I ended up getting rid of the Lileopsis species for the lawn. It was too overwhelming to control and was choking out my smaller crypts. it's still present, prominently displayed on the "right" side of the tank, and strewn throughout, but I'm hoping to have a foreground mostly consisting of the "true" dwarf sag, which grows very slowly, and Bucephalandra "Kualakuayan"#1, which grows even slower (but it looks fantastic!). Bottom line: the crypts are recovering and the foreground looks a little naked. Otherwise, things are growing pretty well.

Pictures I took were a bit rushed, but they were the best that I could do without breaking out fabric to block the pendant lights in order to take "perfect" pictures near the tank glass....so there is some reflection. Sorry!

Left Side....nice Bucephalandra growth, but you can see what I mean about the nakedness of the foreground. Time heals all wounds--

Top and bottom partials....If I could get enough black fabric to drape the wall, it would make some of these pictures pretty cool. Oh well:

Close up of the top....the Monk Orchid is a "transfer" from my other tank, and may not make it. Had to try, at least:

Bottom, full Shot:

Near-perfect shot.....photobombed by my new additions to the tank (Sunset Gouramis):

One of my favorites: Crypt Pink Flamingo.....doing pretty well now!

Aquatic Selaginella sp.:

Here are the little buggers!:

Alternanthera top down:

Bucephalandra Brownie Ghost:

Just some moss shots:

Top:

Reflection shot:

Whole thing:

Last edited by crazydaz; 10-27-2013 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: fix link
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #642
BigTom
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just stumbled into this thread for the first time. Amazing selection of plant species there! What is your room humidity like?
BigTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #643
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Hi Tom,

It's a little variable, but I would say it ranges between 40-50% throughout the year. The fog helps in the immediate micro-climate, as well as the water evaporation and daily waterings using tank water. I'm getting a Mist King in order to lessen some of the direct waters I have to do.....probably after Christmas, at this point.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #644
caliherp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Incredible as always. Do you have an I.d for that neo. in the second picture after the "just some moss shots"? The color on that one is ridiculous.
caliherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #645
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Hi Caliherp,

I don't recall the name of that neo....I got it from Bonnie about a year ago, and I've tossed the emails over on Dendro with that info, unfortunately. Sorry!